Are premiere files cross-platform?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by mikaelrules, Aug 16, 2004.

1. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

We have recently started taking up Adobe Premiere in school, except the problem is that my school uses PC's. I was just wondering if I could do some work on my Mac at home then copy it over to the school's computer when I get here. Will the Windows version of Premiere open files created by the Mac version, and vice versa?

Thanks

BTW, the premiere version in question is 6.5

2. extremyks

extremyks Guest

Most likely it won't. Current standard editing software for the Mac right now is FCP and Adobe discontinued developing further version of Premiere on the Mac.

What you could do, is export the project into a single Quicktime or Microsoft AVI then just assemble it to which ever platform you'll end up.

DV's are more complicated than word processing. =)

[Edited on 8-16-2004 by extremyks]

3. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

Even though the version on the PC and the Mac is the same? (Both 6.5)

4. extremyks

extremyks Guest

Since most PC NLE cards uses different codecs and sometimes their own way of encoding those files somehow not all codecs are compatible when you import / export files cross-platform. Don't be surprise if it won't work. Say if you're using a Matrox or DV Storm which uses their own avi codecs, making it work on a Mac under Premiere is quite impossible.

Now if you got both versions why not try it, theoretically it would work since Quicktime is supported in both Windows and Mac.

Click here for some tips on how to do it.

Good Luck! :D

5. dude_funk

dude_funk Guest

I heard Adobe Premiere Pro is a _recent and current_ software development in the Adobe Premiere line?

I could be mistaken (which is highly likely) :) I've not really been watching out for Premiere news and stuff.

6. extremyks

extremyks Guest

Yap Premiere Pro is released on the Windows platform only. You must also check if your third party editing card is supported by it. Meaning the drivers are ready for Premiere Pro.

7. dude_funk

dude_funk Guest

Ah. Totally missed that detail of it being Windows-only. Probably a shame. I've heard that Adobe revamped the GUI to be more intuitive/user-friendly.

Thanks for the info extremyks :)