Backing Up

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ijingo, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I have recently purchased WD My Book Studio Edition II. Before I back up my files/system, i ran into Apple's tutorial on website: I have a Snow Leopard in place and will install after I do the backup:

Question, How/What is the best step to back up all system files before I do a clean install on my Mac and run Snow.....then backup my files.

Using Time Machine:
    [​IMG]

And then...use Restore System from Backup feature of the Mac OS X Installer.

Or should I back up manually. This is rather an intermediate-expert level already.

Just want to make sure before I mess up.

Thanks for the help.

#1 ijingo, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Either way is applicable but TM is much simpler. You may opt to Carbon Copy Cloner so you can boot-up from your external drive with your previous OSX. Just in case you want to return.

3. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Thanks, will it restore all my files/applications including iLife '08? to their rightful destinations?

4. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

It's a clone bro. A replica. If by chance your new system failed to boot or just feel like restarting from your old OSX, just press the Option key while booting then select that clone drive and presto! You can even use/boot to that clone on another Intel Mac machines.

5. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Okay. Just wondering the advantages you have in mind why should I restore all where i can just do the upgrade and install. Not erase then restore all. anyways, thanks for the input.

6. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

The point is... not necessarily to "erase and restore all" but to be sure when things won't turn-out as expected. You can go back without restoring at all, just boot-up from the clone drive without touching what you have upgraded and installed.

7. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

That makes sense, backing up the whole thing is the best move.

8. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

All you have to do is allocate a separate partition for the Carbon Copy Cloner to use, then set the rest of your external drive space for TM back-up and/or additional storage.

What's the capacity of the external drive anyway? It should have a capacity of more than double of the internal drive.

9. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I have a 1TB. Haven't downloaded CCC yet. found Super Duper but haven't done anything yet. If i use CCC, possible pala na ipartition yung external for clone and the rest back up via TM. will go over the instructions of CCC. if I understand hopefully.

10. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

superduper can clone it also. the trial version can do the full backup. What it wont do is incremental. But since you are upgrading the trial version will do.

11. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I opted to use my WD 320GB. partitioned it as a Time Machine Back up and an external hard drive. Forgot to format the external partition to DOS. I think i can still reformat that.

After back up, installed Snow and now Im reviewing it. The finder is lagging, pictures tend to load slower. Don't know why.

12. mystavros

mystavros Member

did you checked what other processes that might be running in the background?

13. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Perhaps Spotlight is doing its indexing on newly attached hard drive. Let Activity Monitor check it. Spotlight tends to index drives initially. It will normalize when its through.

14. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

guys regarding WD. I have a WD 320GB I made my Backup yesterday since I was planning to get a SL hopefully today. It kept asking me to format my WD before it will backup my files to the WD and that is what I did since my WD was brand new and no files were in it yet. Now after reformat I was able to backup my files but now I cant access my WD using my PC. I still would like to use my WD Passport for my PC also. Hope somebody can help me. para hindi rin masayang yung WD ko. thanks in advance

15. glennp00

glennp00 Member

i have the same problem.also how do you partition the external wd?

16. macjerk

macjerk Member

Download MacDrive link >http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/ and, install it on your Windows PC

17. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Did you use TimeMachine to do the backup, if yes, the format would not be recognized by WXP.

Try to partition using Disk Utilities and create 2 partitions:
    1. For TimeMachine Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    2. For Windows - try FAT32, If you have NTFS32 and Macfuse on your Mac, format the partion to NTFS

did this on my 1TB external HD for backups of TimeMachine and Windows Stuff. HTH

18. glennp00

glennp00 Member

any alternative thats free?

19. macjerk

macjerk Member

Torrents? :redface:

20. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

How do you partition? I have no knowledge how to do this. a step by step guide will be very much be appreciated. thanks again