Apple Watch Bands and Cases

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by leninmac, May 20, 2015.

1. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I tried cases before but after a while, I felt like the Apple watch lost its identity because of the case. I tried Spigen, thinner clip-on cases, then screen protector-only. Now I simply don't bother with cases anymore and just use it bare naked. It just feels more Apple-watchy that way.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Jon Ive said in an interview before his departure from Apple Inc. that the Apple Watch was meant to be “naked” and that a change of straps and bands was permissible given the ease of doing such a thing. But to cover the watch body itself with silicon or plastic was never its intention. Third party AW protectors were never acquiesced by Apple nor will they endorse or promote same. The Apple Watch was meant to be seen, and newer features have been made to make them impervious to cracks, scratches and dents, in particular, the stainless steel and titanium on the higher-end AWs.

3. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I was briefly tempted to protect my Apple Watch (first gen) before with a case and screen protector, but quickly decided against it. My thinking:

Watches, in general, are meant to be worn (and seen) naked. Otherwise, there would be screen protectors and cases for Rolexes, Patek Philippes, Audemars Piguets, Nomos, Oris, even Seikos, etc. Given their relative value and overall longer useful life compared to Apple Watches and smart watches in general, these deserve to be all the more protected and yet they are worn naked in all their handsome glory.

P.S. Besides, I have yet to see a silicon, plastic or rubber case that, to me, looked at the very least as good as a naked Apple Watch, if not better.

extremeshot and hitme64 like this.
  4. mojacko

mojacko Member

Thanks guys. At the end of the day, you do you. Cheers!

Roman likes this.
  5. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

6. jeanallen

jeanallen New Member

Still looking for a better case. Sadly i’m the type of person where I would sell my gadget if there’s a single scratch on the screen. Thats how OC I am :( i don't know why I’m like this :(

7. mree

mree Well-Known Member

If you're the type of person who sells your gadgets when or before you buy a new one, then you'll most likely end up really protecting your gadgets to a point that you want to preserve its newness to get the most value by the time you sell it. There's nothing wrong with putting a case on, hoping it would protect your AW from scratches.

If I wasn't gifted cases for my AW, then mine would most likely be naked and would still have the original band the AW came with. Now, I enjoy mixing and matching the bands and cases. What I appreciate the most about having a case is I don't have to think about the band connectors not matching the color of my watch.

I don't think adding a case makes it look less of an AW, just because the shape of the watch itself is a dead giveaway that it's an AW.

8. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

same but I became to accept it gives character or uniqueness.. every scar tells a story :)

9. jeanallen

jeanallen New Member

hahaha! I hope I can be like that in the future :D

I finally found a case that made my watch looks even better. It's called Rhinoshield crashguard, I also added Spigen Neoflex screen protector and it really looks great. You can hardly see the screen protector :D. here's a photo of my watch
    . 2020_02_06_15_54_IMG_4660.JPG

hitme64 likes this.
  10. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Currently using these for me & my wife. Case has tempered glass on it already. So far, no bubbles observed. (y)

130C8540-AECC-460F-A00B-59BE69360926.jpeg

A7681F5B-07FC-4031-902A-C1E8D2CE2DED.jpeg

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I hardly ever notice now the scratch on my AW5. Often it is imperceptible unless it’s under the sun. I actually tried a face protector that I gave my wife but it wasn’t really good to look at. Besides it gives out these rainbow colors and obscures the face when I am running/walking. So it’s still no protector for me. The scratch just adds to its mystique.