Butterfly keyboard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preciousgem, May 6, 2018.

1. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

Anyone who had issues with the butterfly keyboard?

I had just bought myself a Macbook Pro and after a week my spacebar got stuck and could not be easily pressed unless I apply strong pressure. I did a search online and found out that I am not alone with this issue. There's even an online petition going on to recall all Apple laptops that uses the butterfly mechanism because it is a design failure.

Anyway I found a solution from Apple website - which is to simply spray the keyboard with compressed air. I found and bought one at Octagon, followed the self-help instructions from Apple site, and after a 2 or 3 times the spacebar worked normally.

The compressed air solution worked for some, but others have to send this to the Apple Store. Turns out that the keyboard cannot be easily repaired and repair bill without AppleCare/out of warranty can cost a hundreds of dollars.

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I solved mine by clicking on it, until it gave up! It's fixed now.

ericb likes this.
  3. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

I had the same problem where keys have gotten stuck, specifically, the "C", "B", spacebar, and "Y" keys. It was when the last one got stuck for good that I brought my 2016 MBP to an AppleStore in China for repair. So far so good, it's been 2 mos. now since my keyboard was replaced, and fortunately I've not had any issue since, considering that I use it everyday.

My recommendations:
    • Seriously consider getting AppleCare. Replacing the keyboard once your Mac's out of warranty is highly expensive (definitely more expensive than AppleCare) given that what will be replaced is not just the keyboard, but the entire top case, which is a complete assembly which includes, among others, the battery, trackpad and even the Touch Bar. If you sign-up for AppleCare you'd get an additional 2 years of warranty.
    • If you don't plan to get AppleCare, just make sure to bring it in for repair before your warranty lapses, as otherwise it's gonna be expensive.
    • Finally, experience shows that using your Mac in an air-conditioned/cold environment minimizes (albeit does not 100% prevent) the occurrence of such issues.
    • Again, do consider AppleCare.

#3 Qin Zhi, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    SE20, preciousgem and gracegal like this.
  4. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

I had a chat with AppleCare, they don't cover accidental damages such as spills.

Anyway I'll still consider getting one due to this issues.

5. Qin Zhi

Yes, AppleCare is worth it even if you're availing of that additional 2-year warranty sold for that keyboard issues. If your keyboard breaks down after your warranty had lapsed, repair cost is over US$700 (over ₱36,000). AppleCare, on the other hand costs only ₱12,590, thus reducing your repair cost to a third of the price if your keyboard breaks down (as it is likely to do so) within the period of that extended warranty period.

6. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

Just to be clear - you’re referring to AppleCare+? Not the plain AppleCare?

7. Qin Zhi

Nope--I'm referring to plain vanilla AppleCare (not AppleCare+). Butterfly keyboard issues, such as stuck/non-responsive keys, are product defects that are covered by and are repaired for free within the standard warranty period and additional 2-year AppleCare extended warranty. Having said that, any damage to the keyboard that is not a product defect is not covered by plain vanilla AppleCare, such as accidental damage. Likewise, if your butterfly key got stuck or became non-responsive, which is ordinarily covered by Apple's standard warranty and AppleCare, however, if in your attempt to repair it yourself, you accidentally broke that key, they'd charge you for the repair already, regardless if your Mac is still covered by warranty/AppleCare.

On the other hand, AppleCare+, which is not available in the Ph, covers accidental damage. Note, however that repairs due to accidental damage are not done for free, but you'd be charged a certain price that's lower than what would be charged to those that are not covered by AppleCare+.

#7 Qin Zhi, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    jayparalejas and preciousgem like this.
  8. Qin Zhi

9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

My daughter is asking for a new Macbook this year...

I told her to wait for Apple's back to school promotion...

I just hope they solve this keyboard issue soon...

10. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

just found that info independently before I saw it here. for me this answers my question I posted in another thread about whether to buy a mac or not. so, after several macs, beginning with the old mac Plus since 1985, it is good bye. I can get skinned and fleeced cheaper with another brand.
    well, nevertheless, good luck to all of you who have issues

snipes likes this.
  11. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

12. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

This is very good news. I wonder what would be the impact of this development to the keyboard lawsuits. If they did not redesign the keyboard of the 2015 MBP in such a way, they wouldn't have this problem to begin with.

13. offgrey

offgrey Member

Hopefully that doesn't prevent the lawsuit from continuing though. It's incredibly problematic when a $2000 laptop is in constant danger of repair. The lawsuit might force them to figure out a better solution that just replacing the keyboard over and over

(yes, I know there was a slight redesign with the 2017 keyboards that makes it slightly more reliable, but it seems that other people are still having problems with that. :/ )

Ghibli likes this.
  14. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Agreed. Apple should do a recall of its MBP line with high keyboard failure rates, rather than wait for the keyboards to actually fail.

15. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

I was not aware that the keyboard issue is so prevalent. I just bought a slim silicon keyboard from mosh to prevent this. I read that having one is also not advisable cause the space between the keyboard and the screen is so small but so far had no issue.

jayparalejas likes this.
  16. Zoey

Zoey Member

Apple really needs to redesign these keyboards. My auntie's Macbook got stuck keys and she always washes her hands. Mine got a stuck shift key too so I may end up bringing both units to a service center. Sigh, what a hassle, these keyboards are terrible.

Ghibli likes this.
  17. jologs

jologs Member

So far, I haven't had any issues with my 2017 NTB 13" MBP's keyboard but I keep it clean by not eating nor drinking while using it and vacuuming it daily using a Dyson vac with the carbon fiber brush attachment and I rarely use it outdoors anyway.

The 4-year extended warranty is reassuring but I hope the new replacement keyboards that will be installed on returned units for repair would be redesigned to not have these flaws in the first place.

Ghibli likes this.
  18. babygirl44

babygirl44 Member

My early 2011 MacBook Pro is dying on me. But I'm hesitant to get a new one coz of the keyboard issue. Do you guys know if Apple has fixed this keyboard issue on the MacBook Pros sold this 2018?

19. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

Nope they haven’t. They are just extending the warranty of the keyboards to 4yrs.

20. mark.rupido

mark.rupido New Member

Question is, if they had replaced it once would they replace the keyboards again once the replacement keyboards become faulty as well?