Be A Wedding Guest, not the Photographer..

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by kentamayo, Feb 6, 2012.

1. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

This is a good article :D

lol i thought you are gonna say about people shooting fireworks using DSLR's pop up flash =)). i saw someone/many people doing that last chinese new year. hahah

2. danielg

danielg PhilMUG Addict Member

I attended a wedding of a close friend late last year and one of the relatives, an uncle, there was walking around with a LX5 in a leather case around his neck, he would battle the official photographers for positioning in capturing shots and even went up on stage to shoot the whole ceremony. After a couple of shots, he would approach one of the official photographers to show off his shots and discuss it with her (one of the official photographer is a female).

He would hustle down to the audience and shoot the sponsors and then approach the sponsors with his shots then hustle back up the stage to shoot. It was distracting and extremely annoying!

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

@danielg, if I were the father of the bride, I would have made the uncle sit down and plied him with a lot of drinks until he passed out, haha!

4. danielg

Hahaha, hirap kasi relative ng wife ng father e kaya di nya madabihan hehehe

5. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

@ Soloworx - Actually yeah, it is part of our culture now especially the "Pics or Shenanigans" part, it's really hard to enjoy the moment when you have your face buried in the LCD or viewfinder of your camera ;)

@ Dan - they have a nickname for those kinds of guests in the wedding industry now, he's called Uncle Bob! hehe

6. doughn

doughn Active Member

Guilty ONLY if my daughter has a role in the wedding ( like flowergirl )

7. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

"father, excuse me lang ho" (di makunan ng maayos yong mag-asawa)

"father pwedeng paki ulit yong bendisyon" (di kasi nakunan)

"father pwede dito kayo sa kaliwa?" (para mas ok composition)

would you rather take photos of your kids blowing that candle, taking that 1st step, making that 1st bicycle ride? or would you rather be right beside them? i'll bet most parents these days will choose the former ;)

8. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

Wedding Photography. Its more Fun in the Philippines! Lol! If I was getting married I would probably indicate on the invitations that cameras are not allowed and that photos will be provided via email. Ill make sure I get photographers who can shoot all the nice shots.

9. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

this is a very nice read.

although my sis' wedding wasn't far from the usual scene where people would take out everything just to shoot the bride as she walks along the aisle, it turned out to be a blessing-in-disguise because the official photographers arrived only before the reading of scriptures was about to start.

10. iPao

iPao Member

I remember during my own wedding earlier this year, I had to shout at my brother in law and uncles to put their cameras down and join the family shots. Apparently forgot that they were supposed to be on the other side of the lens that time.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

11. runner10

runner10 Member

Actually I don't underand why guests take photos of the bride during the bridal march (whether is be a DSLR, P&S or cam phone) -- is not as if they will be printing these photos or using the images for their desktop wallpaper.

12. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Lucky break (or maybe unlucky) as those official photographers were not professional enough to go before the event even started.

@danielg, I hope the official photographers included in their contract that they're not liable for missing/bad shots due to interference from other people. Hahaha. Busy body si uncle ah. :))

13. danielg

Yup Uncle BOB nga hehehe
    :D

14. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

I guess for me, it will depend on how close I am to the bride and or groom of if I were part of the wedding entourage. I would probably take several pictures as souvenir if it was a classmate, a godsibling, cousin etc. But in general I would rather just watch and enjoy the moment. And of course I would rather be in the pictures thank be the one taking them.

15. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

live for the moment than just make the moment lives on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Uhmmm... whut?

17. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

I believe he meant...

OT: coquiero's camera deserves to hang around his neck during these said occasions, kahit pa walang film, dapat i-display yan! haha. And no issue about burying his face on the LCD, dahil film nga ang gamit--back-to-the-action-right-after-the-shot. ;)

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Same for videography. People think they are capturing the moment with their consumer devices; plenty of those in concerts too. Many upload their amateur pride on YouTube or Facebook, not realizing how lousy their recorded sound was--which is the primary point of a concert. Duh! :slanted: So not only did they miss *the moment*, they recorded crap too. :p

Which is why when I go to a concert, I bring a high-quality field recorder, set it once and leave it on the whole time. Then, afterwards, I scour YouTube for a quality video to download, use FCP X to overlay my better-than-most audio and voila!--I have the best bootleg video for posterity's sake. And I enjoyed every bit of the concert too! :)

There are reasons why they don't allow video/photography in spectacular events, like Cirque du Soleil shows: 1) piracy; 2) distracting; and 3) as Bruce Lee puts it "Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of that heavenly glory." :p

19. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

A lot of people dont actually care about audio visual quality anymore thats why they do that in concerts. May mai-post lang sa YouTube para magpasikat is more like it.

20. shiro_ian

shiro_ian Member

Good point in just enjoying the moment.

Although, I can also understand how people like taking pictures of all the events they attend. Pictures/Videos have a way of "immortalizing" the feeling during the event. Every time I look at my albums I get almost the same feeling as I had during the actual event, and that for me makes those photos worth the effort. And even though we can just look at other people's albums, there's something more personal, more emotional if you're looking at pictures you yourself actually took.

For me it's not really the quality of the photos, how good the composition is, or how great the audio quality is. It's about being able to relive the event when I'm looking at my own shots, remembering what I felt during that time. They serve as something like a more high-tech, more visual diary.