BE Careful in Upgrading to iPhoto. Backup First.

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by francismir, Mar 4, 2005.

1. francismir

francismir Member

Warning to all you PhilMuggers. Do not upgrade to iLife 05 especially iPhoto 5.0. It's a bug infested piece of programming. My iPhoto caused me to lose a lot of my pictures. I don't know how they all vanished! Plus it's horribly slow!

Sigh...

Is there any hidden folder where I can find my pictures? I have no idea why they vanished!

So my next question is HOW DO I UNINSTALL THE THING?:mad::mad:

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by francismir]

2. elbert

elbert Active Member

Sorry to hear that Francis. I, on the other hand, have nothing bad to say about iLife '05. In fact, I love iPhoto 5.

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been using iLife '05 for about a month now. I have had zero problems with it so far and they're performing much better than the previous versions. I've been using iPhoto, iMovie HD and iDVD regularly. I personally know of 4 other Mac users who upgraded to iLife '05 without any problems.

Did you check your ~/Pictures folder if the data is still there?

4. alvinbai

alvinbai Member

Same here. no problem whatsoever. check the pictures folder if it still has some data in it.

5. jasondv

jasondv Member

No problems here as well. In fact, I experienced the opposite. iPhoto is now faster, and the new features are so welcome.

6. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

no problems with it myself... haven't lost a single picture at all

7. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

Same as the others. I am loving iPhoto 5 and its new features. My pictures are loading faster and the new editing stuff is great. When I upgraded I didn't lose a single picture.

8. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

i have tinkered so much with iPhoto5 yet.. initial impression slow. I was able to get Graphic Converter 5.5 just for comparison :D

9. spawnster

spawnster Guest

The first you should BEFORE installing iLife is to rebuild your iPhoto libraries. It's a known bug in this release and a lot of people have complained already.

Hold down command-option-shift and launch iPhoto 4. It will ask if you want to rebuild your library. This will fix your iPhoto library if it is corrupted. The thing is, you wont know if your library is corrupted.

Sorry if this advice came late.

10. bagwis

bagwis Active Member

No problems here too. I love the RAW support it now has.

11. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

Everything's fine so far, though I only have ONE complaint: iMovie HD. I don't mind the multiple unexpected quits while I import some .mov files, but the one thing that really drove me nuts was it rendered a 2-hour video that I was editing practically useless. I can't open it any more without iMovie HD crashing on me. I suppose the software wasn't designed to edit more than 2 hours worth of video?

Also, is it just me, or has anyone else experienced the audio disappearing after rendering it? I've noticed that the audio disappears just after the transition between clips. I'm not sure if the video format has got anything to do with it, but I'm using the MPEG-4 format (rather than the HD or DV format). It's driving me nucking futs. :mad:

I'll experiment more with it though. I'll try editing the video using HD format and see if I'll experience the same problems. Gosh, I hope not. *crosses fingers*

12. cyberprince

cyberprince Active Member

No problem here either. Same as the others it does work faster than the previous version of iPhoto.

13. francismir

francismir Member

How odd... i wonder what happened? Hmmm... arrgghhh!
    I'll try rebuilding my iPhoto library when I get home.

14. Polar Mac

Polar Mac Active Member

no problems too when i installed it, in fact i'll be organizing my photo library now with the new "folders" feature :lol:

15. jepoy

jepoy Member

try having it checked

16. wicket

wicket Member

sorry to hear about your horrible (i'm sure) experience my friend, but like most of the people in this forum, i didn't have any problems after i upgraded to ilife 05, i hope you find a solution to your problem soon... bad trip yan:(

17. Myles

Myles Member

Maybe it's an isolated case. Using iLife '05 here at home too and everything is better and working okay. In fact, I just finished editing a documentary using only iMovie! Simple, straightforward yet powerful application.

18. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

Just an update on my iMovie complaint: Working with an HD video format has indeed solved the mysterious audio disappearance in between transitions. Whoohoo! There's one disadvantage though: Importing clips seems to take longer. Maybe it's just me. :roll:

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by Jiru-chan]

19. bagac

bagac Member

no problems for me... but i seldom use it anyway kaya baka i never noticed any problem.

20. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

Since you're the only one who had a bad experience in the iLife update maybe it is prudent to revise your post's subject heading. It is kind of misleading. ;)

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by peter_ob]