Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Roman, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Apple Watch Series 3

Available in GPS or GPS + cellular options. I wonder when the GPS + cellular option be available (or will it ever be) here in the Philippines?

[​IMG]

2. wattleferdz

wattleferdz Active Member

I wonder how the LTE-enabled model will work? Am very interested with that model.

3. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

4. Jhun111jhun

Jhun111jhun New Member

same question, how will the lte watch 3 work here? it does require an Esim , does globe and smart has this Esim? It states that phone and watch will have the SAME number so siguro may monthly subscription to for linking your watch 3 to your phone number :)

5. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I would think Apple will have a say on how they'd sell this.

Apple: We give you iPhone X for your subscribers and by the time Apple Watch 3 Cellular hits your shores better be prepared to have ESim.

Apple still has a say on how these phones gets sold to customers, in a slight way.

6. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Our local carriers can't even get LTE on our phones right much less LTE on the Apple Watch.

7. textguru

textguru Member

curious about cellular models. Will there be additional SIM inserted on the watch? Upon peaking on the device (unit with red on crown), no SIM slot on the unit. Anyway, lets see how it goes

8. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Was curious about this as well. Here's what I found: The cellular-enabled Apple Watch has the SIM built in.

9. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

It’s called the e-SIM, guys, meaning embedded SIM. It’s programmable and reprogrammable. Great idea for watches, cars, and what have you. Probably even in Thor’s helmet. I’m astonished that telcos and manufacturers haven’t fully exploited this new technology till Apple went big and loud with it. Telcos I can understand because that e-SIM can’t be locked to their service.

10. yammie

yammie Member

the e-SIM is already embedded on the iPad with cellular (later models). it's up to you to activate it or use one of the carriers since it has an additional sim slot.

11. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

If the e-SIM can't be locked to the telcos service does it mean it can pair up to another SIM? For example I have an unlocked iPhone, when I go to another country and purchase a new SIM there, will the Apple Watch Series 3 recognize the new number I got?

12. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Theoretically, YES! But from my understanding, the phone's e-SIM will not automatically recognize or adapt the new number. I believe it requires the intervention of the carrier/telco to reprogram you watch's e-SIM to the new number.

13. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I think they overplayed the “freedom calls” slogan and might lead people to initially think this is now a stand-alone cellular device which it isn’t.

Albeit more powerful and a little more independent, it is still a companion to an iPhone.

In fact, in Apple’s tests disclaimers it is implying that you’ll still want this near your phone and that it should only be away from it a few hours a day like when you’re out for a run, swim or in the gym when your phone’s in the locker.

It is still a nice update but not as great as they hyped it to be.

14. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

Optus here in Australia started offering apple watch bundled with iPhone plans. From their FAQ I read that to use number sharing you need 3 things.

1. Compatible hardware (iPhone 6 up with iOS11) and Apple Watch 3 with cellular
    2. A mobile plan which supports number sharing
    3. Optus account. This will be used when activating number sharing in the Watch app in iPhone.

Initially, they’re offering the service for free for the 1st 6 months. 5 dollars a month thereafter and you can deactivate if you want.

loudsound likes this.
  15. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

In case I'll get the Apple Watch, I'll select the non-LTE version. The battery life is a concern for me in the long run.

OT, this is making it difficult to choose between the Vivoactive 3 and Apple Watch Series 3.

16. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Is there a non LTE version?

17. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Yep. Series 3 has the GPS or GPS + cellular option.

18. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

oh ok! I didnt know that thank you :)

Roman likes this.
  19. wattleferdz

wattleferdz Active Member

Same materials pa din ba ang ginamit sa externals ng series 3? Thanx.

20. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Externally, same materials. Red dot diff lang and thats for cellular versions.

Speaking of, we dont have it because 1. unreliable LTE signal here 2. Our carriers STILL doesn't support VoLTE! WTH.