Calibrate to improve your Alu Macbook screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Salaryman Ryan, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Just a heads up to the Aluminum Macbook folks. We know that the Alu Macbook screen maybe better then the old Macbooks but still seem to lack contrast and look a bit washed out. (Especially compaired to the Air and almighty Macbook Pro)

Well, I've been looking around and stumbled in a macrumors.com thread where several contributors posted their software/hardware calibrated profiles. With my cousin's new 2.0 unibody Macbook as a guinea pig, I tried several of the profiles and noticed that it actually improves the overall quality of the Macbook's screen!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=588431

My favorite profile is PStube's contribution (Found in post #9). It vastly improved my cousin's washed out Macbook screen. The difference is almost like night and day - at least for me (Though my cousin agrees with me wholeheartedly . Just a small disclaimer however, the Macbooks use different panels from different manufacturers so what works for one won't necessary work for another.

Nevertheless, try it out guys and post back your feedback!

#1 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Greenie

Greenie Member

Thanks for the link! PStube's profile was a little too dark for me. I'm currently using TxMacAddict's profile (post # 56). Its sort of in between the default profile and the PStube's

3. tynn

tynn Member

wow... thanks for shairing this.... i used supercal to calibrate my macbook's lcd, and i love the result.... :cool:

4. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

5. Salaryman Ryan

Ah, thanks this is a nice profile! I actually visited A.shop in Podium a few hours ago and tested the Profiles on some of their display Macbooks. It seems universally TxMacAddict's profile was the nicest.

With the Alu Macbook screen properly calibrated, the Macbook now looks almost (and I said "almost") as good as the Macbook Pro. Of course, calibration still does not change the narrower viewing angle of the Macbook's screen.

#5 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. nnchong

nnchong Member

Any profile for the white Macbooks? Or can I also use this? Or is this exclusively for the Aluminum models only?

7. Salaryman Ryan

The thread I linked to was only for the Alu Macbooks. Try doing a google search you might find something. :)

8. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Applied TxMacAddict's color profile and it seems that it's the best profile of all.

Thanks for posting this! Cheers!

9. gymilton

gymilton Member

Did the same, use TxMacAddict's profile. Great improvement.

10. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

This is a good solution Salaryman Ryan. Great find.

However, to those using their Macbooks for Photo editing and proofing, nothing beats a hardware calibration. As calibrating is dependent on the quality and quantity of light where you did your calibration.

But this is the best solution for a regular use of your macbook aluminum. :)

11. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

i tried TxMacAddict's profile and i'm satisfied:)

12. Salaryman Ryan

I believe that several of the good profiles in that thread were produced through some sort of hardware calibration so its all good. :)

As for professional proofing, even the relatively gorgeous Macbook Pros panel screens are not suited for this task. My friend who is a Photographer and a Macbook Pro user, uses a well calibrated Apple 20 inch Cinema Display to do his final proofing.

13. swimteam

swimteam Member

Thanks for the link Salaryman Ryan! :)

I had a hard time trying to find out how to determine my panel model, til I found a thread in the same forum.

To those who don't know yet, here's a summary:
    • in the color tab of your display panel, select the Color LCD profile
    • click on the Open Profile button
    • highlight line 13 MMOD in the list box and it will display the panel manufacturer and model code below

14. hqvq_jen

hqvq_jen Member

Thank you for posting this:) pstube's profile works well for me.

15. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

nice info's brothers! i'll try that one later... i already download the supercal and printed the instructions..but just want to ask if i try to use txtmacaddicts "spyder2macbook", do i still need follow the instructions in supercal?

thanks guys for posting this thread! :)

16. Greenie

Greenie Member

No need to download supercal if you're going to use TxMacAddict's profile

Just drag the file to the designated folder and select it on system pref

17. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

woah! thanks for the info greenie.. i actually read the instructions in the supercal and they said to download the attached zip file profile.. i'm confused now señor..

so i just need to drag the file from txtmacaddict to the designated folder, select it in the sys pref and wolah.. thats it?

18. Greenie

Greenie Member

Yup. That's it :)

19. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

thanks greenie.. i'll try that one later.. nasa office pa kasi ako.. i didnt brought my macbook. thanks anyways! :)

20. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

hey greenie, just a quick question : i actually tried to download TxMacAddict attachment and i saw 2 files in the zip file (Spyder2macbook.icc and ._Sypder2macbook.icc).. what do i choose? i don't wanna mess up kasi! mahirap na! hehehe! :)