Are Class D amplifiers (Digital) worth it?

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by dr_prbc, May 11, 2019.

1. dr_prbc

dr_prbc Member

Good day guys! It's been a while since I last posted here in the forums. I just need your opinion regarding amplifiers.

So my almost 10+ years old pioneer VSX- D337 (1998 model) is starting to deteriorate on me. So I think it's time to upgrade. Searching the internet, I came across affordable (around 5-10K) amplifiers that caught my attention.

One unit that I saw was the SMSL AD18 which I found at one of our country's online retail stores. I saw several reviews regarding it and the reviews were good and at it's price of 7k, it's something that I'm really considering. I would just like to ask if anyone has this and what can you say about it?

I'm only running a pair of B&W DM600 S3 so I think the 80W x2 power of the SMSL will be able to drive the speakers well.

In any case, copied the specs of the said unit here for referenc
    • Channels:3 (2.1)
    • Maximum Power Per Channel:80W
    • Model Number:AD18
    • USB sampling rate:16bit:44.1kHz/192kHz, 24bit:4.1kHz/96kHz
    • HP amplifier chip:MAX97220A
    • Analog/digital convertor IC:CS5341
    • Output power:80W*2
    • THD+N:0.04%
    • Voltage:24V
    I hope we can have a fruitful discussion here before I actually get the unit.

2. legato

legato Member

I'm partial to Class D because of the minimal power draw and THD. Have 2 class D amps including the SMSL Q5 Pro which is the pre cursor to the model you're looking at. Use it together with a pair of bookshelf speakers (Q Acoustics QA3020) as a soundbar replacement. Just make sure speakers are efficient. They sound great!

Reviews I read before buying (like you) were spot on. =>

Only issue was the remote really sucks. Had to buy a bigger SMSL remote from aliexpress at $8 (which is standard on the AD18 I think).

3. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

I have used sub $50 Class-T amps and love them.