can't repair Error on external HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by alvinrayyu, Nov 10, 2007.

1. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

i've been using the original fujitsu HDD that came with my macbook as an external hard drive, enclosed in a USB 2.0 enclosure

it suddenly died on me, my system can't recognize it citing an error

i tried disk utility and it can not repair the external drive

i tried booting using the mac os x install disc to open disk utility, still it can not repair the said drive

attached are screenshots of the error message

any technical advice/help would be appreciated

thanks a lot

2. dixtreme

dixtreme Member

This also happened to me. My best bet would be to try to use Diskwarrior. It re-built my directory and i could use my HD again. My hard drive is an Iomega 250gig USB/FW.

3. ramil

ramil Active Member

Same thing happened to my external HDD this morning. I checked philmug if there was anything posted about HDD repair or data retrieval. Good thing I found this thread.

DiskWarrior worked well. My external HDD was up and working again in about 2 minutes!

Thanks for the tip, dixtreme!

4. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Try using Diskwarrior 4.01 as this happened to me once with my internal HD. I had a bootable external HD with Diskwarrior in it. Booted to the external HD and ran Diskwarrior which help fix the problem. You may actually run Diskwarrior 2 ways- boot at the Diswarrior CD or run it thru an external HD ( USB or Firewire ok ) I prefer the second method as its faster unlike thru the CD which is being read by the player at a slower pace. Hope you get to fix your HD.

5. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

alvinrayyu: That happened to me with my Blackbook (but the internal was still the internal then). I went around but never recovered my data. Come to think of it, it was a Fujitsu too...

6. bernzki

bernzki New Member

"The new GS40 Express mobile chipset is a lower-power variant of the exisiting GS45 Express graphics and memory controller hub. The new chipset has an as-yet-unspecified lower TDP than the GS45's 12W and supports a frontside bus (FSB) of up to 800MHz and a graphics clock of 400MHz, as opposed to the GS45's 1066MHz FSB and 533MHz graphics clock."

QUESTION: which is better in terms of speed or in general? the soon-to-come GS45 with upto 800MHz and a graphics clock of 400MHz or the GS45's 1066MHz and 533MHz graphics clock?

7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

ano daw? am confused: what we talking about here? the external hdd or chipset?

8. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

Umm, bernzki? Wrong thread yata.