Can this be repaired? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by koolitz, Mar 1, 2010.

1. koolitz

koolitz Member

[​IMG]

This is my MBP screen looks like... friday night i saw some little squares pops up anywhere but last night it went full screen..waahhh :mad:

is this good as dead? i was thinking that this is part of RadeonX1600 defect :confused:

im using mbp 1st gen

pleas help. tnx

2. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

Looks like a video card problem. I'm assuming you don't have warranty anymore, and if this is the case, the price of repair will cost you a lot. You'd be better off buying a new MBP and selling your old one for parts. I suggest you get in touch with Ynzal or Digital Hub.

3. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

First time I've seen this. It could very well be your video card. Are those same symptoms as other people?

4. Myles

Myles Member

Two things: either you have a busted LCD or Logic Board/video card. If it's LCD, the option is to replace it, if it's the logic board/video card, I'm afraid repair cost will be too high - it will make more sense for you to just buy a new laptop.

A simple way to know which issue you have is to hook up your MBP to an external monitor. If you can still see those "little squares" even on the external monitor, then it's a logic board/video card problem. If external monitor is clean, then it's a busted LCD. Since you said it's a first gen. MBP, I'm assuming it's already out of warranty. You can now try a third-party lcd supplier/repair shop to fix your MBP. :)

5. koolitz

koolitz Member

6. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

for a 4 year old mac model, its not that bad..

7. koolitz

koolitz Member

is there any shop that can repair logic boards? :D

8. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

Try also HotToyz. They also do logic board replacements...

9. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

well there are defects that's still repairable and some defects that aren't.. you have to understand that these repair shops are not experts in repairing mac logicboards so it possible that some of them may do more damage than repair it.

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Know your options with an Apple service center before you go the 3rd party route. 3rd party should be last resort. I'd rather have an Apple tech diagnose the problem then tell you what parts are needed. Then source them from ebay. Logic boards go for $500 average.

11. jamsantos

jamsantos Member

If you are considering going to a third party service center. Try these guys I recently had my NVIDIA 8600 chipset replaced. The chip model has been identified to be deffective and is causing problems across several mobile computer brands including macs. Logic board replacement is just too expensive for me but Im happy the replacement worked well.

12. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

OT: That ValuePC company description looks real good.

13. yuck-o

yuck-o Active Member
    Supporter

try bringing it to an authorized reseller to get a diagnosis and quotation for repairs. when our office mbp (no warranty) had logic board problems last year, we brought it to two resellers for diagnosis. one quoted us around 80k to change the screen and logic board. we had to pay PHP 500 just for the diagnosis alone. we brought it to another reseller, checked the unit for free, and told us that our mbp was eligible for free logic board replacement since it was part of a batch of bad boards. we got lucky and til now that mbp is still working fine. and we didn't spend anything, except for the 500 peso diagnosis at the first reseller.

14. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

why pay for repairs with third-party repair shops if its covered with apple's free repair program???

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

15. mitchtb

mitchtb Active Member

Was about to point this out. If your MBP has the spects mentioned below. You are very lucky.

16. jamsantos

jamsantos Member

You don't think I already knew about this. I was actually hoping that my machine could get covered since It seems to qualify. I have been to 3 authorized service centers and after wasting diagnostic fees and so much time they all say that my mbp doesn't qualify. READ

Basically they say that it's a different problem and the issue is not caused by the chip. They had to run several diagnostic tests on the machine that should return codes(numbers) necessary for me to qualitfy. I just realized that those tests and the system of diagnosis are flawed because after having only the chip replaced my mbp got back to normal and is still doing greatsince then.

What I'm saying is if koolitz has other cheaper options should circumstances call it.

17. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Have you tried to reset PRAM?

18. negativezer0

negativezer0 New Member

if it is a logic board i suggest that you get a new mbp and sell your mbp in retail because there are some that needs a part of your mbp...hehehe:confused:

19. koolitz

koolitz Member

already tried...actually what you are seeing in the photo was already bootup in safe mode. i can not start it in normal mode. the stripes will appear right after the beep when you turn it on. after a few seconds it will have a blue screen and then boom - all i could see is gray color scrambled screen. :redface:

how much, more or less, i could get if i sell this? :eek:

and they charged you only how much? :)

20. jamsantos

jamsantos Member

A total of 5K which includes the replacement of the chip and labor. That is for the NVIDIA 8600, I'm not sure of the RadeonX1600. Contact them first if they do cater to this card model.

IMO, I suggest that you take this as your last option. Apple may have a replacement program for such if it is a known problem. But as for my case I was happy with the service after exhausting every known options.

Goodluck! hope you get your display back to its glory. :)