Butterfly keyboard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preciousgem, May 6, 2018.

1. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

They would

mark.rupido likes this.
  2. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

This would definitely be to apple's loss since those repairs don't come cheap.

3. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Yup, they’ll keep on replacing any defective butterfly-mechanism keyboard within 4 years from the date of retail purchase of your MacBook/Macbook Pro.

mark.rupido likes this.
  4. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

@Qin Zhi Thank you, I got a 2016 Model but I'm good until 2021... if anything I live in a much colder environment... I don't know if that helps but I haven't had issues in the 6 or so months I've used this laptop... fingers crossed.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  5. jabba

jabba New Member

The new 2018 Macbook pros now have a silicon membrane to prevent dust from entering the butterfly mechanism. Sadly, it's only exclusive for the 2018 models. When our keyboards break, they will only replace it with the same keyboard thats prone to getting stuck.

6. sher_amf

sher_amf Member

I think the issue really is dust entering the keyboard, currently using keyboard protector
    [​IMG]

max_Moon likes this.
  7. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

You have to remove that when closing your macbook since it smudges on the anti-reflective coating layer of the screen... My macbook pro early 2015 suffered that fate and luckily it was covered by warranty. I just don't know if the later models (2016 and up) are susceptible to the staingate issue.

8. sher_amf

sher_amf Member

is it safer to put a clear protector on the screen? worrying it might affect the coating of the anti reflection

9. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Qin Zhi likes this.
  10. sher_amf

sher_amf Member

wow I even though of putting the keyboard protector to prevent entering dust in the keyboard, thanks for the tip!

11. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I bought a keyboard cover for my MBP because I was also afraid of the butterfly design's flaws. I also occasionally eat while I work which increases the chances of getting some sort of debris inside the keyboard. But the protector didn't even last me a week - I hated how it felt when typing and it builds up annoying dust. Luckily, I haven't used it long enough to cause smudges on my screen.

The keyboard protector is now sitting on my bluetooth keyboard. Still not loving it but at least it looks cool IMO :p.

IMG_3812.JPG

#31 extremeshot, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

I used a keyboard protector until I saw keyboard marks on the screen. I removed it eventually. :(

13. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

I am using the Moshi Clear guard keyboard protector. I have it for months, it's very thin and have no issue using it, no marks on my screen at all. The downside, it's overpriced imo.
    image.png

14. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Active Member

Just to clarify, so the MBP 13-inch non-Touchbar model doesn’t have that silicon membrane keyboard protector modification, right?

15. Qin Zhi

Correct, the non-Touch Bar model doesn’t have the “condom” yet.

16. Edelheid

EDIT: Referring to the 2018 MBP models with the condom tucked underneath each key caps.

NOT
    good. More and more people are beginning to report malfunctioning keyboards. In particular, this list includes Andreas Hegenberg the developer of renown power user app BetterTouchTool, John Gruber of Daring Fireball, and Stephen Hackett of 512 Pixels.

My confidence with the MacBook Pro is now at an all-time low. I don't usually mind the premium if the product standard matches the cost, but it rubs me the wrong way when the MBP line is costlier than it has been in years while the quality only dips. The MBP has NEVER been free from glaring issues, that much is a fact, but in years this has got to be my first time getting an issue within my short time of ownership.

Going through repair once doesn't really fix anything more so than delay the next set of broken keys. And you have four years from your date of purchase, not an issue should you already harbour plans to replace your portable before then, but we shouldn't ever excuse the throwaway culture we're in.

It doesn't help that the Genius really thinks it's not hardware when even after a clean re-install of macOS it exhibits the exact same issue, and to further amplify my case, the computers they have on display are devoid of my particular problem with my machine. I had to escalate my case to get things done.

#36 Edelheid, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Anmi and Qin Zhi like this.
  17. john.roque

john.roque Active Member

I just sent my nTB MacBook Pro for repairs. It happened 2 days before my warranty lapsed. The Z key stopped working and my screen’s coating was already peeling off. Best machine I’ve ever used but I miss the old school reliability. :(

18. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Active Member

Thank you!

19. Qin Zhi

I brought my 2016 MBP in again because its Y key kept repeating (i.e. most of the time I'd type "y", I'd get "yy", which in turn resulted in ridiculous typos, such as when I type "my", I end up typing "myy", which autocorrects to "may", while "by" ends up as "byy" which autocorrects to "bye"]. This is the second time I brought it in due to a keyboard problem.

As the repair will take a few day, I found a perfect time to bring it in, Wednesday last week (15 Aug), right before I and my family went on a 5-day vacation. When I brought it in at a nearby Apple authorized service center (here in Xi'an City, China), they informed me that I might have to wait for a maximum of 10 working days before I can get it back because they were simply "servicing too many keyboards" as well (when I brought it last March, they said 5 working days max, although I got it back in 3 calendar days). I agreed to it, as I wasn't expecting to do any work during my 5-day vacation and also had 2 spare notebooks to use (one being my trusty and able 2009 MBP).

Fortunately, exactly a week after (22 Aug, Wednesday) I was notified that my MBP has been repair and claimed it on that day as well. Just like the last time, its keyboard was replaced with the 2017 model, and I got a new battery as well. As shown below, the battery of my MBP of 1 yr. and 8 mos. only has had 1 cycle as of yesterday:

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 7.28.29 PM.png

As Apple is providing butterfly keyboards with a warranty of 4 years from date of purchase of the rMB/MBP, if this keeps on, by the time my MBP turns 4 yrs. old, I expect that it will have a fairly new battery with a battery cycle of just about 30. Although I'm not sure if that's something to be really thrilled about, as what's the use of a new battery if its keys might just malfunction soon after that. In all likelihood, by then, I won't resell it as well, as if the keyboard breaks down, I don't want to get into an argument with the buyer who might accuse me of selling him/her a defective product. I'll just probably use it as a backup unit then. [SIGH]

#39 Qin Zhi, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Edelheid likes this.
  20. Edelheid

Hahahaha, that's about the only upside to this: we get new a battery with each turn in. It's up to the individual if that's worth days or up to weeks (e.g., countries with no Apple Store) of having no working machine. The whole process of replacing the top case is such a waste.

Similarly, I'm reluctant to sell my MacBook Pro for the same reason you supplied. I'll likely pass it down to a relative after getting my hands on a new 12" MacBook that's HOPEFULLY equipped with a better keyboard otherwise pray that both machines won't break at the same time.

I didn't sign up for this rollercoaster ride…

Qin Zhi likes this.