breaking up pages in a pdf document

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ultratramp, May 23, 2006.

1. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

i received a multiple page pdf document and would like to send out only certain pages as they are pertinent. how do i break it up into separate files?

2. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

If the PDF file doesn't have restrictions (read-only, etc.), open it using AcrobatPro, then:

Document -> Extract Pages

Then specify the pages you want to extract and your destination folder.

3. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

Open the PDF in Preview and choose print. Select the pages you want to get and click on the PDF button from the print dialog and "Save as PDF". Hope that helped.

4. da_big_switch

da_big_switch Member

Thanks Gomi. I also had this question. Not anymore. :)

5. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

great tip gomi. didnt realize preview had that feature.

boo, i was hoping acrobat pro could break it up into all its individual pages then into a folder so i could just select from that folder. i couldnt find any feature to do that. if you know of one it would be great but since i only needed a few pages it wasnt that bothersome to do them individually.

6. krisbau

krisbau Member

just yesterday, a supplier of mine couldn't open the pdf file i sent her so i opened it in preview and realized i could save each page as jpeg or other file formats under the "Save As" window.

you just have to go to each pdf page and "save-as" into your preferred format page by page.

7. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

Ei bro. AcrobatPro can do this for the entire document as long as you extract pages with checkbox 'Extract as Separate Files' checked. Pro will automatically append the extracted files with the page number for you.

But if you just want to extract selected pages only -

1. make a duplicate of a file (this process is destructive)
    2. with the duplicate file, Document -> Delete Pages (get rid of pages you don't need)
    3. Then Document -> Extract Pages w/ checkbox 'Extract as Separate Files' checked
    4. Assign your destination folder

That's it!

#7 booblanco, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  8. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

If you try to do this with a pdf, i.e. exporting to pdf (again), preview will just resave the entire document, not by page. You really have to go through the print dialogue to export pdfs by page.

9. raygun

raygun Member

if you have adobe acrobat 7.0 which is included in CS2 package, you can click the pages tab on the left to show the small thumbnails of the entire document. you can select the pages you want to extract by pressing the command key (not the shift key) so you can skip the unwanted pages.

10. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

That's right. With Finder, you can only save page by page. Just refer to my post above if you want to extract the PDF page BY page - as individual files.

Finder's version is cooler because it's free, though.

@ raygun

Thanks for the tip! I've been trying to figure that one out.

#10 booblanco, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006