Brandnew or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by ianp_82, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ianp_82

ianp_82 New Member

Hi fellas. I'm hunting for a brandnew macbook aluminum. Lots of sellers but different tagline. Saw a 73k macbook al thats brandnew and sealed. and 70k brandnew but not sealed? what does that mean? how would i know if what im buying is really brandnew aside from the plastics? and seal on the box? HELP. TIA.

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

The receipt can tell you if its brand new. Those opened units (out-of-the-box) is equivalent to a very mint 2nd hand but most of the time they were just opened to makr sure the unit has no obvious defects. Ask for the seller to provide you with the receipt as it will be important for claiming Apple warranty. Check the serial number too from Apple's support site to check when its AppleCare warranty started. It'll roughly tell you how 'new' it is while you wait for proof of purchase - the receipt :) HTH

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

If you buy from a gray-market seller, then you cannot be truly certain that the unit is brand-new. My definition of brand-new follows the supply chain from the Apple manufacturing plant all the way to the authorized Apple reseller: Item is manufactured or assembled by Apple (probably China?) following Apple's strict QA standards --> the unit is kept in a temperature-controlled warehouse until it is shipped out --> the unit is packed and shipped ff. Apple's guidelines (usually by air) -->the unit is received in the Philippines and kept in a bonded warehouse contracted by the Apple reseller, or is picked up immediately by the Apple reseller after settling customs duties, or maybe delivered to the Apple reseller by the forwarder -->the unit is opened and checked for completeness by the Apple reseller --> the unit is stored by the Apple reseller in his warehouse.

The gray-marketer on the other hand uses any or all means available to him to get the unit, stores the unit every which way, opens the box to check for completeness and reseals the box any way he wants - technically it's no longer brand-new per Apple's guidelines. Sure it may be unused, but that's the most he can claim for the product he is selling.

4. platonick_69

platonick_69 Member

I agree with soloworx.Also, If it's been opened, it can no longer be brandnew. The few thousand pesos you will save in buying from sources other than the apple authorized re-seller is not worth all the worry it entails. we have re-sellers that give very good deals. Thats how i bought my first and now I have my second mac, it still went that way.

5. bacchus_3

soloworx is right. I meant to define 'brand new' in the literal English meaning. It's either a brandnew unopened unit from an authorized reseller or a 'mint' opened unit (not brand new) from anyone selling any other way.

6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Yup, Rolly, I believe only Apple resellers can make the rightful claim that the unit is 'brand-new' - anything else may be considered mint, unused, pristine, opened for checking - you will note that even Apple resellers are also cautious about using the word 'brand-new' - sometimes they say the unit is 'demo unit', opened for display only, or NOS (new old stock).

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Member

how about if the Mac is coming from the gray market yet is still unopened.. can it still be considered brand new?

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

How was the product transported from the country of manufacture?

How was the product stored? (Imagine a steamy, humid storage area with a leaky roof…)

How long before the product was received here in our shores before being claimed by the importer?

These are important considerations, Hattori Hanzo…

Long before I started patronizing authorized Apple resellers, I picked up a Mac I ordered from a gray-market seller (he offered to ship it to me door-to-door but I declined). I wanted to see how the product was stored. Upon reaching their house, I saw several unopened boxes of Macs directly on the surface of the garage floor and not elevated in wooden or plastic pallets. Since I already paid a deposit, I got the unit nonetheless, but I said to myself, "Never again…"

9. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Member

you got me thinking there sir.. i hope i don't get to see Macs handled that way ever. i'd be delighted in doing a meet up instead.. minus the shady details.

10. ianp_82

ianp_82 New Member

thank for ur insights. Im leaning towards getting a mac at an authorized reseller. I was inquiring about the macbook al im interested in and im just worried cause i dont think the seller has the receipt. Whats the purpose of the receipt anyway.? Mentioned above that its important. With that missing im willing to pay a 2k difference from an authorized reseller. What do you think?

#10 ianp_82, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  11. bacchus_3

The receipt is the last resort (and most important) for dispute for your one-year warranty with apple :) Usually, service centers only need to ask you for the Mac's serial number.

12. jappy

jappy Member

was supposed to get a bnew unit.
    but ended up getting a very mint - good as bnew unit.
    i think if you just look around and check, you can get a good unit even if its not sealed anymore.
    but if you want more peace of mind, i think you have to buy a bnew sealed one.
    goodluck on you purchase.
    =)

13. Tecson

Tecson Member

when buying stuff regardless of its value, i always want to check if everything is A ok.

from a toothpick to real estate the system for me is one and the same, now i dont want to sound like a whiny OC but its a rule i think works for me.

when a product rolls out of the factory, i dont want even the sales lady to try to mingle with "my stuff" if i already paid for it. I treated my stuff with respect, love and care , and I personally havnt met someone who shows this in my 20 yrs of purchasing, now im sure there are some who are sensitive and will treat your merchandise with care, but believe me they are a dying breed.

in short, im sure most of us may have this atitude sometimes in our lifetime, if its not ours, we dont really care that much for it. that is always a factor to second guess, really.

now, because you are buying Mac, its really vital that you buy Brand new IF you really can afford it. why, because apple wants you to experience it. i dont know if you would notice but opening a apple product from its box is really part of owning a Mac. the package itself and the unboxing is very organize and exciting. the smell, that factory smell you would first experience from your apple is really a thing you would remember forever, the wraping and reveiling of things is really part of it. you dont get this from any other products except for high end merchandises.
    the other thing is the " Welcome" screen when you first boot your Mac, the first word you type in it, that i would give an extra 2K for or whatever. t is when you and the your Mac first "Bonded".

anyway, its the only thing to be sure you are buying a bnew unit. if its was opened b4 who knows..
    and i tell you, you wont miss it f you didnt experience it but, the joy of the first opening also means you will love and take care of your unit better than buying it with a doubt. thou im not generallizing. hehe sorry.

oh, and almost forgot, the receipt is important so you can go back and complaint when you have a problem, people dont really remember the when/where/who/how you know. but i look at it in a different way, its like a birth certificate for my Mac, so ill remember his bday and place of birth, :) and if he has a prblem, it serves as a medical record for him too. you can keep it with the box.

anyway, enjoy...welcome to the club.

#13 Tecson, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  14. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

If its only 2k price difference, I'd get it from an Apple Reseller. But if we're talking about 10K to 15K... I'd look into it...

Sometimes, you'd see a fleet of brand new cars for delivery to the Dealer but you don't actually see what they've already done at the factory... they have one QC wherein they drive your brand new unit across a stretch of bumps and holes just to check whether your unit has rattles. Then there's also another QC wherein they put your unit onto a floor with rollers and rev and drive the engine up to 120km/h speed just to check if there's any problem with your engine. The fact that your brand new car has already been driven by someone else in the factory, could you still actually call your unit a brand new unbroken-in unit? At a price tag of usually around 6X more than what you will be paying for your Mac...

To add to it... have you seen where they keep the brand new cars while waiting for a new owner to buy it??? They're left under the baking hot sun and scorching rain and most of them are even parked in muddy lots. They just wait for a buyer to pick out a color and they take it out to be cleaned and waxed to look brand spanking new...

Well, back to the Mac... probably one of the QC also is to burn these units in by letting it run in a room with all the other units 24 hours straight. Some of the books will probably have their screens opened and closed several times just to check if its in order. So being brand new is subjective in my opinion. I'd even prefer buying a good second hand unit instead with a 30 to 40% price devaluation. With the money you'd be saving, you can get Apple Care for it and be protected for another 2 years just as long as the second hand unit you'll be buying is still covered by the original one year warranty.

#14 madmax168, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  15. hqvq_jen

hqvq_jen Member

as to what i've said before, 2k to 5k difference from AAR is worth it. For instance, your unit has a technical problem, AAR can replace it within 7 days. And after sale service is hassle free. unlike when u buy from sellers that you cant contact after sale. Like with mine? I've been asking for my free cooling pad for 3 months already, nothing still. I agree with Tecson. Receipt is important:) i like your birth certificate idea Tecson. Nice.

16. asyong21

asyong21 Member

I agree to what madmax just said.

If price difference goes 5 digits, I would also look for another option.
    As for me, I don't care if I'm getting the 7/14 days satisfaction warranty or not.
    Since most consumer electronics are bundled with 1 year maker warranty, that
    would be enough for me ( for my peace of mind :) ).

Bought my aluminum macbook online with some transaction side notes that once
    they send the unit out, talks will be between me and Apple. If there will be any
    problem on the unit, I should start bugging Apple for warranty. I got it new and
    still sealed from the factory ( and yes it's brand new ). I also checked my Apple
    warranty online, my warranty starts from the time they dispatched the unit from
    the store ( 1 day before I received the unit ). I got only one minor problem though,
    a slightly slanted eject key, but I don't think it would cause me to bug Apple
    and waste my time for warranty.

And BTW, they also offer an extended 3 year insurance/warranty provided by a
    laptop insurance company for the price of roughly Php2K+ aside from Apple's applecare.
    In case something goes nuts on my notebook, I can pay for the repair and then claim
    a refund from the insurance company. Accidental drop and theft are covered too.

I don't know if the online store where I got my macbook a grey market seller
    or not. But the Php24K+ price difference and a cheap insurance, that would be
    enough for me in exhange to the 7/14 days satisfaction guarantee.

That's just my humble opinion. :cool:

#16 asyong21, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  17. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes I agree 1 to 2 K difference is not much considering you'll be getting after sales service from a authorized Apple seller. But then again I bought a few Macs from gray market sellers before and had no problem with them. Just make sure you get your Mac sealed.

But if you know where to look and know how to haggle, you can find Authorized Dealers selling Macs at gray market price...