Best Internet Package/Provider?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by omarsytan, Jul 2, 2012.

1. isaak

isaak Active Member

Thanks, will definitely look into this.

2. isaak

isaak Active Member

Thanks for your reply. Our internet usage would consist of a lot of virtual meetings (both for work and school), then afterwards lots of Netflix and Fortnite. Would 130gb be enough? Thanks

3. textguru

textguru Active Member

I prefer wired rather than wireless. It depends on the area where are you living. Try to source out your neighborhood what can they say on their connection. Sometimes, the #1 internet provider is not applicable to all areas.

JMT :whistle:

4. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

I find it easy to spot which provider has the "better" service just by looking at which one has better coverage of promotional banners that are up to date.

5. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

You can use your own router for sure... what you cannot use is a 3rd party / your own "Modem-Router".

potpot2 likes this.
  6. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

well, you could always add to it. Otherwise, get LTE Postpaid Xtream plan of Globe. 1499 nets you 200GB, I think. You can use your old home address as billing address and bring the device to your new rental condo.

isaak likes this.
  7. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Guys anyone experiencing disconnection from Globe Home in QC? Our internet is showing "disconnected" since Friday evening. I checked on the Globe Home app and it seem there's maintenance on-going. But it's more than 24 hours now which is strange.

I tried calling customer service yesterday but it appears they don't have customer rep and technicians available. Will try again today to call.

Help.

8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Last week we experienced a lot of times where our internet was down especially when it rained. Tried calling, or even sending a Twitter DM to their tech support but they just ghosted me. What worked was to schedule a tech visit via the Globe At Home app. They arrived on schedule two days after booking a visit. They fixed the line outside of our house and replaced a connector. They said it was possible that the connector gathered dirt which was affecting our connection.

9. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Key take aways:

Searching for an Internet Service Provider (ISP)
    1. Quality of Service (QoS) depends on where the install will be made.
    2. To check on QoS is to ask your neighbors, home owner's association about their experience with their provider
    3. Ask them what ISP they are using now and in the past. If they're fiber/dsl/wireless (type of connection) at what Mbps and monthly fee. How reliable it is
    4. If possible conduct a benchmark using https://www.speedtest.net/ and https://fast.com/ ideally directly wired to the "modem" if possible.
    5. For speedier service availability checks provide both the install address (postal address) and the GPS coordinate. You can get your GPS coordinates via Google Maps.
    What Mbps to get
    1. If you dont know what Mbps to get start with the bare minimum for 4K Youtube/Netflix/Prime Video which is 18Mbps per person. You can go lower/higher if depending on your use case. I use Mbps for 4K as a base as that's the highest end use case and no one likes buffering video.
    2. If the QoS, Mbps and the type of connection is not available in the space you will be working/living at then consider moving elsewhere.
    3. You can tell how developed, affluent or high crime rate an area is by the availability of any utilities. Why invest if you wont get a (reasonable) return?
    4. Globe & Converge have business plans that cost the same as their residential plans. Only some of PLDT's business plans have this. Getting a business plan allows you to make it into a business expense for BIR purposes.
    5. For gamers and other latency-dependent use try to get the same ISP as your friends. Interconnection between PLDT vs everyone else is bad.
    How you can improve your QoS further
    1. Very few ISPs' "modem" have high quality built-in WiFi or built-in switch. This results in sub par Mbps that you are paying for. If this becomes a problem then request they disable the built-in WiFi & switch and connect it to a dedicated WiFi router or higher end WAP or switch. Doing this allows you the freedom of changing the WiFi name from "Globe___XXX" to "King_Castle_1Gbps" and a more consumer friendly Wi-Fi password like the title of your favorite song.
    2. Try actively cooling your ISP's "modem" and other networking equipment by placing a USB-powered fan (7" in diameter is what I use) underneath it to actively cool the equipment. Doing this would reduce the incidents of a bad internet connection. Those sold by CD-R King and Lazada lasted me about half a decade of 24/7/365 use.
    3. When possible connect your notebook, desktop, video game console, smart TV, dongle, and other internet appliance through LAN (Ethernet) cable. Doing so will reduce interference and improve connectivity and latency.
    What can govt do to improve Internet?

If you want cheaper internet one way other countries did it was to remove as much red tape as possible by removing the legal requirement for a Congressional Franchise & LGU requirements to operate a cellular tower network, telco or international backbone. By reducing the requirement to just hardware/software technical compliance for compatibility & interoperability would reduce the time, effort and money needed to provide Internet.​

I rather it be taxed using a simple rate rather than a convoluted and complex formula that anyone but CPAs would understand.

Who does not want to pay for 1,000/month for 1,000Mps?

#109 King, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Shinahashirome and Theus like this.
  10. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Thanks. I can't seem to find how can I schedule a visit on their Globe at home app. Could you tell me how?

And it's also in the app that I see a Network Advisory that they're currently undergoing some maintenance. But unfortunately there was no prior announcement that I received of this. So really not sure what's the issue.

11. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Tap on the support icon at the upper right portion when you open the app. Then select connectivity issues. Next it’ll ask you what’s your concern regarding your internet connection and the steps on how to reset your modem. When it’s done and you’re still having issues it’ll direct you to where you can schedule a technician to visit you.

12. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

Problem with most rental condos is that they have mobile data blocker. We are currently renting (20+ floor) beside a window and there is hardly a mobile data signal. If our wifi goes down then mobile data alternative is very hard.

13. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Thanks. I chose that "Connectivity Issues" then it ran a system check. Then a "Network Advisory" message prompt showed saying "due to scheduled network maintenance, you may experience slow to no internet connection. We're sorry for the inconvenience..."

At least they should have given an earlier notice of service interruption and for how long their maintenance is going to take...."

Calling their 211 customer service is also a pain... just robots talking to you.

#113 abielbad, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  14. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

This is the first time I have heard of condos having mobile data blockers. Why would they install it? Is it the same as signal jammers which are illegal?

15. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, same question. Or is the weak signal just because of the height/floor of the unit?

16. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Same sentiments. Mobile data on one network seems slower than the other but not necessarily signal jammed. Maybe it also depends on the location of the nearest cell towers or how dense the no of users (connections) in the area

17. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's most likely because you're sandwiched between other towers or are in an inner unit facing the courtyard. It happens. Even condos at 40+flr is also affected due to height.

You can have a good idea of your Globe at Home LTE service by conducting a speed and signal test on your rental condo using your Globe mobile phone, Anything above 5mbps at night is bearable (for me).

18. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Any suggestion for internet provider in dasma in makati? Been using pldt fibr for the longest time but still not happy. Fluctuating all the time. Especially with work from home and distance learning super unreliable still :(