Before upgrading to a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by McUtoy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. McUtoy

McUtoy Member

I am planning to upgrade my Macbook to a Macbook Pro. But I have a couple of issues that I would like to ask for your opinions.

1. I foolishly installed a Anti-Virus. More foolish is the fact that I installed a wrong version! Now, when I start up my current macbook, the error messages pops up all the time.
    2. I have backed up all my data with Time Machine regularly.

So with the above situation, my question is; if I get the new MBP, and use my time machine for back up, would I get back again the Wrong version of the Anti-Virus?

I need your suggestion on what I can do before I get that MBP.

Thanks guys.

2. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

First of all, why did you install an anti-virus? the mac is practiacally virus-resistant..

3. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@mcutoy: Why not just uninstall the antivirus and save yourself a headache?

4. McUtoy

McUtoy Member

I tried to uninstall it. But it seems I have to take it to the service center to do so. Couldnt spare the time being away from my Mac.

5. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

have you tired uninstalling them using apps like appcleaner and etc?

6. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@mcutoy: When you tried to uninstall it last time, did you turn it off and shut down all processes associated with it using activity monitor? Have you tried following rattrapante's advice?

What Antivirus is this exactly? What version did you install and what is the exact error message that shows up?

7. McUtoy

McUtoy Member

thanks for the input guys.

I foolishly installed a Norton Anti-Virus upon the prodding of the Mac Guys in Vancouver BC. However, I got the wrong version instead. Too late for me to return it or do anything as I was already back in Manila. The version I got was for the older Mac OS (Tiger).

I havent tried Appcleaner application yet. (I'm still a newbie in terms of using a Mac.)

The error messages that I get everytime I start up just states that the version that I installed is the wrong version, and that I should uninstall and install the correct version for my OS. I tried uninstalling it with the Norton Utilities, but so far I managed to uninstall the Norton menu, but not the messages.

8. McUtoy

McUtoy Member

I just tried the Appcleaner. Unfortunately, it couldnt also find the Norton program. So I guess it's best that I head out to the service center for reinstallation.

9. mitchtb

mitchtb Active Member

I did my transition 3 months ago. I did the time machine thing when i upgraded my HDD of my macbook to a bigger one before upgrading to a MBP. I had some errors and lost a lot of data! Stupid me. When i was migrating from my MB to my MBP, i was really afraid of making the same error again. I used CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner). It clones your old HD to the HD your are migrating to. Did the Job.

Clone, synchronize, backup. Schedule and forget it. Try it 'til you trust it.
    The key to a successful backup plan is to actually do the backups regularly. When left to a human, the task often gets tacked on to the end of a very long list of other things to do. When you eventually have a catastrophe, the data is simply gone. You know that feeling -- you just lost six years of family photos. Your kids being born, their first birthdays, their first everything. The answer to this is consistent and regular backups, placed on a schedule and handled automatically by your computer.
    CCC 3 features an interface designed to make the cloning and backup procedure very intuitive. In addition to general backup, CCC can also clone one hard drive to another, copying every single block or file to create an exact replica of your source hard drive. CCC's block-level copy offers the absolute best fidelity in the industry!

The good thing here is, its free! Just my 2 cents :D

10. McUtoy

McUtoy Member

Thanks very much for the info.

11. McUtoy

McUtoy Member

Well, just to close this topic. I took it to Charlie's shop, and was advised that the best thing to do is to reinstall everything I had on it. Problem started was that I didnt use softwares such as Appcleaner or Appzapper to properly uninstall the software.

Lesson learned.

Thanks again for the suggestions.