Application to prevent sleep when closing the Macbook?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by rafaelc378, May 5, 2008.

1. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I currently use Caffeine v1.0.2 to prevent the Screensaver & Sleep from activating while my MacBook is open.

Does anyone have an app they use or know of one that'll prevent Sleep from activating when I close the lid?

2. oliver_mac

oliver_mac Member

i think i have the same question. i don't want my wireless be disconnected while i close my macbook. coz sometimes i download huge file that i need to close my macbook then coming back later just to find out that network got disconnected and i have to start my download again!!!

so is there a setting or application for this?

3. filiusdei

filiusdei Member

i haven't come across anything like this. :) i think closing your macbook will always put it to sleep. it's a failsafe kind of thing ü

4. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

I've read somewhere (forgot the link) that if you force you macbook not to sleep if you close the lid will damage it. I'm not sure if its 100% accurate though :D

5. fish

fish Member

that's one thing for windows pc's, you can opt for it to not doing anything, sleep, hibernate, or shutdown - when you close the lid.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

so don't close the lid...

7. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, KisMAC has an option to not let the laptop go to sleep when the lid is closed, but it needs to be running.

8. pael

pael Well-Known Member

insomniaX works great for me. I enable it whenever I'm playing games or if I want to finish a download with the lid closed.

9. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@Gomi & pael,

Thanks! I'll check out both of those.

10. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

You will want to avoid doing this (having it run full time while the lid is closed). Even half-closed. Especially with the pro lines, the heat coming out of the keyboard will likely damage the screen.

This is a tip that came from an Apple trainer overseas who also happens to be a certified technician.

11. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I run iStat menus to give me the current temperature on various areas (CPU, Memory, Hard Disk, Enclosure etc) as well as smcFanControl to tweak the fan speeds at certain temperatures.

In an airconditioned environment the temps are collectively mid 40s and below. So I'll be fine for the most part.

I don't plan on keeping it closed without me near it nor alone by itself for extended periods of time. This is so I can do some work with the macbook running & downloading stuff without tempting me to use it.

12. tidus1203

tidus1203 Member

I am also using InsomniaX and best of all its free.

I normally use it say when I am downloading a huge file but I wanna keep the lid close... Just make sure its a well ventilated place with sufficient cooling as the computer might overheat if kept in a bag.

13. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

all these reasons for wanting to have it running while the lid is closed relate to some sort of downloading...
    i use jdownloader to manage my downloads... so that i can get on with it even after i have closed the lid and reopen it again.

if i want it going though, i leave the lid up then turn the screen down to lowest and leave it at that...

14. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

Does the lid have to be closed? I set my MB's display to sleep in 1 minute but my MB will still complete the downloads. No wi-fi disconnections either.

If my MB does go to sleep, all my downloads were completed already.

15. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I agree with @hitme64, don't close the lid. though there is an option in the System Preferences>Energy Saver. Set your computer to never go to sleep, and just set the display to sleep at your convenience.