Apple Watch Series 5

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Roman, Sep 11, 2019.

1. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

using iTgc...

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...there’s one philmugger who purchased locally a series 4 and when he went to singapore (ecg country) he was able to activate ecg (globe roaming).

Roman likes this.
  3. loko__loko

yes and hk too..... but not sure upon coming back,if the ecg is still working or not..

4. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Copy. So it has to be activated in an ECG-activated country. Thanks, @raypin.

5. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

As per experience, once you have activated the ECG of your apple watch, you can then activate any succeeding AW with the same Apple ID.
    For my case, I was able to activate my US bought Series 4 last year here in Ph using a US Apple ID and a Globe iPhone XS Max.
    Last week, I bought a Series 5 from the US and ECG was still active while using the same Apple ID.
    The ECG function is also still functional after upgrading to an iPhone 11 Pro Max from Globe last friday.
    Hope this helps. (y)

6. raypin

Mm...do you remember the date in 2018 when you actìvated your series 4 ecg?

7. denpacs

8. raypin

Mm...okie....that’s also when I decided to buy the series 4 from Walmart and had it shipped here and activated here.

So, with the various posts here, it is also safe to say that once your Apple ID is associated with ECG eligibility, Apple notes that in your account and any subsequently purchased Apple Watch (2nd, 3rd etc) will also be ECG eligible even if activation of the 2nd, 3rd etc. Watch takes place in a non-ECG country and even if you pair it with a another iPhone for as long as it is the same Apple ID.

So, Apple checks ECG elibility based on physical location or based on previous ownership of an ECG-enabled Apple Watch.

#188 raypin, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    denpacs likes this.
  9. ratburn

ratburn Member

If I buy an  watch 5 in Canada, and activate it in the Philippines using a US Itunes account, will ECG work? Thank you!

10. raypin

Mm..I think that ship has sailed after Watch OS 5.2.1 when ECG activation was rolled out in Europe and in other ECG supported countries. Unless a Philmugger can confirm otherwise, post Watch OS 5.2.1 (we’re at 6 plus now), I would not recommend that route. If so: buy it in an ecg country and activate it or buy locally and when you travel in an ecg country, activate ecg (roaming smart or globe).

Scoured reddit.

#190 raypin, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  11. ratburn

ratburn Member

Thanks raypin!

12. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Can't wait to try the S5 coming from the S1. But I'll be waiting for my iPhone 11 Pro replacement to arrive so that I can unbox and set them up together Hopefully WatchOS 6.1 will be out by then.. #OCProblems

13. ccjt

ccjt New Member

I can't really confirm this but I'm still unsure. My friend from SG bought me one and had it activated using my Apple ID but a different iPhone before it was shipped here. Upon receiving it, the ECG was still working but I had to reset the watch since we can no longer unpair the watch from the iPhone used for activation. After resetting the watch, I can no longer activate the ECG even if I'm using the same Apple ID.

14. sibilly

sibilly Active Member

20032A19-71D6-4623-89E1-598A47296618.jpeg

Just got a new strap for my series 5, hope to activate the ecg when I visit Japan in Decemebr

15. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Lucky you. I have a SS series 4 purchased in the US and has never worked with my locally issued iphone XS max from Globe.

16. raypin

mm.....I can also confirm that pairing a Watch with different Apple I.D./different iPhone with an active ECG will disable the ECG. Message is ECG is not available in your area (PH).....so transferring ownership will render the ECG inactive again.

17. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Uh, why Japan? Just curious? I thought the ecg app is not available in Japan yet.

sibilly likes this.
  18. denpacs

I can confirm this.
    I gave my Series 4 (with functional ECG) to my wife last weekend and after restoring it to her backup, ECG isn't functional anymore. And she's using a Ph Apple ID.
    But, I will try to change the country of her Apple ID to US and will check if ECG will function. (y)

19. sibilly

sibilly Active Member

Aw man....just checked and it isn't available yet, I just assumed they already had it. They’re usually part of the first wave to get things from apple and I have a trip planned there for December

#199 sibilly, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  20. loko__loko

waiting for
    feedback