Beats Solo 3: is it a good buy?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by h2obaby, Sep 19, 2016.

1. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

With the onset of the 3.5mm-jack-less iPhone 7/+, the new Beats Solo 3 has become really tempting -- this is coming from someone who is most likely to lose half of the AirPods. I'm trying to determine whether this temptation has its own merits, like if it's worthy enough, or if I should just let it pass and eventually let it go. I've read tons of issues on BT headphones wherein they don't sound as good wireless than wired, etc, and these issues were supposedly addressed in the newer Solo versions starting with the Solo 2.

What do you guys think?

2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I haven't heard the Beats Solo 3. But it's reputed to have a 400-ft range. That's useful, for example, in-flight, when the restroom is farther down the cabin. I'm serious - my iPad loses connection with my BT earphones after about 20 rows.

I love the sound of my BT headphones and earphones, and for mobile use I don't miss my wired 'phones with amps.

3. RaijinGrey

RaijinGrey Member

BT Headphones sounds good nowadays because of the new technology. Beats Solo 3 is rated at 40hrs battery life which is really good and I read that their bluetooth chip is optimized for IOS 10.

For me, there are better BT headphones in that price range. I would recommend Bose QC 35, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless and Sony h.ear on Wireless

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

The Apple W1 chip makes a big difference. ;-)

5. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

Thanks for the input, guys!

My impulse is telling me to go get one. Have a relative who's coming home from SG in the next couple of weeks. But as I've learned through past experiences, I may need to wait this out for my own sanity.

6. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

You lost me at Beats .. there are better brands or even lesser known names that deliver better quality and value.

7. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, AKG Y50BT and Harman Kardon Soho would be among them...

But on the other hand, since Apple now owns Beats and they now design what's inside of it, I think the Beats Solo 3 will produce audio quality way better than their previous iterations.

8. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^But Apple aint good in the audio department either (yet).

@OP - get a Grado.

9. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

+1 on the Bose QC 35 suggestion. I've been eyeing it myself and it has very promising reviews, even from Marques Brownlee

10. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Jbl Everest looks promising too

11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Using Bose SoundSport Wireless - it's pretty good. Bose had(still has?) bad rep (well from the audiophile community) for being overpriced and mediocre but I believe they have improved lately.

12. christianz30

christianz30 Active Member

I'm currently using Power Beats 2 and I'm also tempted to buy the Beats Solo 3...
    Here are my reviews of PB2:
    Negative:
    -Pairing with iPhone sucks big time prior to iOS10
    -It is uncomfortable to the ears(I think my ears are weirdly shaped so it doesn't fit properly)
    -Battery life sucks, it drains without even playing audio
    -It's annoying to switch across devices (ex. apple watch, iphone, macbook)

I'm tempted to buy Beats Solo 3 because:
    -Pairing looks seamless and awesome
    -Hoping it's more comfortable to wear(although I've watched some videos that they say it isn't comfortable as well)
    -Hoping it cancels noise from outside
    -It looks freakin' amazing, it looks like a fashion accessory more than an audio device
    -Hoping it maximizes and fits well with the apple ecosystem of multiple devices

But then again, I'm not sure if I want to dish out $300 for a sub-par device which just happens to be produced by a company who spend a lot for its marketing...

I'm torn as well, welp! XD

On a side note, is there an authorized reseller for beats in ph that also caters warranty?