Apple TV and Netflix in the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by helloluis, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joogieman

joogieman Member

2. mackulit

mackulit Member

I have been trying to connect ATV to the VPN as well. It seems that there are only 2 options - Internet sharing from the mac to ATV using ethernet or by setting up your WIFI router to enable VPN with DD-WRT, requires router flashing.

I tried the internet sharing but instead of to ethernet, to wifi but it was not working. Not sure if it was due to Yosemite. I have not decided yet to flash my router as it maybe risky.

I ended up just mirroring my iPad to ATV. Please let me know if you have other suggestions.

3. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

4. jbfirefly

jbfirefly Active Member

Try using Playmo.tv VPN. I have been using this for my ATV. Just enter the DNS on the ATV's settings and you are good to go. Instructions on how to set it are available in their website.

5. krislee

krislee New Member

Thanks jbfirefly. Will try Playmo.tv VPN later. Just checked that they have a free trial for this.

I'm currently using ExpressVPN although their SmartDNS is not working for me. Had to use Airplay from my iPad to stream Netflix to the ATV.

6. peds

peds Member

This is getting frustrating. I've tried most DNS/VPN services for netflix and hulu but sometimes I get cutoff from the stream. My internet does not disconnect it just switches to low res then cut offs. The apple tv is the only device connected to the network at this time. Not sure if it is pldt fibr throttling the connection or something else. Anyone with PLDT Fibr that has better luck than me?

Edit:

streaming on my pc doesnt seem to have any issues. Is it possible the apple tv cant keep a stream up?

Netflix benchmark (http://www.wired.com/2014/06/netflix-streaming-test/)
    Benchmark movie:
    http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70136810&trkid=497045

The results from my pc were fine
    [​IMG]

#106 peds, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

No problems here. I'm on Fibr and Apple TV streaming Netflix and Hulu. What router are you using? Can you check the speed of your ATV connection to your router?

8. peds

peds Member

I'm guessing it's the router. I'm using this crappy edimax (supports wireless N) router i found at home since my old one died over the weekend and the asus 87u isn't on stock anywhere. Would you know how to check ATV connection speed to my router? Did a quick search online and didn't find a guide. I'm fairly new to this ATV thing since I got this over the weekend as well. Could you share your DNS/vpn provider?

9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm using the Apple Airport Extreme which only indicates the data rate connection of each device connected to the router. In my case the ATV has 65MBPs data rate. I'm not sure if there's an app to check your connection. As for the DNS provider, I have StrongDNS and StrongVPN. I use StrongDNS for Netflix and Hulu(Amazon on XBOX One).

10. DevD

DevD New Member

I'm using Getflix re-routing service instead of VPN, its much faster. My router is Airport Extreme and my ISP is PLDT with 10mbps plan. So far so good.

11. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

12. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

13. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

That's good news, but at the same time, frightening. We don't know yet how our government will react or if the local TV network conglomerates would see this as healthy competition or otherwise. CATV/DTH providers in particular will take the brunt of it, I imagine. Even telcos, anticipating the likelyhood of a higher overall internet bandwidth usage might start monetizing heavy streamers or offer streaming plans and even data caps.

It happened to Canada (though, which has just recently been resolved), so the fight can be potentially worse here.

14. emquizon

emquizon New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been going thru this thread and I can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

I'm able to watch Netflix and Hulu+ on my ipad via a playmo.tv account.

Thinking of buying an Apple TV so I can watch Netflix properly on a TV. But, when I visited Switch to check one out. I noticed that the AppleTv interface does not have Netflix nor Hulu installed. Seems there's no way to install them.

How are you guys able to do it? Also what TV brand works well with an Apple TV?

15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^ a US iTunes acct will have Hulu & Netflix. Any TV with HDMI will do.

16. emquizon

emquizon New Member

Forgive my ignorance. When I use my US itunes account, both Netflix and Hulu appear on the home screen?

17. chizbol

chizbol Member

Yes it will appear there

18. emquizon

emquizon New Member

Got it. Thanks!

19. Paulo del Puerto

Netflix is now available in the Philippines!!

Attached Files:

20. Simbadda

Simbadda Active Member

^^ I hope the Philippine library is at least decent compared to the US one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.