Can you suggest a good HD camcorder

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by kryz2per, Aug 11, 2009.

1. DATC

DATC Member

Has anyone tried to compare the image quality between an HD camcorder and a DSLR? Are they comparable or is one better than the other?

2. winmag

winmag Member

Go pro camera bro! The best!

3. theybid

theybid Member

i use DSLR's for video.. comparing it with camcorders, camcorders are easier to use (auto focus) unlike with slr's u have to manually focus the lens while recording.. and also, the most u cld get with full hd recording is around 10-12mins because of the 4GB fat32 file system that is used by the slr..but still, i use slr's! y? because of the fast interchangeable lenses that captures tack sharp vid and different focal lengths that makes it so versatile! i usually shoot extreme close ups and the 100mm macro lens is what i use.. i know i can't get the same with a camcorder. i'm planning on getting a 60D for its vari-angle LCD screen.. u might want to check it out as well.. :)

4. Mikebookpro

Mikebookpro New Member

Can you suggest the settings for a DSLR video setup i have a 50mm i.8, a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a 60D to start with.

Now i am saving to get an Zoom H1.

5. ruger

ruger Member

I'm going on a 1 year round-the-world backpacking trip really soon and I'm thinking of getting an hd camcorder. Can I please have recommendations for a sturdy, lightweight hd camcorder with very good battery life?

6. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Member

Just wanted to check if anyone has any suggestions as to a good HD camcorder. My trusty camcorder's LCD just broke and now doesn't recognize touches (and therefore I can't get into the settings). I'm considering either getting it fixed or buying a new camcorder (hence my post). I do not need a DSLR with HD capability. I still have my trusty D300 and I don't intend to replace it soon (still works for me). I am specifically looking for a standalone camcorder. The primary use would be for capturing family activities (soccer, honors assembly, etc.). As for budget, I'd probably be willing to spend between PhP 30K and 40k. Thanks!

7. GolfAddict

GolfAddict Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

Canon M52 is a very good camcorder. It has built in 32GB memory. I switched from a miniDV tape based Canon HV30 to M52.
    Both very good but M52 is very convenient because no need to buy tapes. Quality is excellent. You can buy in HK or US for the lowest price.

8. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Member

Thanks! How well does it work in low light?

9. GolfAddict

GolfAddict Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

Not bad. You can read some reviews online.

10. iAnswer

iAnswer New Member

try looking for the price here :) Galleon Saw some good stuff there :) Goodluck!

11. pmonchet

pmonchet Member

Up! Can somebody update this thread. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Is it still advisable to get an HD Camcorder?

All P&S Cameras can take HD videos and some models even have a mic input.

13. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

i think it would be more cost effective to look into cameras that can take good to excellent video, up to par or even exceeding the quality of some camcorders. with the likes of current mid-range and top-end panasonic lumix mft cameras, or even their advanced compact lx100, you can get both great photos and videos. :)

14. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Just realized that my Canon HD camcorder is more than 8 years old. :p Although it's 1080p (30fps), it's not as clear or sharp as it used to be, and it's grainy as hell in low light. Heck, now our camera phones deliver sharper videos. I haven't kept up to date with the camcorder scene since 2008.

Can you guys suggest the latest and greatest camera now? There's a ton of choices in Amazon, but I want real life experiences.

I have DSLR and MFT cameras that shoot nice videos, but the thing is, I still need a camcorder for my wife. She's the one who attends all of our kids' school programs.

TIA!