Black Mirror - Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by rbenzon, Jan 8, 2018.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

that's alright. there is no need to "get it" in art. either we resonate with it, or not.

i have more to say about this episode, but for now mas popcorn pa yung black mirror ni tulfo. ;) reminds me actually of the black mirror episode, hated in the nation, sans the brilliant twist.

hitme64 likes this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Haha don’t get me into that because I have more to say about the scumbag.

At any rate, Episode 2 titled Smithereens is more staid than Episode 3, which got ruined by Miley Cyrus-Hemsworth sans any hair-pulling scene. I miss Season 1’s flair for real dark drama and tech noir combined. Apparently New Hollywood is ruining premier TV serials in the same way it ruined The Twilight Zone (cue to that fourth wall episode Blurryman, on why art and entertainment are totally miles apart).

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

episode 1 was a stereotypical online game story, episode 2 was a different perspective on the old episode "Nosedive", and episode 3 was a bad Disney parody. this season didn't have any gut-wrenching, thought-provoking episodes.

hitme64 likes this.
  4. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah... not impressed with 1st 2 episodes so far. Interesting plot on episode 1 but they should have gone further with it – maybe visualized what the other guy tried (e.g., polar bear).

Episode 2 was just plain. I liked how they ended it though.

5. racz41

racz41 Member

For me, out of the three episodes this season, only episode 1 was good, although it was reminiscent of the episode "entire history of you".

One of those episodes that made me drop my jaw and go WTF even though I was watching by myself, this was during their first "fight" scene, if we'll call it that :LOL:

hitme64 likes this.
  6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Black Mirror is so layered, there is always more than meets the eye. Take the Smithereens episode, for instance. "Plain" for some, "meh" for others?

The plot is fairly straightforward, and I only watched it once. But when I tried to list down notable moments, the list was longer than I thought:
    1. The irony of meditating before committing a crime. It’s like the hot yoga teacher I know, who rants in between yoga classes. Fashion victims.
    2. Will the grieving mother’s need to know info about her daughter save her, or will it dig a bigger hole? Ignorance is bliss?
    3. The grieving mother was denied access to her daughter’s social media account, whereas total strangers have much easier access.
    4. Fiancee was killed in a car accident, when the car she was in was hit by a drunk driver. Who was more guilty, the drunk driver, or the device-drunk driver? Yet, likely, in a court of law, the sober driver walks away, while the drunk driver is sentenced to death.
    5. Social media knew more than the FBI. Not surprising, but hilarious to watch in action.
    6. Smithereen COO argues that they “can’t go on feel”—that’s the data-driven world of today. Einstein only said, “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. “
    7. CEO did not know that the COO knew his secret retreat. The poetic justice of the social network CEO being a technology victim too.
    8. CEO’s “God-mode”. Capitalism at its finest.
    9. Experts—COO, legal, negotiator, FBI, advisors, et al.—all rendered useless by a one-on-one, heart-to-heart talk. Mediators rejected as meditators talked. ;)
    10. Telling the captive that the captor has a fake gun—an oxymoronic case of “captor’s compassion”.
    11. Social network snooped in on the captor; found out he had a fake gun; social network tells the police; bystander tweets the fake-gun scoop, and captor finds out from social media. Full circle. Parang Luneta hostage crisis lang! ;)
    12. When the CEO asked the captor what else he needed, the captor asked for the dead daughter's password for the grieving mom. The humanity in thinking of others, before committing suicide.
    13. In the hostage’s effort to save the life of his captor, he ended up kiliing him. Yet another ironic twist.
    14. Beyond the obvious and over-simplistic “don’t text and drive” lesson, another dark reflection of this episode: These days, it takes a hostage crisis to get a CEO to listen to a customer feedback.
    I don't watch Black Mirror to analyse, but the episodes are that nuanced. :)

Godfather and jbfirefly like this.
  7. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Ok. That last episode. Just proves to me Netflix is now the new Cinemax.

Interesting note: there was a quick scene where in the background the news was talking about China and/or Hongkong no longer accepting the plastic trash from the west...

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Not much to say about the Miley episode other than "that song sounds familiar"—which turned out to be a cover of a Trent Reznor tune! :D I bought Nine Inch Nail's first album, Pretty Hate Machine, in 1990—before Miley was born! Way before Reznor married a Pinay. :)

Dekra likes this.
  9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

It makes you kinda think twice now how you view Sam Wilson/Falcon
    That’s what happens when American sensibilities invade British imports. BM was way better under the dark muses of British TV but not until America invaded their turf and made their own episodes to suit typical Americana daily grind. Very pretentious.

Godfather likes this.
  10. eag

eag Well-Known Member

Anybody catch the Easter Egg in the Miley Cyrus episode? When she was rushed to the hospital, she was brought to Saint Juniper

vtf and MharDelaCruz like this.
  11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Onward to the next season...