Boot Camp: Windows XP to Windows 7

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Hero33, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

A Friend gave me a copy of Windows 7 he got as a beta tester. Its suppose to be some final version, and I wanted to test it out (thinking of getting a copy at a very good price from the same person).

How will this work for those who have tried it?

Do I just boot to XP then install Windows 7 from there? I don't mind the long process compared to a clean install, as long as it will work.

I hear old xp programs will work still so I thought of trying it out considering the great reviews.

#1 Hero33, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. mystavros

mystavros Member

you can just have a clean install since you wouldnt need you winXP anymore

3. Hero33

That's not the issue, I want to maintain all my xp programs without having to reinstall everything so I was wondering if I could just install using the upgrade within xp in bootcamp?

I was wondering if there would be any problems since my xp was installed with bootcamp initiating it.

4. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I tried upgrading my XP but Win 7 RC installer wouldn't let me. So I backed up XP, formatted and installed Win 7 RC.

6. Hero33

Just did that and I am now typing from XP, err, windows 7. Got so used to XP being the real windows representative.

I'm amazed at how fast it feels on my MBP. It is faster than XP. All my old xp programs work great and for some reason, respond better! This old CAD program for architecture I have, almost ten years old, works perfectly.

Looks like I'm gonna get Windows 7 if I can slip it into the company budget. Snow Leopard is still the better OS, but Windows 7 makes the perfect complement to complete the just in case scenarios.