Browsers

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DinoJ, Sep 4, 2021.

1. DinoJ

DinoJ Member

Let's talk about browsers.

I my computer/internet background starts all the way in 1995 with NETSCAPE. We all know the battle with Netscape and Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Sadly, Netscape lost. IE became an industry standard. I was forced to comply. :(

Now on my Mac and PC, I use Chrome and Firefox (a descendant of Netscape) . . . . I use Safari also on the Mac. . . very seldom Edge (a descendant of IE).

What are your thoughts on browsers today.

Attached Files:

2. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

I use Safari on my Mac and iOS, Firefox on my PC and whatever default browser installed on my android device. I’m not a fan of Chrome.

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Up until the last few days, I've been a heavy Chrome user. Before that, IE > Netscape > IE > Firefox > Chrome.

Lately, both Chrome and Edge are being heavily criticized for mining user data. This goes against what Chrome stood for (in fact, Google as a whole) when they started.

So now, I'm trying out Brave. I might also go back to Firefox and give it another spin.

#3 oj88, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    greta87 likes this.
  4. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

i use Safari mostly. Chrome for some apps and Firefox for the rest..

5. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

Firefox is my primary browser on Windows, Mac and iOS devices. I've been a Firefox user since version 1.0. Used IE before that. My earliest memories of surfing the web were with Netscape.

It's sad that FF has been bleeding users even though FF has been getting better in recent years in terms of performance, privacy and security. I never really had issues with it. It's also ironic that Google is Mozilla's main source of revenues with their default search engine deal which is probably what's keeping Mozilla alive but who knows for how much longer when the user base becomes small enough to be insignificant and Google pulls the plug. I'm thinking of making donations to the Mozilla foundation after reading the news. Whatever little bit I can do to help.

As for my secondary browsers, I use (Chromium) Edge on my Windows PC and Safari on my Mac. I never liked Chrome.

#5 max_Moon, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  6. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Member

Been using Firefox since 2002 on macOS & Windows. Safari on iPhone/iPad. Only use Chrome and Edge when other browsers dont work with the website.

DinoJ likes this.
  7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Chrome for me (Windows, Mac and Mobile)

If site does not work properly on Chrome (ehem Pag-Ibig), I will try Edge (on Windows) and Safari (on my Mac)

I'm one of few persons who love targeted ads, makes my on-line shopping experience much better.

8. yoimrae

yoimrae New Member

Safari on my iOS and macOS devices, Microsoft Edge Chromium on my Windows device. Chrome user dati, but it drains battery fast and memory hog.

9. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Using Safari on iPad and iPhone (still is more convenient for me since I use my mobile devices only for personal use). On the mac, I use safari for personal stuff (and some online transactions) and the rest I use Edge (chromium) as my work accounts are revolving in the google workspace ecosystem (and google meet requires chromium for their blur background features).

10. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Firefox and Opera on my laptop, and brave and Firefox on my phone.

DinoJ likes this.
  11. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Firefox - because I know how to tweak it to become the fastest among others.

Brave - if I need a secondary browser.

DinoJ likes this.
  12. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Shifted to Opera GX for moe than a year now. Occasionally I'd use Chrome for some plugins when I need something done related to my work.

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…I use whatever browser is the default of the device. Safari for Apple, Chrome for Androids and Edge for PC. They are all good.