Can the iPad Pro Replace the MacBook Pro and Other Notebooks?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by HardCharger, Jan 4, 2018.

1. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi All!

It's been a while since my last post and visit, how is everyone?

With the rising prices of Macbook Pros and other Apple Notebooks, I was wondering, can you now work with just the iPad Pro? Since my MBP is now a legacy unit and a new 15" one is so expensive, I was thinking of just getting an iPad Pro and pair it with a wireless storage unit for data and media. Will it work though? Or is this setup still lacking? If it can work, maybe later down the line I can buy a cheaper Apple notebook so that I can just back up the iPad Pro so I can restore to a new one or something.

Your thoughts, input, and advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, I'd say it is highly likely that an iPad Pro can meet most, if not all, your computing requirements. (y)

If you're on a budget, you don't need to buy a cheaper Apple notebook just for the purpose of backing-up the contents of your iPad Pro. Just buy a PC notebook that runs on Windows which a large enough hard drive, install iTunes and you can back-up your iPad Pro using that.

#2 Qin Zhi, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  3. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Well, what are your regular computing habits? It would really depend on what you use your computers for.

4. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

Depends on what are your needs really. But a short answer for me is NO

5. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Based on my experience with my iPad Pro, no.

Roman likes this.
  6. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Basically, typical usage is as follows: email, web browsing, games, downloading videos via torrent, watching aforementioned videos, light pages and numbers work, other apps. No heavy image or video editing so far.

7. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Well, you can't torrent in iOS (and that's a deal breaker for most) but everything else you listed you can do.

EDIT: Well there are creative ways to torrent (after reading some articles) but I personally don't have any experience on it.

HardCharger likes this.
  8. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

This was my dilemma too some months back. There's quite a lot of readings on this from other sites.

But for me, I'd really like to try out the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement for my teaching side line work.

HardCharger likes this.
  9. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

Well i've been doing all my video editing in ipad pro :D

HardCharger likes this.
  10. ebelerma

ebelerma Member

For your use case, it seems to be enough. So far the pencil and the smart keyboard has proven to be useful to me. I recently realized that I have not turned my MBP on for quite a while since the Ipad Pro can handle most of my daily browsing needs.

HardCharger likes this.
  11. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

It'll do. Go for it.

12. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks for the input thus far. Keep them coming. The more input the more data for an informed purchase.

Doing research on the torrent and other stuff as well. Worse comes to worst, I can always check free streaming sites for my TV and movies fix.

13. macsurge730

macsurge730 Well-Known Member

Best combi is iMac at home and iPad Pro for mobile and travel use. ;)

HardCharger likes this.
  14. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Macbook Pro (128GB storage) - S$1,898.00
    iPad Pro (64) - S$1,188.00
    iPad Pro (256) - S$1,408.00
    Keyboard S$268.00

Did a quick check...
    *iPad Pro mentioned above is the 12.9inch version

iPad Pro (256) + Keyboard is at S$1,676, just add S$222 and you get the entry level Macbook Pro

Yes the iPad will have double the storage but the Macbook will allow you to download torrents and buying a USB external hard drive will be cheaper.

IMO, iPad Pro needs to get a full desktop version of Chrome and a full file manager before it replaces my Mac/PC.

HardCharger likes this.
  15. gogetit

gogetit Member

No, since I do Indesign, Photoshop and FCPX. An iPad does not have the power nor the full apps for these.

HardCharger likes this.
  16. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

This is something that can be considered and my daughter can use it for her schoolwork as well since the netbook her gammy gave her is so painfully slow.

17. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

This is a good point.

Hmm, if going this route, maybe max out the storage and RAM on the MBP but just standard video card?

18. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m only a light user but i’d say no... tried it twice with my ipad pro (9.7 and 10.5) but i always end up with a macbook and an ipad pro on the side, they both serve their purpose but cant replace the other... you can live with it for sure, i mean if i had no choice for sure i can make do with an ipad pro and a bluetooth keyboard (i used to have the apple keyboard cover for the 9.7, but now use a separate microsoft bluetooth keyboard for the 10.5). My advice if budget is an issue, try to wait it out, in my case i also didnt want to “splurge” on a mbp when i just use it for leisure and light writing and computing, but got a great deal on a mbp (bonus is i got one with a touchbar) last december so the wait was worth it :) but if u will use it for work i’d say set aside a budget for a mbp, the ipad pro just isnt there yet, at least for me even though i’m not a power user.

HardCharger likes this.
  19. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Good points. I can still wait a bit longer but am doing my due diligence now so when the time comes, I know how to proceed. Thank you for your input, it helps greatly.

20. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

For what you described yep definitely. In fact I'd prefer doing those on the iPad, especially if you travel a lot. Why not continue using your legacy MacBook pro as a torrent download machine? There are a ton of great deals on the iPad pro on olx btw. If ever you're comfortable with purchasing it second hand.

HardCharger likes this.