Apple Watch Series 4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by denpacs, Sep 13, 2018.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...slim chance: call the Ghills vendors and ask them if their HK-sourced Apple Watch Series 4 is ECG-activatable. Baka sakali lang.....

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

It shows up on my watch, but I have to be physically in HK to activate. SAD.

raypin likes this.
  3. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Hi RayPin! My S4 Is from HK unfortunately ECG Doesn't work here in PH :(

raypin likes this.
  4. wiretap

wiretap Member

Any update on this sir?

5. topaz

topaz Active Member

That's strange. My AW4 is from US and I was able to activate ECG here in PH using US Apple account; ECG still functional after upgrading to iOS12.2.

6. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Bought it from HK Apple store with firmware 5.1.X then upgraded it to 5.2 when i went back here in manila.

7. raypin

Mm...that is because Apple changed the activation protocol: from serial number-based to actual geolocation data based on data provided by the local simcard. In other words, lockdown implemented under iOS 12.2.

That means, you have to be in HK and use a local HK sim to activate ecg.

Looks like the lockdown is for real.

#567 raypin, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  8. gymilton

gymilton Member

I asked my wife to get me an Apple Watch Nike 4, and did the software upgrade here in Manila. When I had a stopover in HKIA on the way to Korea, activated the ECG function using my phone with Globe Sim on roaming and it worked.

mongkee and raypin like this.
  9. raypin

Mm...nice. So, it is confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that you need a local (to that country sim) to activate in the authorized country. In your case, Globe thru HK local roaming partner telco.

10. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

And when you're back home in Manila, will the ECG still continue to work? If another software update comes along (or whatever reason that will need to reset, re-pair and activate again) then bye-bye ECG?

11. gymilton

gymilton Member

Yes, its still working and I don't plan to immediately upgrade if there is new software.

mongkee likes this.
  12. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is the only thing I still regret about the AW4. No ECG for us Pinoys here. And considering the magnitude of heart problems we have here, i think this should’ve been a must for us. Now am considering getting a Withings watch just for its ECG feature.

raypin likes this.
  13. mac'd

mac'd Member

Hello! To clarify, if we buy Apple Watch S4 GPS version in US will ECG feature be available by the time we use it here locally? Thanks!

14. raypin

Mm...once ECG is activated in the US (paired with your iPhone there), the ECG remains activated even if you return home. Those of us who bought the Series 4 from the u.s. and activated ecg here in the PH, pre-lockdown, have been able to update to the latest iOS and Watch OS (with the new lockdown feature) with the ecg still functioning. It does not make sense for Apple to allow this to happen for us (pre-lockdown) owners to continue enjoying ecg and not allow the same for post-lockdown owners when the watch is used outside the usa.

So, from what I know, buy the usa or HK watch series 4 and activate it in the usa or hk and you ll still have ecg functionality once you go home to the PH.

Put another way, Apple checks your actual location only once and enables ecg.

15. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

curious - if i bought from US and activated here in PH, does this mean i can't activate it anymore? or when i go to a country that has it (e.g. HK) and try to activate it there, will it still work?

raypin likes this.
  16. raypin

Mm...if you bought the Watch in the US and activated ECG in the PH, no problem. But only prior to the newest iOS and Watch OS. The latest versions closed that loophole. If your currently activated Watch needs to be reinstalled/unpaired/re-paired with a new iPhone, I think that’s a no-no since you will have to go through the activation phase again and with the new lockdown in iOS/Watch OS (where actual location is verified through a simcard or a local simcard with a roaming partner in the ECG-authorized countries like the US, HK, Europe), I think you’ll end up with no ECG.

If you are just buying now, the only way to activate ECG is to be physically present in those authorized countries. After activation, you can be anywhere in the world and enjoy ECG. There are no known workarounds.

#576 raypin, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  17. BenG

BenG New Member

I have lost some weight, since having my Watch, so the bands that came with it became very loose.

I looked into it a little and read that they can adjust it at Hermès stores (I have the Apple Watch Hermes Stainless Steel case with Fauve Barenia Leather Single Tour Deployment Buckle).

Been to a couple of Hermès stores (in Vienna and London) and was told that they’re not willing to do it, as it will ruin the leather, as it gets wider as the band gets nearer the watch. If they punch a couple of holes, this may fray the leather.

Respect to Hermès for their pride in their products!

For the Sports band that came with it, unfortunately they don’t have the tools to do that in store. Shame for Apple for not including a smaller band for this exclusive Hermès Sports band.

18. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

so my current state is my watch is paired to my iPhone here in PH. do i need to unpair and re-pair when am roaming in "activated" countries to get ECG and irregular heartbeat features? or do i just need to activate features while there? :)

raypin likes this.
  19. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

too bad on your watch strap story ... but respect for the weight loss though! :)

20. raypin

Mm...its worth a try activating your US bought Watch Series 4 in other ecg authorized countries......why not. It is a possibility.

chris2x likes this.