Apple Remote Desktop 3

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by dominiquejames, May 21, 2007.

1. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Hey guys,

Anyone out there using Apple Remote Desktop 3? Can you please share your experiences? Thanks!

[​IMG]

Dominique James

#1 dominiquejames, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

I'm using it DJ... very helpful app. Especially if you have more than 2 machines to look after.

3. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

I use it to manage over 40 Macs here in the office.

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

Same as marvinp, although I haven't taken full advantage of it the way I should. It's an excellent solution for managing multiple Macs.

5. brain1976

brain1976 Member

It's much better than ARD 2. The biggest improvement is added controls on the Xserve and Mac OS X Server software. It gives more detailed reports now and it's still just as easy to use. Not to mention it keeps track of all the commands and stuff you've been doing on ARD 3.

6. keyboardstyli

keyboardstyli Active Member

Anybody using Apple Remote Desktop (any version) for Internet Cafe use as an Internet Timer because there doesn't seem to be a lot available (if any, found one only online though) for the Mac platform (btw, there's lots available for the PC)?

I mean, if you're going to administer a lot of Macs.. does it make sense to use this as an Internet Access Timer for each Mac on the network also, double-purpose right?

I'm looking for one, and does it seem that it's the best bet indeed for the job also? Instead of getting a dedicated Internet Timer software for the Mac/PC Network?

Any ideas & feedback would be much appreciated of course, thanks.

7. dominiquejames

I'm trying out ARD. I'm administering 8 Macs at the moment, and it's awesome! It's like playing god. Hehehe! So this is how administrators actually feel. Hmmm ... Interesting. Anyway, you guys are right, ARD is quite easy to use. One quick pass at the manual, and more or less, you can make things all work together. I have a feeling that, very much like most of the Mac software, underneath the ease of use, are more sophisticated features waiting to be discovered.

#7 dominiquejames, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  8. keyboardstyli

keyboardstyli Active Member

Hehe.. birds eye view & point of view combined using ARD=total control! :p

But other than the obvious purpose of ARD, and I haven't used it yet of course.. does it show or have that basic thing i.e. like a timer for how long each Mac has been on the network and online also?

Because I'm seriously considering getting ARD for both purposes rather than just get an Internet Cafe Timer for a Mac/PC Network, if indeed ARD does have that very simple capability to time the log-in/out of each user on the network and would have a report on that as well.

Feedback is much appreciated, thanks. :)

9. noweev

noweev Member

I'm a newbie at Macs... is Apple Remote Desktop built-in to OS X? Or do I have to purchase this seperately?

TIA :)

10. dominiquejames

You have to purchase ARD 3 separately.

11. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Only the client is built-in to OS X.

12. noweev

noweev Member

Alright, thanks! :)

13. dominiquejames

Any tips guys on how you use ARD 3?

14. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

I basically use it to install Apple updates over the network. No need to get up from my seat and go to each individual desktop/laptop. Another feature I always use is the hardware and software reports so I have an up-to-date record of every Mac in the office (specs and sofware installed).

15. scuba_holic

scuba_holic Member

Makati - Calamba and everywhere inbetween
    Has anyone tried to connect to multiple macs over the internet? Or can you only connect to a single computer?

On another note, ARD is a great way to "Spook" the new employees who don't know about the program. I had one employee who thought the computer was possessed! Galit na galit siya sa akin when he found out about the remote access. hehehe