Azureus acting up: this happen to anyone?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Adel, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

My torrent client Azureus is acting strange lately.

Am downloading two large files and even if I've downloaded all of it, it keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny. I have a file that's purportedly just 675mb, and I've already downloaded 735 mb and it still keeps going; the status bar says it's only at 97%.

Another file is supposedly 734mb but I've downloaded 800mb and the status bar says only 98.7% has been acquired. WTF?

This has actually happened several times before, but it's only overshot by at most 5mb. Now I'm surpassing 60 to 70mb, and that's already a goodly amount.

Is this a recognized Azureus bug?

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

This happened to me before also on the PC a while back. Though its never happened again. Could be something wrong with the .torrent files? I've downloaded dozens of torrents and never had that problem again (on the PC version 2.2.0.2).

[Edited on 8-6-2005 by Kenneth]

3. jakcfrost

jakcfrost Guest

this happened to me as well, i think it has something to do with some downloaded corrupt data that wasnt used thats why it had to download more, it happened to me when i tried to download the whole lost season 1, 8gb worth, azureus was saying i had to download 9gb, but when azureus was finished downloading everything was fine, and all the files were complete.

i guess dont mind it.

4. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Figured as much. I was thinking it was a bit like Limewire which verifies the file, and if there is something that isn't quite right, it goes back and tries to get that part until everything checks out.

But it's taking too long, and in the time I've waited for the files to complete, I could have downloaded them again entirely several times over. I think there's something wrong with that picture, don't you?

A new version was of Azureus was just released today (you can get it here), and I hope it fixes the problem.

5. wasabi2me

wasabi2me Member

Hi Adel. I'm new to this. What port do you use when prompted in the Configuration Wizard?

6. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

That problem maybe caused by bad data that has been downloaded, Azureus will redownload that bad data. or maybe that particular torrent is being attacked by authorities, what they do is they connect to the tracker and sends out bad data to the peers. Causing them to download bad data. I've read about it at torrent forums. That is why it is highly recommended that you use safepeer, so that malicious IP addresses won't connect to you.

7. ncarandang

ncarandang Active Member

6881. test the port first.

8. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

I would suggest other 4 digit port number aside from 6881-6889, Because ISPs knows these numbers as bittorrent ports, so they may block it.

9. Dave_D

Dave_D Active Member

Yes we know it, but why would we block it? As common carriers, it's not our right to do so unless ordered by the NTC.

It's usually corporate networks that block ports depending on their own computer use policies. So if your Torrent client does not work in the office, you have to take it up with your MIS or IT department.

10. wasabi2me

wasabi2me Member

Thanks guys. They all give me errors (NATerror, what's that?).

11. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

If you're using a router, for each computer that connects to the router and uses bittorrent, you need to create a unique port-forward entry and make sure that the port ranges don't overlap. The ports defined in the router need to match with the ports used by your bittorrent client.

Creating port-forwards essentially open those ports for the applications that use those ports.

12. Dave_D

Dave_D Active Member

There'a a nice website called portforward.com that provide details descriptions on how to do this depending on what type of router you own. Just select what type you have and it will show you step by step how to accomplish this.

13. wasabi2me

wasabi2me Member

Wow! Thanks lamski and Dave_D! That portforward.com site is really helpful.