Apple Watch Series 5

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Roman, Sep 11, 2019.

1. nuggets

nuggets Member

I'm planning to do scenario 1. But my question is, when i change my mom's (she'll bring home the AW) iphone's apple ID to mine, will it erase her iphone? Is it a simple procedure? How will it affect her iphone?

2. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

So even if my apple ID is registered to the US but I activate the watch here in the Philippines I still wont be able to activate the ECG feature on the phone?

3. ccjt

ccjt New Member

Thanks. Hahaha. Better safe than sorry. I can always change the password anyway. Thanks.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...just remove incriminating photos or messages, temporarily remove your banking apps and other sensitive apps. Then backup your iPhone to iCloud.

5. raypin

Mm...you need to activate or have the ECG activated on your Watch in the US or another ECG country preferably with your Apple ID (to be extra sure). My Apple ID has always been US since 2008 so App Store is US. I can't download certain local apps like Mcdo PH.

Going back, buying an Apple Watch in the US without activating ECG while it is still in the US and bringing it home and activating it in Manila even with an US Apple ID will not work since Watch OS 5.2. and iOS 12.2. Apple now requires geolocation based on your physical location as determined by not only the GPS on the iPhone but location data provided by a US sim card (or globe and smart sim on roaming works too). VPNs to spoof location will not work afaik.

gpo74 likes this.
  6. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the very detailed answer

7. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

I believe it ECG won't work if you activated your watch here in PH.

i bought an apple watch series 4 this year at HK apple store. activated here in the Philippines ECG didn't work.
    Went to Singapore upon arrival at the airport ECG worked right away. PH Account / Smart sim on roaming.

8. raypin

Mm....I plan to do just that, a day before I leave for HK. My ECG Series 4 will be unpaired from my Xs Max and paired with my niece's iPhone. Will post here if it works. The objective is to find out if the ECG will continue to work even if the Watch is paired with a different Apple ID in a different iPhone in a non-ECG country.

To answer your question, a simple pairing and unpairing of the Watch will only erase the data and settings of the Watch, with the iPhone untouched. If your mom inputs your Apple ID, she has to log off hers and that can present problems. It may merge your iCloud data with whatever data your mom leaves on her iPhone (contacts etc.). Messy.

If I succeed in pairing my ecg with my niece's iPhone, then the solution to your problem will be simple: ask your mom to pair your Watch Series 5 in the US using her iPhone and her Apple ID. Once she's back, unpair it from her iPhone and pair it with yours.

#148 raypin, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    jessec likes this.
  9. ccjt

ccjt New Member

I hope you won't mind me asking but when do you plan to do this? Hahaha. Sorry. Will probably receive mine by Tuesday. Hoping I can activate it at SG.

10. nuggets

nuggets Member

That's what I'm worried about. Don't want to mess up my account and hers.

I guess I'll just wait for your first hand experience when you do the other option. Hopefully before december since mom is leaving US by then. Thank you in advance.

11. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

Is eSim on an LTE version fully functional?

12. philip_v

philip_v New Member

Hi all. I’m planning to buy the Series 5 here through Power Mac. Is it possible to activate it here, then when I go to Hong Kong next month, reset the watch and activate it there so I could have ECG?

Will be using the same phone and same Apple ID (Philippine App Store).

13. raypin

Mm...doable. Backread the Watch Series 4 thread.

14. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Have you done yours already in HK @raypin ?

15. raypin

Mm...yup. Series 5 gps Aluminum 44 mm silver with white sportsband. ECG Activated with my iPhone 11 Pro Max Silver.

Decided against the more expensive Watch Series 5 models..........because I m going for Series 6 and iPhone 12 next year.

gusto ko laging bago. :LOL:

hitme64 and rdy0329 like this.
  16. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

no need to reset (Base on mu experience)

17. hitme64

Isn’t the prototype for Series 6 a round case, making it a true watch model then?

18. raypin

mm...doubtful....I love using the infograph watchface with 8 complications. How will Apple fit that in a round chassis?

19. hitme64

Maybe the same way Samsung did theirs.

raypin likes this.
  20. hitme64

^No luck finding the titanium AW edition in Virginia says my wife. The Apple Store in Richmond doesn’t even know if they have the ceramic model also. Just the same AW5 aluminum models with GPS+Cellular on display.