Can I hand carry an Imac 20" from Manila to San Francisco via PAL?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sylkie, Nov 10, 2010.

1. sylkie

sylkie Member

Hi guys! Is it possible to hand carry a used Imac 20 with box from Manila to San Francisco via PAL? Or will I be charged of an amount and have it checked in? It might get broken or something if checked in as luggage yata. I have no idea. Thanks for your help!

2. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

Better have it checked in. Just pack it in a suitable box with lots of protective stuff around it. I once brought home an apple display, packed securely. Mostly, I used cut-to-fit carton/styrofoam pieces, and towels. I then gave away the towels as "pasalubong" when I got back. Just be sure to pack it in snugly with no wiggle room; also plaster a lot of "fragile" stickers all over. Hope this helps.

Sorry, i forgot to add that I then placed this box into a regular balikbayan box, filled with clothes and other soft things, (books and magazines, toilet tissue rolls, etc).

3. sylkie

sylkie Member

Okay! Thanks a lot for the advice. The iMac box is huge. I might leave the box na lang and have the iMac checked in. Wish me luck!

4. maxx

maxx Member

I once brought home a brand new iMac from HongKong via PAL. I didn't place any extra foam inside the box and it came out fine although it's also a good idea to put extra protection.

5. sylkie

sylkie Member

Did you take the iMac out from the original box? So an iMac without its box can be placed inside the "balikbayan" box, am I correct?

6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

your other option is to have johnny air cargo send it home for you. i'd do that myself for such a big and fragile thing. let somebody else worry about it, for not too much. they have an office in daly city:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnny-air-cargo-daly-city

7. maxx

maxx Member

No, I didn't. The perfect box to use for shipping your iMac would be its original box with its original styro then you can place extra foam inside the orig box and then you can place the whole thing inside a balikbayan box full of clothes if you want to. I think this is super safe already. I have brought in solar panels, LCD TVs, etc. via PAL and if you say you have fragile items PAL really takes care of them.

For the iMac that i bought in HK, i just opened it to check in the store then placed it in its orig box then placed it in the orig plain brown shipping box that Apple used to ship the iMac then removed the stickers with the Model Nos. because they have the Apple logo on them.

#7 maxx, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  8. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

when youre checking it in, make sure you declare the value of the cargo so in case anything happens, they'll cover you for the declared amount. it might cost more but it'll save you the worry. trust me on this one.

as for bringing it as a carry on item, see if the box will fit the overhead bin of the aircraft that youre flying in, if it doesnt fit, they'll place it in the cargo hold.

#8 greta87, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  9. mischibooze

mischibooze Member

the imac is too big to fit in the stowage bins. they won't let you hand carry it. you have no choice but to check it in but make sure to pack it securely with lots of styro and/or clothes around it. even if you stick a fragile sticker on your luggage, you can never be too sure on how they'll handle your box since there's literally hundreds of luggages that they have to take care of all the time.

10. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Ask my dad how he took his iMac home w/o having to check it in. email him.

[email protected]

11. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

Great tip on declaring the value of the iMac before you check it in - I didn't know you can do this and I bring my iMac with me to do a project abroad once in a while. I'll make sure I do this next time.

Also, totally correct that the best box is the box the iMac came in. The styro inserts keep the iMac isolated from bumps, but what I have done is insert additional illustration board on the front and back (as in inserted inside the box) as additional protection from an accidental puncture.

12. tabsweet

tabsweet Member

this thread is really helpful for all travelers out there! hope i can do this also when i visit my dad!

13. sicnarf

sicnarf Member

you may also use bubble wrap sir:)

14. RastaSega

RastaSega Member

i also need info on this. how about the balikbayan box option? i'm planning to get a 21" soon.

thanks!