Apple TV+

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Dekra, Oct 8, 2019.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...the launch shows are okay.....at the very least, no stinkers. Too early to judge Apple TV Plus.

I am looking forward to the Spielberg content......Amazing Stories.....and, as a huge fan of Band of Brothers and The Pacific, I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of Masters of the Air, another WWII mini-series.

macxchange and macjobber like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

This one will give us the creeps. From M. Night Shyamalan so it'll be Sixth Sense with The Visit thrown in. Or if you prefer, Rosemary's Baby.

Coming November 28.

raypin likes this.
  3. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

I thought this was a movie. Found out that it's a 30-minute 10 episode series. Concept may be stretched out too thin though, will wait for the reviews.

4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Muggers with US iTunes accounts, how are you paying for Apple TV+? Are you using the iTunes gift card route or are there other alternatives like a virtual credit card with a US address?

5. raypin

Mm...been using iTunes gift card since 2008. This is my current go-to for hulu, sling tv, hbo now and iTunes gift cards:

https://www.mygiftcardsupply.com/

purchase done through paypal and codes are emailed in a matter of minutes. Amazon sells at face value.

#45 raypin, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    lamski likes this.
  6. hitme64

Took time to watch all 4 episodes of See in a better TV setup, this one in 4K and Dolby Atmos.

The dystopian world is bleakly gray and the blood is, too. That Battle of the Blind was an eye-opener (really). Fighting through touch and smell and possibly sixth sense can be grueling. No wonder being born into this world is already a burden for the surviving tribes like the Alkenny. And that prayer time with Queen Kane is actually it’s most funny moment. But watch it so I don’t have to explain.

raypin likes this.
  7. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Just activated our free subscription. Watched ep 1 of for all mankind, with the family. We all liked it, looks good. I hope it stays the course.

wife & I tried the morning show. 20mins in we just gave up, on all the talking might give it another go this weekend.

raypin likes this.
  8. hitme64

^Oplan “Talk Lang” all the time, right? (n)

Theus likes this.
  9. hitme64

See Episode 5 delivers a stunning revelation. Those watching this, and still do, will see that twist in the end. The precious episodes were dragging and maligned for more talking than action. Maybe it was because they were pinging it to this episode’s finale.

Jason Momoa aka Baba Voss seems to have taken a backseat in favor of his fiery wife Maghra, who has more skeletons in the closet than Queen Kane. Their twisting fates remind me of the comedy Trading Places. That’s what happened now to them.

Watch it. It’s better than that drivel Morning Show.

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m kind of in a limbo now activating my free 1-year subscription using my mint purchased MBA. It doesn’t conveniently show the free sub in the Apple TV app like everybody had here so I reached out to an Apple CS to try to sort it out. I bought my MBA from a new branch of The Loop here in my town. Of course knowing PowerMac is an authorized center I assumed it’d be a breeze. Turns out their new branch doesn’t show up in Apple’s authorized reseller page and the CS tagged my MBA as sort of grey market item. I reached out to the staff I bought this from and it’s been two weeks and all they tell me is they are authorized resellers not knowing the intricacies of invoice/receipt validation of Apple.

The CS still have an active service ID for my predicament but I’m not sure if this gets resolved without action from the ‘helpful’ PowerMac staff (not sure if the Manila guys even had the interest to sort this out).

sigh...although I may not be missing much :p

raypin likes this.
  11. raypin

12. bacchus_3

yeah, everything is registered fine online for my MBA. Shows warranty up to Nov 2020 but the Apple CS had to ask for the invoice and just stopped there. It was clear in Apple’s promos that only purchases from authorized resellers are eligible. Disappointing I don’t hear any effort from PMC to fix it.

raypin likes this.
  13. bacchus_3

^^ BTW, have tried the same steps online too that’s why I called Apple to check if it was their system that’s at fault.

14. hitme64

See is almost over and done for the season. What next? Netflix and Amazon Prime are looming the holiday season with better viewing fare and for Apple TV+ to catch up they must pull up a lineup of shows to rival the two streaming giants (not to mention Disney+ and HBO).

15. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

To those who availed their free 1 year Apple TV+ subscription, did you use your PH iTunes account or US iTunes account?

16. raypin

Mm...I used my US account (my one and only account since 2008). Shoudn't matter because Apple TV+ is all original content. No licensing conflicts based on territory. Every subscriber gets to watch the same content.

#56 raypin, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Dekra likes this.
  17. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple has one year to fix and enhance their lineup. They are basically giving the subscription for free for all those new purchases, and judging by the numbers, these include millions of people globally. November next year will be the critical period since that will be the time subscribers will decide if they want to continue or not.

18. raypin

Mm....with HBO, Warner etc. waiting in the wings, the leaderboard as of now:

1. Netflix
    2. Amazon Prime Video
    3. Disney +
    4. Apple TV +

For Apple + to gain from 4 to 3, Apple needs to bundle Apple+ with its other subscription services ..like Apple Music and Apple Arcade. Make AppleTV + more sticky. In other words, Apple should take a page out of Amazon's playbook (Amazon Prime membership includes Amazon Prime Video at xx dollars a year)......you can play, you can watch and you can listen....that's the real and formidable selling point.

Also, Apple should continue the free 1 year for every new iPhone, Mac etc. beyond September 2020.

In time, as its content library expands, it becomes easier and easier to convert trial subscribers to paying subscribers.

Apple can do the bundling. Disney + can't.

Meanwhile, Netflix continues with its extraordinary cash burn.....it needs more and more money to fund its content expansion......by borrowing. Utang on top of utang on top of utang. In time, Netflix will have its day of reckoning and face bankruptcy.

#58 raypin, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019