audiobooks

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by shooter, Oct 2, 2005.

1. shooter

shooter Member

is there a workaround for me to transfer my audiobook which I have purchased before in cd audio format to my ipod but instead of it being placed under music, will be placed under the AUDIOBOOKS menu?

2. pmltoledo

pmltoledo Guest

i have the same problem here. i've lots of audio books which are included in my playlist, and the problem really is when i use the shuffle function of my ipod, the audio books are frequently played along with the other songs. this issue is considered in length at ilounge.com, in the forums section. i've read on some of the threads there, and they say you have to convert your audio books to aac format first, then rename the extensions to .m4b. another option is to get MarkAble, shareware, which converts mp3 audiobooks for use with the ipod's audiobook menu. i haven't tried these yet, so if anybody can help, it would be most welcome! :)

[Edited on 10.2.05 by pmltoledo]

3. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

have you tried creating smart playlists? include genre is not audiobook as one of the criteria. :cool:

4. webmikey

webmikey Member

For files to appear in the Audiobooks section of your ipod player (and for it to become bookmarkable) it should have the *.m4b file extension.

For Windows users, just rename the file from *.m4a to *.m4b . For Mac users you can download an iTunes script here.

5. pmltoledo

pmltoledo Guest

just read about certain glitches when converting mp3 audiobooks to *.m4b extensions, specifically those who own 4th gen ipods. In iLounge there have been a lot of instances wherein their ipods hang after playing an audiobook which they converted by themselves. Upto now, apple has not addressed the issue and worse, some who purchased the Harry Potter Collection are having similar problems. So i guess converting to *.m4b extensions (for it to be displayed in the audiobooks menu and for the audiobook to be 'bookmarkable') isn't worth the try for me as of this time. I'd settle for my audiobooks in mp3 format (and i suppose in itunes 5 bookmarking is already popssible) rather than having an ipod that hangs.

[Edited on 10.2.05 by pmltoledo]

6. shooter

shooter Member

any more ideas out there? :cool::sigh::sigh::cool:

7. tlc

tlc Member

I've done what quicksilver suggests and created a separate playlist for audiobook files.

pmtoledo, in iTunes theres an option where you can uncheck a file and it wont be played if in shuffle mode, however I don't have my iPod with me right now to see if thats possible when in shuffle mode on the iPod.

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by tlc]

8. shooter

shooter Member

@quicksilver
    @tlc

creating a playlist is easy :) but that would add another menu button. sayang kasi yun audiobooks menu eh :sigh::yes::yes::sigh: