Best Internet Package/Provider?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by omarsytan, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Only 3 devices is connected... all mobile phones. I think the plan we have is more than enough.

2. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

We are on 2,499 globe fiber 50mbps unlimited very satisfied with it, netflix 4k streaming is a breeze, nba 2k online gaming has no hiccups, no downtime or slowdown experienced so far since early this year... ios software updates takes just 5-10minutes :)

MharDelaCruz likes this.
  3. ice

Just curious...

A friend told me Converge does not allow them to use their own router.
    I found a thread at Reddit that Smart (Fiber) also doe not allow this...

Is this a normal thing with local Fiber providers?

4. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

You can use your own router. I'm a Converge user and even the tech guys who install your internet connection recommend that you use your own router over their modem+router combo.

5. ice

Thanks... I'm not sure how Converge's router works, but I'm very happy with my current one.

6. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

There might be a misunderstanding.

ONU is their gateway to their backbone (non-replaceable) while router is your off the mill TP-Link/Asus/Google Wifi system where you connect your device to.

They might be referring to the ONU which incidentally has wifi built-in. You can turn off the wifi and use your own router plugged into the LAN1 port.

7. ice

^Exactly...

Same thing we have here. ISP gives you a modem when you can connect what ever you want after, modem cannot be replaced.

I was explaining this to my friend and he told me about the DNS stuff and other stuff which for me felt like the Converge guy explaining one thing and him understanding another.

8. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

If you want GIGABIT speeds, you have to connect your router to LAN 4 of the modem. This is (last I heard) standard across all of Converge's modems. Obviously, if your plan doesn't exceed 100Mbps, you're free to use whichever LAN port you desire.

9. ice

does Converge offer 1Gbps?

I only saw up to 500Mbps from their site.

10. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

As far as I know, not yet.

11. ice

PH internet deal with Facebook a go by September 2020 — DICT | Inquirer.net

12. isaak

isaak Active Member

Hello everyone. We're planning to transfer temporarily to a condo to have our house renovated. However we will badly need fast internet due to online schooling and work from home. Are there any plans or services we can avail, given that 1) it's only for about 6-9 months 2) we don't have proof of billing in that condo? Thanks!

13. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

For gaming, I don’t recommend gaming coz their NAT is strict. Go for converge and PLDT for gaming.

For movie streaming, All 3 telcos are good.

But internet stability, go for Converge and Globe.

Based on experience. I got more than 20 internet devices at home.

14. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

For gaming, on my end Globe gives me several good servers, while PLDT gives me one great server. So I'm going with Globe for gaming.

15. warped

warped Member

You can probably check your condo’s property management office or reception, they know the ISPs available in the building. If you don’t have proof of billing yet, you can also ask the PMO for some sort of certification that you are a resident in the complex. If you already have an existing internet subscription why don’t you just transfer it to your new place that way you wouldn’t worry about the lock-in period. Hope that helps. Good luck.

isaak likes this.
  16. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Perhaps you may want to consider the prepaid broadband of Globe or PLDT. Have no experience using any of these but it will address your need for service for 6-9 months. I think it's safe to assume that the speed and stability will depend on the LTE coverage of the condo's location.

isaak likes this.
  17. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Prepaid broadband would be great @ 999 for the kit and 999 monthly for 130GB of data (PLDT/Globe)

isaak likes this.
  18. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

Been with PLDT, Destiny, Skycable, and Converge and Converge trumps them all combined. Sampaloc area is where I reside.

19. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

This is the correct one. Just move your current internet subscription to the new condo. it's just a change of address (no change in lock-in period, if you're worried about that), plus installation charges. However, if you want a fast internet connection, I would also ask the residents / admin office of the condo which is the better internet provider. Some condos have fiber built-in from either Globe or PLDT or both. Some condos have both globe and pldt but one provider can provide only 15mbps max while the other can do 50-100mbps or 1gbps. Depends on the nearby facility and what they installed in the condo.

My condo has both Globe and PLDT (there's also sky) and both have 100mbps available for my building. My gf's condo which is just within bgc also, has both PLDT (50mbps max) and Globe (15mbps max). So i think it would be worthwhile to ask the condo you're transferring to the situation with regard to the highest speed each provider can provide (also, there might be availability issues - cabinet is already full, etc.)

Not sure with the prepaid / LTE type, but i think fixed line is more reliable.

isaak likes this.
  20. isaak

isaak Active Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes we have existing internet (pldt), but I thought it would be more tedious to have it transferred to the condo, then transferred back. But I'll look into it also. Thanks.