Butterfly keyboard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preciousgem, May 6, 2018.

1. markandapps

markandapps Active Member

Have you brought the macbooks to the service center for repairs? Are the keyboards now fixed?

2. deejae12

deejae12 New Member

Does one automatically get the extended 4-yr warranty on the keyboard if one has one of the units listed in the affected butterfly keyboard issue? Thanks.

3. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes.

deejae12 likes this.
  4. deejae12

deejae12 New Member

Cool, thanks! :)

5. Edelheid

Reason for edit: If you want to spend your afternoon reading customer complaints, this MacRumors thread should be a good start.

Right, this just about sums up the consensus on how people feel about the 2018 MacBook Pro keyboard: it seems to be less prone to breakage, but at the same time it's still not as reliable in comparison to pre-2016 scissor-switch keyboards. I think a better way of saying it is problems relating to the keyboard getting stuck, repeated, etc. are simply being delayed.

I spend most of my time with the MacBook Pro typing and the only real issue to me is with the reliability. The keys felt uncanny initially, but it only three days to get used to the feel and the travel. I favour it over the scissor-switch keyboard and it's definitely not just because it makes the MacBook Pro look sleeker. :p

A speck of dust or pollen shouldn't bring the keyboard down to its knees.

#45 Edelheid, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    psayknars, Salaryman Ryan and Anmi like this.
  6. balibago

balibago Member

I have the 2018 Macbook Pro 15, base model, and I am now having keyboard issues. My spacebar will sometimes register 2x, sometimes it will not register. Initially, I noticed that I will have commas in weird places. I found out that by default, the keyboard is set to insert a comma if the spacebar is pressed twice. I just disabled that feature thinking I solved the problem. Shortly after, I realized that I am having the dreaded keyboard problem. Now it has gotten worse since the spacebar will not register sometimes.

I bought this laptop a week or so after the release, fully confident that the keyboard condom has fixed the issues. Apparently not.

Note: You may notice I have a lot of double spaces in my message.

Anmi and Zoey like this.
  7. Edelheid

(We can't see any double spaces because XenForo output doesn't allow it, it's only preserved in the editor with which you used to write your post.)

I guess, in a way, Apple was also telling the truth when they claimed that the change made to the keyboard wasn't meant to address the reliability issue. Unfortunately, it would seem like only another stab at a keyboard redesign can have a chance at finally fixing the core problem.

It's quite a shame because it's a beautiful and performant piece of marvel otherwise.

Anmi likes this.
  8. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Had mine fixed. The keyboard and whatever under it was replaced. So far so good!

John Villa and markandapps like this.
  9. markandapps

markandapps Active Member

I inquired at Power Mac Center and they told me, it will take 3-5 days to diagnose or check my MacBook and 2-3 weeks for the actual repair. I don't think I can wait 3 weeks or be without my MacBook that long, let alone 3 days. How long did it take for your MacBook keyboard to be fixed?

10. Edelheid

Decided to get a 12" MacBook* which enabled me to finally send in my 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro for repair. It turned out to be a little problematic, they're offering me a new replacement in the form a 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro (2.7Ghz quad-core processor, 16GB memory, 1TB SSD) that's more or less the same configuration as my 2017 unit save for the processor obviously.

It's an enticing offer, I was only reluctant of the fact that none of the 2018 models are part of the keyboard repair program. The 2018 MBP's keyboard most definitely isn't protected from certain destruction. I have AppleCare, but it'll still be a year short versus the repair program. I can only hope the verdict changes before then if only to get that extra year of relief.

*If Apple puts out a better MacBook next week, I have 14 days from today to request a refund.

Anmi and Qin Zhi like this.
  11. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

About the same. Took them a month to finish the whole thing.

12. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

Blame that on Apple's policy on their Authorized Apple Service providers as they cannot have parts on hand. They can only order the parts needed for repair once a unit for servicing is in their hands. Add to that the shipping time to and back from Singapore which where our parts come from.

Anmi likes this.
  13. Edelheid

I ended up welcoming the offer of Apple Support and a local Apple Authoriser Service Provider to replace my 2017 MBP with a 2018 equivalent. I'll likely end up getting a newer model when my AppleCare ends in late 2020 anyway. I expect a MacBook Pro redesign some time during that year that hopefully includes a keyboard resilient to dust.

Apple: "Be careful what you wish for... Here's a touch screen keyboard! Now we can be sure no dust can get under it!"

Amusingly, the guy I spoke to at the service centre guaranteed me that the new keyboard is better. I wish that can be used to my favour when the keyboard breaks again. Hah... The guy was ridiculously happy explaining to me his "2018 MBP keyboard facts" that I couldn't bring up how I have friends that, upon hearing what he had told me, might only smash his head with the crippled 2018 keyboards they're now dealing with. :LOL:

I also find it ridiculous that we still don't have a single Apple Store here in New Zealand.

#53 Edelheid, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  14. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple is reportedly giving up on its controversial MacBook keyboard | The Verge

Ghibli and Qin Zhi like this.
  15. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

16. maym

maym Member

Has anyone tried having their mbp keyboards replaced? Having problems with mine. Can't type properly. Sigh.

17. ruprup

ruprup Member

Yes, I had mine replaced and even replaced the battery. Although I did it in Singapore. but for sure there's also here in PH a replacement program. You can checkout QCD in Robinson's Galleria, which is an Apple authorized service provider.

In SG, it only took them a day to replace the keyboard and the battery.

By the way, this should be free of charge - hardware and service.

18. maym

maym Member

Had mine replaced at Powermac. It only took them 3 days to replace it. :)

ruprup likes this.
  19. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

If your MacBook has the 3rd Gen Butterfly Keyboard, will apple replace it with the 4th Generation when you bring it in for repair or still the same 3rd Gen?

20. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

Just wanna ask if Apple will still replace the defective butterfly keyboard even if the Macbook Pro has other problems like dents and screen cracks? Would that be a factor?