Apple TV+

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Dekra, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

raypin likes this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....I think Apple can catch up pretty quick. Every iPhone, Apple TV, iPod Touch, iPad or Mac sold since the Sept event will get one year of free subscription, activated when service launches November. So, a year from now, you are looking at more than 200 million user base, far bigger than Netflix. The trick for Apple is to turn those subscribers into paying customers. At 5 dollars a month (I expect lower prices for markets such as ours), it is not a tall order.

Apple is spending billions to build up its content. It will take years before Apple can catch up with the market leaders but don't underestimate Apple. Just look at Apple Music.....from zero subscriber to 60 million paying customers in a little over 3 years from launch.

As it is, Apple TV + is not going to ve an alternative to Netflix but at such a low price, it makes a compelling value as an add-on service to Netflix or Amazon Prime.

3. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

If I am not mistaken, the price per month in India is USD1.50 only. I hope that the price will stabilize for PH, too. However, PhP300/mo is "just" two large milk tea orders per month, right? (or 2 Starbucks Venti drinks).

 TV+ will not be enough to go against Netflix. However,  TV+ + Disney+, now these two might give Netflix a good fight.

raypin likes this.
  4. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

No need to guess how much. Apple PH lists it on their website at ₱249 a month.

raypin likes this.
  5. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

It's a good thing they're offering it for free for the first year because the initial offer will have just 5 TV shows. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Pretty pathetic. No ones going to pay USD5 for 5 TV shows. Compare that to Disney + which owns several IPs ( Disney, Marvel Entertainment, Pixar, Lucas films, Fox, etc. ).Apple TV plus is in a bit of challenge here because they really don't own any existing properties. They really need to invest on content to be competitive. And they can.

raypin likes this.
  6. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

7. leninmac

8. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

The early reviews for the new series are out. So far, “For All Mankind” and “Dickinson” are getting good reviews, while “See” and “Morning Show” are getting the thumbs down. But with such limited content on launch day, we’ll probably watch everything anyway and decide for ourselves.

hitme64 likes this.
  9. raypin

Mm...with one year free, I have one year to decide.

10. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

Will there be geographical restrictions? I have a US itunes account will that mean I can access US content just like the regular itunes?

11. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

How do you get the 1 year free?

12. raypin

bowser and bugs like this.
  13. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

raypin likes this.
  14. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    what if I get a new iPhone and then a new MBA and a new AppleTV? Will that be equivalent to 3 years free subscription? :ROFLMAO:

15. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

I think not. It says regardless of number of devices purchased, only one offer per family. And the subscription will start after you enter your Apple ID on the newly bought device in the Apple TV app.

Mykolant likes this.
  16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I subscribed for one month to Apple TV+ here in Virginia for a look-see, and surprise to say this, didn’t like the current offerings. The Morning Show is too heavy in drama or trying to be one and it doesn’t click that much. See is something I want to un-see because it lacks empathy and development and focuses more on CGI and visual effects rather than the plot. Our in-laws chose to watch HBO instead and Tuesday Football, but I watched Watchmen all by my lone self. It surprises me that they have actually 11 cable offerings and nearly 800+ channels and yet have not even seen or viewed most of them. And now there’s a twelfth aka Apple TV+.

17. raypin

mm..per Apple, the offer is only one free subscription per family. Since you are going to use the same Apple ID for all your Apple devices, it is not possible to have more than one year free subscription. Each subscription can be used by up to 5 family members (users).

You can stagger your device purchases and for as long as those devices are purchased within the promo period (unknown deadline) and within the 3 month time limit from purchase to redeem and for as long as each subscription is activated with a different Apple ID, then you can technically extend the free apple tv plus subscription.

Mykolant likes this.
  18. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Yey! Just got my FREE Apple TV+. (y)

25C11752-ACF2-48A5-A390-6FAD8F288977.png

19. leninmac

20. raypin

Mm..just activated Apple TV+ on my eligible iPhone 11 Pro Max here in Makati using Getflix vpn (PH launch tomorrow). After that, fired up my Apple TV 4K. No extra steps. It is there. No issues.

I like the picture in picture mode so you can browse while watching a show and then add next show to watch.

Shows are in HD (same as any other streaming service) and a dokyu about f....elephants (I have an aversion to elephants) is in 4K.

#20 raypin, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    leninmac likes this.