Buggy mail app.

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by pocketrocket, Mar 2, 2006.

1. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Active Member

This happens to me every couple of months and gets very irritating. A window appears and asks for my password and no matter how many times I input it, it keeps re-appearing. It's the correct password naman and it won't stop til I click on cancel. But that means mail will be offline til I hit the "get mail" button. Then that pesky window pops up again after awhile. What's a good alternative to mail, besides entourage?

2. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

#2 booblanco, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  3. coffeelover

coffeelover Member

It could be your mail server. Are you using a remote mail server (hosted elsewhere)? It could be slow or down. It happens to me once in a while.

4. pocketrocket

I am using PLDT DSL. Nothing wrong with my internet connection, though. Do you think they somehow, once in a while, missread my password? Because this doesn't naman happen everyday, like maybe 2-3 days every 2 months lang. But when it does happen, it gets so very frustrating.

5. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

As coffeelover said, it's our mail server. Your problem happened to me a lot last week. So far this week, it's been ok.

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, I think their mail server just becomes busy or something. I'm on PLDT too and it happens to me once in a while. All you can really do is wait a while, then it usually works fine.

7. pocketrocket

I guess I'll just stick it out. You guys think that even if I switch to another app (like entourage or something) it will still do the same thing?

8. coffeelover

coffeelover Member

Yes, it will probably do the same thing. I've used other mail apps - thunderbird in my mac, and even evolution in linux, they both do the same thing when the mail server is down or is bogged down.

9. elbert

elbert Active Member

I have a number of email accounts set up on my Mail. Sometimes, my old Destiny accounts act that way, while the others (i.e. .Mac, Gmail, Yahoo.com.ph) run fine. It's safe to conclude that the mail server is the problem. It's not your ISP, nor is it Mail.app.

BTW, I canceled my Destiny Internet account in 2004, but the email accounts (I've set up five of them, in fact) are still active. That's how efficient they are.

#9 elbert, Mar 3, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  10. chu

chu Active Member

Hey pocketrocket why not use something like .mac, gmail or a webhost/email service with your own domain instead?

11. pocketrocket

I'll probably open a gmail account as an alternative email address, but still keep my original one pa rin. Thanks for all the input, guys. Super appreciate the help.

12. AllanRR

AllanRR Member

It also sometimes happens to my GMail account. So instead of using Mail, I fire up my browser and just check my GMail account online.