Be A Wedding Guest, not the Photographer..

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by kentamayo, Feb 6, 2012.

1. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

I just want to share this story I found while browsing a while ago..

In this day and age where we are connected 24/7, sometimes our digital habits can get the better of us, it's now come to the point where we have our faces glued to an LCD screen in one form or another be it a TV, mobile phone, tablet or camera.

Now there's nothing wrong with documenting every single second of your life, but when it comes to important events, you typically wouldn't want to miss that special moment, but in doing so, your incessant need to capture that moment more likely than not, will cause you to miss that moment altogether. This is the sad state that we are in right now, I know everyone wants to experience that moment but in doing so, are you really there? Are you participating in that moment or are you just a mere observer?

I found two articles, one related to the other about exactly these kinds of situations, I'd really like everyone to take heed and read these articles as they apply not just to weddings but other special events as well.

[​IMG]
    http://offbeatbride.com/2011/06/unplugged-wedding

[​IMG]
    http://neilvn.com/tangents/2011/09/08/be-the-wedding-guest-not-the-photographer/#more-9103

All too many times have I experienced this, and not just at weddings, some corporate functions and big galas have these err... "Uncle Bobs" as well. There are times when having paparazzo style events are okay, but sometimes you've gotta ask yourself?

Are you a guest or a photographer?

How much of that moment do you remember?

2. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Good find and good points @kentamayo!

Sometimes, wedding photo shoots take longer because people still want personal copies on their own cameras so they would burden the photographer with 4-5 additional cameras.

We normally just ask one person to take the picture and with the proper use of social media, just tag the others who want a copy of the same photo.

3. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

Photo Flash Mob anyone? Lol!

4. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

This is why I never bring cameras other than my iPhone's anymore. I enjoy those moments, and I'd like to be in them.

5. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

The thing that pisses me off the most, especially as a photographer is the guest who asks you to take their photo... followed by droves of guests who hand you their cameras... I've gotten mad during these times more than once. :p

it's even come to a point where I don't bring a camera anymore... even when asked to.

6. v8designstudio

Hahahaahaa.. so laughing out loud Ken...

I remember bringing my camera as a guest on a wedding. Nope, it wasn't round me neck. Just me lap. In fact, it sat besides me left- wife on right. All throughout the ceremony and the banquet.

The official photog kept looking at me and the cam - and so were the other photogs - from gathering to reception to banquet...mannnn that was so fun! Should've clipped a snap of 'em with that why-is-this-guy-not-using-his-camera? look...

Finally, at 40 minutes off the beginning...i slipped stealthily on the altar - near the minister's shoulders just in time for the "You may kiss the bride part"... with the shutter dial on Ch - pressed the shutter and bam! 9fps for 6 seconds.

Oh mannn.... !!!! Just remembering hearing the shutter made me laugh out again! hihihi....

I think I saw the eyes and ears of that 6k photog got bigger than his head! Wahahaha!!!!

7. briareos

briareos Member

Somehow, the digital camera revolution has made people experience their lives vicariously through the digital camera lens. "If it doesn't happen in front of a lens, it didn't happen, and I never experienced it."

Sad, really. I do photography as a hobby, and I do have several cameras in my box. But I never bring a camera to events where I am a guest because I want to experience the event as a guest. I prefer to experience life through my naked eyes with close to 180 degrees viewing angle and in really extreme HD and 3D. Not through an image sensor and a 3" LCD screen.

8. barns

barns Member

Slightly OT. For me, I mostly notice this during concerts, where everyone tries to snap a video of the band singing their songs to the point where they sacrifice the enjoyment of attending the actual concert.

As for me, I just try to sing along during the concert without digicam on hand, knowing that I can relive the night through other people's videos on youtube.

9. Tingwa

Tingwa Member

Haha good find in there Ken.

Oh well… that's the drawback of digital age (for me) wherein everyone has one from cam-phones to instamatics to slr's. Although, I remember back in the eighties that my mom also always have one her pocket a Kodak 110 camera during events - be it wedding, baptism, funeral etc. For her to capture that moments on film.

Photography is really different back then than what it is now. :)

Maybe, we just need to bear with it "thee guest". We can't tell our clients and asks their guests not to use their cameras during ceremonies. It's already been given (for me) "that guests are just trying to capture things and not really focus on the actual ceremonies, programs etc. - maybe it's just a hasty generalization on my part. hehe

I guess we can include them in the photo with good art direction and put some humor out if (just like your sample photos)

Just my two centavos… ;-)

10. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

my favorite part of pinoy weddings (especially in public areas/churches) is the unauthorized Paparazzi that will take photos of the wedding instantly print them and then sell them secretly on the side of the church to patrons.

I remember my wife being so angry at me at purchasing a photo from the guerilla photographers during her kuya's wedding... hahahah...

it felt like a shady drug deal :eek:... the paparazzi/pirate called me aside and opened up this binder and there was this awesome picture of my wife and I:rolleyes: ... I haggled the price down to where he started yelling at me out of anger... and then the official photographer and my wife's brother saw the paparazzi and chased after him and almost started a rumble!

my wife started yelling at me for purchasing the pirated photograph... hahaha... but in fairness that photo is framed and hanging in our house till this day...;)

11. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

Maybe its because people want to (ahem) flaunt their photos and post it on FB or any other social networking site. I know a lot of amateurs think they are pros when they wield their DSLRs.

As the FB saying goes, "Di Porket Naka DSLR ka, Photographer Ka Na!".

12. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

i find this funny sa mga fireworks show naman. everybody was looking at their cameras and not at the actual fireworks... really made me laugh

13. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Buti nalang hindi na ako naka-DSLR. haha!
    I believe they're checking out their shots. A habit called chimping.

14. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I never have to use my camera in my weddings - I just witness and savor the moment, while praying for the couple. Perks of being a minister :)

15. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

no bro, i mean while the actual fireworks show is ongoing. well i'm not talking about the pros just the casual viewer armed with cameras and camera phones

16. Arel

Arel Active Member

Calls to mind the reaction of a foreigner guest upon seeing Kodakan at work at a wedding, "Can't you just share the picture? It's the same people anyway."

17. yammie

yammie Member

this is a good find. that's why i do not bring my cameras to events which i'm a guest so i can resist the temptation of taking pictures. madami na lagi may dala ng camera, ayaw ko na makigulo pa. :D

18. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Couldn't agree more, and this applies not only to weddings, but seminars and functions as well.

Actually the organizers and officiators have a say on whether or not people can take pictures, we have to remember that we ARE in fact guests... and we as guests should respect the couple/organizer/officiator's wishes.

19. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

These are all thanks to two equations:

Cheap cameras = Everybody has to have one
    No pics = B.S.

It's the bad side of social networking. It gives one an outlet to show off their amateur work to a crowd of friends that's willing to give out instant gratification. This in turn encourages the 'photog' to post more pics. It's a wicked cycle.

I got an invitation a few years ago with the following notice written at the bottom of the card: "Please avoid using your cameras during our very special event." or something to that effect. During the wedding, there were a few 'pasaways', still. But not as bad as the weddings I've been through before and after that.

20. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Ken, just you wait when Shinryu starts growing, you'll never leave home without your camera, haha! But that's beside the point since we're talking about being guests/spectators at events. The real and simple message that shooting your own photos conveys is: "I WUZ DER!"

This shouldn't really be a problem unless the organizer expressly prohibits it. Or the organizer can disallow flash photography at the very least, or cordon off a no-photo-zone around the main performers. I guess it's a socio-cultural development brought about by technology, economies of scale and exploitation of customers' wants and needs.

And yes, Lawrence, when you saw the "awesome picture" of you and your wife, you were right in grabbing it. Oftentimes, a certain photo simply calls out to you and you can't NOT have it.

I don't see this phenomenon as being good or being bad. It just happened and is here to stay for some time.