Butterfly keyboard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preciousgem, May 6, 2018.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hoping our custom max spec 13” MacBook Pros don’t have this issue once they arrive.

heard 2019s might be more resilient but only time will tell.

2. suigeneris

suigeneris Well-Known Member

have any of you had macbook which were not purchased in PH serviced in PH and accepted for this service program? I have a 2016 Macbook Retina given to me as a gift but it's the EU keyboard layout. It's still QWERTY but the enter and left shift key are smaller and some symbols are placed in different parts of the keyboard.

[​IMG]

3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

4. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

i guess the least they can do is repair / replace the keyboard for the hassle...

5. ice

6. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

Hi! I read previously on Macrumors that Apple replaces the butterfly keyboards for free. Also, sometime last year, someone from Powermac service center in Clark essentially told me the same thing. Has anyone had their keyboards replaced under this recall program? Are the service enters back in operation? Would appreciate leads. Thank you!

7. ice

butterfly keyboard should have 4years warranty, hence free replacement BUT they will not replace it with the new "Magic Keyboard"

I'm not even sure if older Macbooks will get the newer butterfly keyboard with silicon covers.

as for the service centers... I suggest that you call them or contact them using FB Messenger... Strangely in PH, FB Messenger is the best way to contact a business.

8. leo.james

leo.james Member

FWIW, I had my 2016 tbMBP's butterfly keyboard replaced end-September by Senco Link in Makati. I called beforehand and you don't need to set an appointment. With the pandemic situation, the building where their office is locate just allows visitors to start come in around 9:30 or 10:30 (sorry I can't remember). It took around 10 days for them to replace and contact me that my MBP was ready for pickup. And yup, it was free for me.

9. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

My left shift key is pita. So i just set an appointment and it is for free?

10. rnav18

rnav18 Active Member

The keycap hooks are still intact but they just won't attach to the white part.
    This happened after my AppleCare coverage expired. :(

[​IMG]

11. arvinsd

arvinsd New Member

I recently had my out of warranty macbook 2019 repaired free of charge because of Apple's Keyboard Service Program. The service center said they replaced the topcase. The topcase looks new - same with the keyboard although I was expecting a brand new battery along with it. I've read a few reviews which mentioned part of the repair is the replacement of the battery as it is glued in place and is very difficult to remove without damaging it. The battery's health is at 80%. I'm just concerned about the safety of it. I would like to know if others had the same experience. Thank you.

#71 arvinsd, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022