Best SSD for Santa Rosa MBP ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by thurbs, Jul 29, 2009.

1. thurbs

thurbs Member

What is the best SSD to buy for use in my older MBP ( Santa Rosa 2,4 ghz , before the multi-touch pad )

Also, will moving to SSD give me a dramatic speed up in using my mac?

Typical use : big excel files, browser with many tabs, huge apple mail and some adium / skype and some unrar for my HD movies :)

Any advice would be great

2. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

get the Intel X25, expensive yes but you'll be blown away with the speed. I have no personal experience though but at macrumors it's the most recommended one, the the best daw so far for our Macs.

im also not sure if this applies to the sta rosa MBP but on the unibody, you can remove the optical drive and replaced it with an SSD or a regular HD for a total of 2 hard drives :)

3. mig

mig Active Member

The Intel X25's have been getting superb reviews.

4. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

heres a random WRITE graph, top performer is the 160gb X25 G2 (34nm 2nd generation SSD), sayang wala sa graph yung G2 80GB ($230+) thats what i want to buy pa naman :)

[​IMG]

take note the 2nd below the graph is a regular 10,000 RPM sata HD Western Digital VelociRaptor.

5. daxdagr8t

daxdagr8t Member

crucial just released their own ssds.

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

short answer is no. If you want a dramatic improvement in system performance, you have to balance it with the other components, typically the CPU, memory, graphics card and hard drive. If your only option at this point is the hard drive, I don't think that it will improve your system's overall performance.

7. thurbs

thurbs Member

interesting I had heard great things about the SSD.

im already 2.4ghz and 4gb ram, I want to buy another MBP so I can give my GF this one, but I want them to do a quad core already.

the entire new line is nothing much more then 600 mhz boost, but with CUDA / OpenCL coming I'm waiting.

will the drives above go faster then the 1.5gbit SATA speed my controller is capped at?

8. raypin

@thurbs.......with SSDs vs. mainstream 7200 mechanical drives, SSDs are faster but that "faster" means only a few milliseconds difference. That's why hard drives are the least important upgrade for me and capacity is, by far, more important. As for CPUs, quad core is not that critical yet and it really depends if the apps or games you're running are CPU-dependent. Quad cores does matter for multi-tasking and multi-threaded apps but, typically, two cores does a great job in handling those. For hard-core PC gamers like me, two cores are more than enough to run even the most demanding of games like Crysis. Overclocking capability is far more important than the number of cores. As for graphics card, it is very important specially if you are running graphics-intensive apps or games.

The key is to balance all 4 (graphics, CPU, memory, and hard drive) components. So just sticking an SSD alone won't be such a performance boost even though it is theoretically faster than a mechanical drive.

For a more objective look at your system's performance, I would suggest using benchmarking tools.

9. thurbs

thurbs Member

interesting. I'm just a biz user, I don't play games ( atleast not on my mac ) so it's really looking like my stem can only go up in HDD , but I guess I need to decide that or moving into a newer MBP like unibody ( even though i hate the keyboard )

I usually run about 10-15 apps open and atleast 5-6 large files in Excel at any time, so I'm just looking to upgrade.

almost think its Macpro time, then i can use both my 30's at once lol

10. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

Sir raypin, I haven't been reading up on SSD's for a while but usn't one of the advantages is having better battery life?

I do understand that what you're trying to say is that there won't be any significant improvement when using an SSD.

11. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Yep, friend uses an SSD on his netbook and swears by the battery life improvement on it. I also want to throw my 2 cents in on Intel, as it is the fastest by far if you can get one.

12. raypin

@elx200001........theoretically yes. But I'm not convinced yet that battery life will be significantly better under real world conditions. What I do know is turning down the brightness setting, turning off wifi and bluetooth when not needed does have a significant impact on battery life.

I just don't understand why I have to pay P62.50 per gigabyte capacity for 160 gb SSD vs. P5.00 per gigabyte for a 1 TB hard drive or a 12.5 times more, for a few milliseconds advantage?! The premium is just not worth it. Of course, if you have money to throw away, SSDs are the way to go ;)

13. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

Yup, price-performance ratio isn't really big. Bragging rights maybe considered, but I don't need that. ;)

We'll just have to wait a while before we see anything revolutionary I guess...

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi Thurb, I've been using a G.Skill Falcon SSD on my 17 Macbook pro for a month now. I'll post a review thread on my impressions tonight. :)

15. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

our air 1.8ghz w/ 128g boots faster than 2.4ghz mbp

im thinking of getting 256g, checking on samsung

16. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

@ Thurbs

go for it! your Macbook Pro will be much faster (boot times, read, write etc) than a current unibody MBP even if its upgraded to a 7200RPM drive.

go to macrumors MBP subforum and look for users opinion who actually used it on their mac. as for me im sold, just waiting for the availability and syempre price to lower down a bit hehe.

17. Salaryman Ryan

18. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

How about failure rates standard vs ssd? I am a heavy torrent user and from what I have gathered, frequent read/write accelerates wear. That is understandable for standard hard disks. I've worn out a drive or two. How do ssd fare?

19. Salaryman Ryan

Many of the SSD proponents on the net say that this generation of SSD is more durable then traditional platter drives. But we can't really tell since SSD has only been out recently. In a few years we will see.

According to what I read, the good thing about SSDs is when the drive gets worn out, the unit simply becomes read only like a CD. You can access your information but can't write or delete anything from it.

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

That characteristic is a winner in my book. Failed drives sometimes catches me by surprise. How expensive are these units?