Apple's Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by dominiquejames, Feb 9, 2010.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I've been fiddling with Aperture 3 and it didn't take long for me to be sold on the product. Brushes and Places are awesome.

2. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Sweet... loving Aperture 3 now with less klunky!

3. macmackie

macmackie Member

a bit OT: it's now been 3 days my aperture 3's being processed for clearance here in manila. i wonder what's taking them so long.

4. a8c8c8

a8c8c8 New Member

im also excited to get aperture 3. but local resellers don't have it yet, i visited digital hub rob place and they are still selling aperture 2. anyway, i've also downloaded the trial version and i love it, especially the adjustments-brushes. it's simple to use. aperture3 make it easy to edit my photos plus its affordable- 10,290 in apple store.ph. can't wait for it to be available locally... im a newbie mac user and aperture gives me more reasons to love mac.:eek:

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

See here:

Apple Online Store (delivery) horror
    Delayed package delivery from FEDEX

The second link refers to Fedex, not DHL but the common culprit seems to be Customs delay. Anyway, it's only been three days so be patient. Also, if your package arrived in Manila on Friday, it won't be processed completely because Customs go on vacation during weekends.

6. macbeth

macbeth Member

Same here. My Aperture is stuck in Customs. Sigh.

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i can't remember now what i ordered online--maybe it was snow leopard--but i didn't experience any excessive delays in its delivery (i do remember the humongous plastic bag that it was wrapped in. wasteful!) based on that painless experience, i ordered the same for my aperture upgrade. fingers crossed that pasig customs won't get in the way.

8. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I was opting for the boxed upgrade version too but I have "low EQ" I bought the downloadable one instead. How I'd wish there's a photo book in it I'd get the boxed version instantly. :D

Has anyone tried the library sync'ing yet? My libraries are still in a disarray I have to decide soon how to put them together in a way library sync fits my workflow.

9. macmackie

macmackie Member

Aperture 3 deleted my aperture 2 library. After upgrading my aperture 2 to 3, i opted to have aperture3 upgrade my exixting aperture2 library to 3. Along the way of it being upgraded, i received an error saying i can't use my external hd for my aperture3 library. next thing i know, i have no aperture library at all. i lost over 60gigs worth of pictures.

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm sorry to hear that macmackie :( Should have backup before migrating. Your HD may have file permission problems or some other reasons to cause the mishap. My migration from Aperture 2 to 3 was smooth but I guess the small size of my libraries was more manageable for Aperture 3.

Did you try to recover using Data recovery apps? Is it still in the Trash? I would think not but It's better to cover all possible options.

11. Sleepdoc

Sleepdoc Well-Known Member

12. athos11

athos11 Member

recently tried the trial version and it made my mac freeze!.. cant even force quit it. i have to press the power to switch off my mbp. :eek:

13. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Anybody experiencing Aperture "generating previews" then it get's stuck to around 1 or 2 images left then your Mac starts to lag and slow down then eventually grinding to a halt?

Adjusting Edge Sharpness then beachball then crash too?

14. macjerk

macjerk Member

I can't upload photos from the built in Facebook and Flickr uploader.

15. sdalcorn

sdalcorn Guest

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. I lost 30GB+ of data. The message was that the volume was of the wrong format (mine is FAT32 and worked perfectly fine on Aperture 2)

16. macmackie

macmackie Member

already sent a feedback re: aperture library deletion to apple. i bought around 5k worth of software (aperture3), please don't make me spend another around 5k worth of data recovery software just to recover the files (most of 'em not just mere pictures but fun memories) i didn't delete 'em in the first place. It's their 5k aperture3 software that deleted it, they should be the one to recover it.

I'd really like to be proven wrong but i just think apple is slipping slowly to (windows like) mediocrity. Please do prove me wrong.

#56 macmackie, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  17. macbeth

macbeth Member

Here's my review of APERTURE 3:

I got my Aperture 3 update yesterday and I'd like to thank some members of this forum who gave me heads up about the problems of Aperture 3 (importing, crashing, memory leaking, etc.)

Inside the box was a really thick manual, some hard pamphlets containing the keyboard shortcuts, license number, and some of the new features listed, and of course, the installation disc.

Prior to installation, I put my original Aperture Library to a separate folder so that the library won't automatically update once Aperture 3 is installed.

Installation was a breeze--about ten minutes since I already had Aperture 2.

There's an option in the disc to copy a sample library. I wanted to copy it to my MBP, however after seeing that it's about 7Gb, I cancelled the transfer.

I'm pretty familiar with the user interface of Aperture 2, so that's the first thing I noticed. The icons look more three-dimensional yet comical (cuter--for lack of better term).

Btw, I'm also an occasional Adobe Lightroom 2 user (and teacher), so I somehow am familiar with some of the Aperture-Lightroom pros and cons. I also tinkered with the LR 3 beta version, and the feature I liked best was the watermarking feature.

I digress--what is so nice about Aperture 3 is that I love the new icons at the top panel--which makes viewing and exporting easier. The iPhoto-ish section above the old Aperture 2 section in the left panel is also eye-catchy.

Now onto importing:

I learned from reading so many forums and websites that upgrading a large Aperture 2 library eats up a lot of space and tends to make many machines hang up.

I've been taking photos for 5 years, and in the last two years, majority of my photos are in RAW. Hence, my photo library is currently at 160Gb (about 1/3 of my MBP's storage space).

I thought it would be wise to just import projects one by one. I knew it would take longer to do this; however, it's also, what some people are saying, the best thing to do as Aperture 3 is still a bit buggy.

And so that I did. I selected my Aperture 2 Library which I set aside, then clicked Show Package Contents. Starting with my latest pics--from Hong Kong, the ones I haven't edited yet.

A 2 gigabyte project took about 7-10 mintues to import AND process under the FACES recognition AND build thumbnails and previews.

After the importing process, I tried the BRUSHES feature. I tried changing the saturation at some parts and I was impressed how easy it was--how it's so fluid, unlike the adjustment brush in Adobe Lightroom 2--where each change happens spot-by-spot. So using the brushes feels natural--and feels that I was really painting with a brush. (I thought of how cool it would be to finally get a pen/tablet--or how this could be even cooler if I could do it someday on an iPad).

I uploaded a few more projects and tried the FACES recognition and the PLACES mapping. The mapping was frustrating at first--as I read in some forums that the maps seem to be US-centric--it felt like that at first; however going through it the second and third time around, I thought that the process (of getting the correct GPS mapping) was actually fast. I also noticed how easier it was do than than in iPhoto.

One of the few of hiccups I experienced was when I tried a particular brush and Aperture quit unexpectedly.

Another thing was when I had to edit using a preset, Aperture has to restart in 32-bit mode. The editing was quite faster, I observed despite being in 32-bit mode.

And lastly, I tried opening the Aperture 3 Library and I saw that the organization was different. Unlike before that the projects are saved/arranged neatly and that the photos are stored in projects, the folders now contain the files themselves...which can be good for people who want to get the master photos immediately. But for me, it somewhat looked messier--but I also remembered, this was how Aperture 1.5 library was like before. I'm not sure why Aperture 3 organized the photos again this way.

In a nutshell, here's what I think of Aperture 3:

Admittedly, the new release is buggy, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. Though it's a bit discouraging to start with Aperture 3 being too careful with bugs and errors, especially for new customers or those who shifted from Lightroom, I think in the long run, Aperture 3 will really be the worthy successor that it should be.

The best features for me so far are actually the iPhoto's PLACES and FACES features integration, the user interface, full screen browsing, and, the cream of the crop, BRUSHES, which makes editing easier, faster and better.

18. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Good review, macbeth. I appreciate the details you put in (instead of merely saying, "Aperture 3 is great!").

So no deleted libraries, lost files, and system freezes so far? That sounds promising. If you have time, do share some more personal reviews of Aperture 3.

19. macbeth

macbeth Member

Yep, no deleted libraries as I did not upgrade any; no lost files so far; and, yeah, no system freezes.

I'll do more editing in the next few days. I'll try to share more insights.

20. macjerk

macjerk Member

I am still having problem uploading pictures using Facebook and Flickr. When I click the icons it just shows me the white box and nothing else. Anybody having the same experience?