Automator How-To's

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by kartman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. kartman

kartman Member

Dear Mods,

Are there any plans to conduct a mini workshop for Tiger's Automator just like the Widget workshop last month?

Sana sana sana sana...:winkgrin:

If so, please sign me up. I'd really like to know how to use the Automator to create workflows that will simplify my work.

kartman

2. purplegurl

purplegurl Member

While the mods are orchestrating your Automator workshop request, suggest you go and visit :

http://www.automator.us
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/

3. iamlet

iamlet Member

thanks for the link purplegurl..

4. kartman

kartman Member

most excellent, purplegurl!

thanks for the link!

5. kartman

kartman Member

finally getting the hang of using automator for some repetitive tasks.

but i made a big booboo when i did a batch conversion of some high res images. i wanted to make low res copies so i could work faster in doing some layouts. i sequenced the workflow in the wrong order so now i'm stuck with a folder of low res (2mb jpegs down to 88kb!) images with no high res to work with! :(

lesson to self: always back up when experimenting!

6. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

I just finishing making my first AUTOMATOR app that resizes photos hehehe.

It was fairly easy once you get the sequence of what you want to do right.

Just a question, how do I use variables? Or actually, what I would like to do is take a folder of JPG's, make duplicates of these images which are then scaled down to 1024x764, and then for these low-res images to be copied into the SUBFOLDER of the SOURCE directory.

How do you do that?

Currently I have programmed my Automator to copy these files to a directory on my Desktop called "RESIZED".

But actually, I would like them as a subfolder of the source directory. Is there a way to do this? :)

7. pran

pran Member

8. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

Re: Automator How-To's

Out of boredom, I tried to do organize my files using Automator. All of my favorite Tv Shows are automatically downloaded using Vuze. Aside from the actual video file, a lot of extra files are downloaded which I really don't need. I've set the Automator to filter those files and automatically move them to Trash. Simple yet keeps my HD clean from unnecessary files.

9. Bakamoo

Bakamoo Member

Re: Automator How-To's

Worth a try, I want it :)