Burning Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by sparrowhawk, May 3, 2009.

1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Hi guys!

Last time i check, i was able to burn music files to a CD. However, this time when i tried burning files to a DVD, there was an error about something can't connect to the harddrive or whatever. Then, the dvd gets stuck in there while the burning process hangs.

What should i do to fix this problem?

2. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Highly possible that it's a media problem. Try burning on a DVD of a different brand.

It would be helpful if you post the exact error message.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

Don't want to create a new thread so would just reply here:

My concern is i have a recorded seminar talk in mp3 that I would like to record in a DVD (CD's not possible because the mp3 is 2 hours long). Question is, can i burn it in a DVD but in an Audio CD format? Meaning i can play the DVD in any stereo? I don't want to burn it as data disc but an audio disc?

Sorry if magulo tanong. hehe

Thanks!

4. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

The only thing I can think of is DVD-audio. but I don't know if you can play it with ordinary stereos, 'cause I never tried it. maybe a DVD player?

#4 wildcard, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  5. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

yeah... yun nga eh... salamat sa reply.

Another friend suggested that I just convert it to a lower bitrate so i can fit it sa CD... will also try it in a while.

Thanks again!

6. alistair

alistair Member

Won't do anything if you want to burn an audio CD (versus a CD-ROM with an mp3 file in it).

CDDA has a fixed bit rate of 720,000 bits/s or (1411.2 kbit/s depending on how you view it, apparently), which, on a 700MB CD translates to a max 80 minutes of audio no matter how you cut it.

#6 alistair, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  7. marky mark

marky mark New Member

hi to everyone,

I'm a newbie too. i tried to burn a Sony dvd-R (data) using BURN (it wont work using disk utility) and i think it worked because it didn't show any error message. shortly after burning, the burned disc appeared in my Finder and I was able to access it.

Problem is, when i ejected the disc and reinserted it again, my Macbook now refuses to read it.

I tried to burn the same brand of dvd, only it is a +R dvd. It worked and my macbook reads the dvd anytime i insert it in my superdrive.

I experienced no problems so far in burning cd's.

My questions now are, 1) Is it normal that I can't burn dvd's using the disk utility? could it be a software or a hardware problem. 2) do i need to buy and install a software to burn a dvd-r disc, if so, what do you, experts, recommend?

One thing more, I bought my macbook unibody last May online. What document do i need to bring (like OR, warranty card, etc.) or just my macbook whenever i want to have it check in an apple center. Im planning to have it check just to be sure.

Many thanks, censya na po pag medyo daming tanong. hehe

8. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

marky mark, i have been using toast titanium and have had no problems.

you can try using finder - >file->new burn folder
    then copy your desired files into it
    then finder->file-burn to disc

I don't think you need to bring anything. your mac has its serial number and you can check the warranty date online.

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It is almost always a media problem. Try Imation for DVD-R and TDK for dual layer.

10. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

1) Yes, you can't use Disk Utility to burn discs. The built-in way to burn discs is by using Finder, as Kiko has outlined.

2) If your Mac's drive supports burning to DVD-Rs, you should be able to do it with Finder (and any other OS X burning app). To verify, click on the Apple logo on the upper-left of the screen, then select 'About This Mac'. Click on 'More Info...' and go to the 'Disc Burning' section.

If you're going to buy an app for disc burning, the top-of-the-line app on the Mac is Toast Titanium. It's not cheap though, so check if you'll be able to use enough features to make it worth the price.

11. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

12. marky mark

marky mark New Member

Thanks for all the help mga bro. You all make life with a Mac way, way easier. And a lot enjoyable too.. hehehe

13. wendell

wendell New Member

hi guys

what is the best app to burn avi movie to dvd so i can play on our dvdplayer,

i have idvd app but i cant burn the avi file, it says that file im trying to burn is too large...
    help pls...

thanks

14. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

some questions for you.

1. Does your DVD player support "divx"? it will say so on the player itself.
    2. what is the length of the .avi file(s) you are trying to burn? if it is over 2 hours, then it will not fit in a DVD disc, hence the error message.
    3. do you have enough free space in you HDD? when burning a DVD you should have at least 8GB free space in your HDD.

#14 wildcard, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  15. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi chetiboy!

Can Burn also be used for DVD-RW discs where I want to save files on the same disc several times in a week?

Ex: Monday I save a bunch of files on a DVD-RW disk. On Tuesday, I save another set of files on the same disk but I want to keep the Monday bunch of files on it as well. And so on for the rest of the week.

16. gdgomez

gdgomez Member

I would think so, on the site (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/screenshots.html) the screenshot "sheets" shows for a checkbox on "Allow more sessions" which is what you'd need to multi-burn to a dvd-rw. :) --> EDIT: someone correct me if I'm wrong. on nero on my pc before you could create multisession discs for cd-rs to make them effectively cd-rws.

can't hurt to try right? the app is free.

#16 gdgomez, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  17. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

as far as I know, multi session is not supported for DVD discs