Best home broadband service with no data limit?

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by john edward, Jan 28, 2014.

1. john edward

john edward Member

I download, stream video, radio you name it. I probably consume 8-12GB/mo on average. Everything worth watching shd be enjoyed in HD!

Most broadband plans now have Fair Use Policies that puts a limit to usage at optimum speeds.

Can you help suggest plans I can use at home where I at least get 3MB speeds with no data limits in mkt and alabang?

What I know so far:
    PLDT MYDSL
    Not aware of usage limits but service can sometimes be unreliable in alabang and makati. There are days it slows down.

PLDT Fibr
    Starts at P3500 for up to 8MB. Sister has it in alabang. Everyone in the family browse and at least a family member downloads HD movies. No complaints from them. Only problem is the service is only available in selected subdivisions.

Smart prepaid LTE
    A business center teller claimed that the only service without data limits is their regular browsing charge which is P15-20 /30 mins. All promo bundles and post paid and prepaid plans have usage limits. Has anybody tried this?

GLOBE DSL
    I read something on the net that this too has an FUP implemented. Know people on this but they are not nearly as "Internet savvy" as I am.

Let's try to solve this one muggers... Over population is a problem as it is. We don't want the year of the horse to be a record breaking year for the wrong reasons.

2. balikpinoy

balikpinoy Member

Everyone will have FUP. Pldt DSL or Fibr will be your best bet.

3. rimewire

rimewire Member

Oh, by the way, there's a difference between Mbps and MBps. Lowercase b is bit, uppercase is byte. So for example, PLDT Fibr's 8 Mbps plan (as per their site http://pldthome.com/surf/fibr/about) is 8 megabits per second, not 8 megabytes per second. Although of course telcos use fonts in their advertisements to confuse people.

4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

8-12GB/month? Globe DSL or PLDT DSL would be a good fit for you then. PLDT would be my first choice since they are truly unlimited while Globe will come out cheaper for the same bundle but they have fair usage capping of I think, 5GB/day with 500kbps speed if you reached your allowance. The same plan 1600 for PLDT only gives out 3mbps while Globe's speed is 5mbps. As per service and reliability both telco have their respective advantages. Just don't get those LTE or wireless broadband plans from Globe or Smart (for the sake of consistency and reliability).

btw, 3mbps is only good for 720p HD videos. Better get 5-8mbps for 1080p streaming.

5. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

actually you only just have one choice which is pldt dsl/fiber. right now they are the only ones that doesn't have capping.

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....if available in your area, Skycable broadband - 15 GB per month allowance, up to 10 Mbps for Php1,299.00.

7. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Considering you just use 12-15GB a month, Globe should be fine for you. I'm on their 3Mbps plan with 7GB daily usage allowance, it goes down to around 30% (1Mbps) of your plan speed after you hit the cap. They have a 5Mbps plan for I think P1599 and 7Mbps for like P2499.

Their high-speed plans though don't have daily caps. It starts at P3499 for 10Mbps all the way to P16999 for 150Mbps (saw their new plans on Globe press room).

8. briareos

briareos Member

Dependent on your area, BayanDSL does not have a cap.

9. rockion

rockion Member

normally I consume around 70 -90GB a month because of F/HD streaming, downloading PS games and everything...

gusto ko sana ng fibr kaso wla pa daw dito sa subdivision namin hahaha so...

I'm planning to get the Pldt myDSL High speed plan 3Mbps + landline (999+650 = 1649/month)(wifi modem + installation free) instead of the bundle plan 1299 which is 2Mbps only + landline (+1200 for wifi modem or through monthly installment)

I hope pldt is good and most of all stable here in our subdivision in novaliches. >_<

ask ko lang, is the pldt modem has an auto connect/auto dial feature in their modems? like the ones in bayatel and in globe now? the one na pag on mo ng model, wait for lights to be stable and your good to go! and not like in the old ones na kelangan pa ng PPOE dialer?

this would be my first time to have a pldt connection. :p

10. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

I have that 999+650 plan for about 8 months now, it dials automatically, just wait for all the lights to turn green. It's even much more stable than my 4,100 8.5 Mbps plan.

11. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

we just had sky broadband installed on our house a week ago....i specifically asked for their unlimited plan as they might put me into a capped plan by mistake.

12. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ it's 'automatic'. don't wait for all lights to turn green & be stable, ethernet's orange & flickering :) i'm on plan PhP3k (8Mbps).

13. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

That's good that it doesn't cap. Does Fibr throttle your speeds once you download a certain amount per day or per month? I'm looking around also for a replacement provider and there is Fibr in our area.

14. rockion

rockion Member

thanks guys for confirming! :D

that would be great!

by the way ask ko lang, wifi modem naba yung kasama sa pldt fibr? I saw in google and youtube at dg solutions that there is a wireless fibr.

just a thought, since fibr now have a wireless modem, will there be a difference in wifi connection between like 8Mbps Wireless Fibr vs. 8Mbps Wireless myDSL?

PLDT New Wireless FIBR Modem-How to Setup WiFi - YouTube

15. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

I actually acquired having PLDT XPERIENCE PLAN990 plus landline bundle (I think its 250 + landline, since i have already have landline na, so I oay 250 alone for broadband), and this has no data cap, so please go for PLDT, they are 99.99% honest when it comes to speeds (btw, this is 1.5 Megabits per second only.) :)

16. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

OT: are there any other home broadband provider other than pldt,globe, bayantel and sky broadband? Just wondering since all of these internet service provider mentioned cant seem to establish a DSL connection at our location.

17. john edward

john edward Member

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm keeping my PLDT in alabang maybe just bump to 5Mb. My place in mkt has unreliable PLDT service... could be a bldg facility issue. For yrs PLDT couldn't fix it. You can forget assistance via hotline too. Globe maybe is a block short of my exact location.

Globe suggested pocket wifi 4G (hspa+) for my usage: 12/mb (BYtes/bits not sure) for 999. Il see how that goes. Will balance usage w mobile LTE plan.

18. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

yes. wireless modem ang binigay ng pldt fibr sa amin.

19. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

Subsribed to Bayan (2 years), Destiny (1 1/2 years), and PLDT (1 1/2 years and counting) and I can safely say that PLDT has the most stable connection in our location (Sampaloc-UST area). Bayan is second, some streets here are still not covered by their DSL network. Destiny is a far third. Worst ISP ever. I even wondered why I lasted that long with such a crappy provider. I was never happier the moment I got my subscription terminated.

20. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

Am on Globe DSL 5Mbps plan. Data cap is 10GB per day.