apple releases airport software update, firmware updates addressing superdrive noise

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by bhoyetjumpay, Dec 9, 2009.

1. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

Apple today (09 Dec '09) released four software updates, one AirPort client update targeting Snow Leopard users and three firmware updates addressing optical disk drive noise on a number of the company's computers.

- AirPort Client Update 2009-002 (12.95 MB) addresses several issues experienced by users of Mac OS X Snow Leopard related to wireless networking.
    This update is recommended for all Macintosh computers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and includes fixes for the following:

- Inability to turn AirPort on or off in some cases after upgrading from Mac OS X Leopard
    - An occasional loss of network connection when using Wake on Demand
    - Inability to create a computer-to-computer network, or share the Internet connection on some MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini computers

- Individual firmware updates for the MacBook (MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4, 3.14 MB) and MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.8, 3.36 MB) work with the separate SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0 (18.35 MB) to address optical disk drive noises on Apple computers.

This update will eliminate the noise made by the optical disk drive during system startup and wake from sleep on your Mac. This update works with the following EFI updates:

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4
    Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2
    MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4
    MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.8

Full details on the SuperDrive firmware update are available in the associated support document. The update was previously offered in association with the August release of Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2, and iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4 was released in May.

2. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

Re: apple releases airport

thanks for the heads up bhoyet, how's the 2x2gb mem?

3. bhoyetjumpay

Re: apple releases airport

OT: hi, trigo, awaiting the replacement from kingston;)

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Re: apple releases airport software update, firmware updates addressing superdrive no

The presence of Firmware Restoration Cds is not very reassuring. To what noise is this referring? Is this the brief motor/gear sound when you touch the trackpad after a long idle period?

Checked mine and it is up to date.

#4 Mad Mac, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Re: apple releases airport software update, firmware updates addressing superdrive

Kindly guide me I already downloaded the Airport software update.

But on the other hand the update for the superdrive for MBP fixing the noise when starting up I hesitate to install because when click install there is pop window warning telling this update was not need by my MBP .

Can anyone why is my system telling me this since it was an update from apple.

I haven't intall any regarding updates for my superdrive.

Thanks in advance :)

6. justinferreros

^ i think this is for intel macs? not sure though.

7. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

Updated!

Weird when I opened the lid of my MacBook from sleep.

The superdrive DID use to make this sound - the same sound it makes when you eject a CD. I got so used to that sound that when it didn't sound off, I had to double check if my MacBook really woke up from sleep! hahaha :lol:

8. bhoyetjumpay

same with my unibody macbook, when i woke up my mac from sleep mode, i heard sound that i usually heard.

9. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

firmware updates addressing superdrive noise

In my case, the noise coming from the superdrive was remedied by this update. Now, when the computer wakes up, it is as silent as promised.

10. suigeneris

suigeneris Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's just me, but i never really experienced the superdrive sound on Moby when I open it or wake it up from sleep. Mine is a 13" MBP mid 2009. Got it about three weeks ago if i'm not mistaken.

11. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

Re: firmware updates addressing superdrive noise

same with me. there is a significant noise when coming from sleep or turning on/off my mbp. it is now silent. my question now is that, is this also working to those third party hard disk?

12. bhoyetjumpay

Re: apple releases airport software update, firmware updates addressing superdrive no

the 13" unibody macbook pro doesn't have sound when you wake up from sleep mode. i knew that because i have both the 13" unibody macbook and macbook pro

13. whipper25

whipper25 Member

Re: apple releases airport software update,...

I have a 15" MBP (mid 2009) and i do get that superdrive sound when I boot up. I don't get it waking up from sleep however.

And my software update doesn't list the fix as an update. I did get the other updates though.

14. bhoyetjumpay

just an update, after i've checked installed software under system preferences, i've not yet installed superdrive firmware update, i thought it was included in the software updates yesterday, so i run software update and i got superdrive firmware update, after installing no more sounds after waking up from sleep mode:p

so guys, check your software update

15. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

so the noise came from the superdrive.?

16. bhoyetjumpay

yes, when i upgraded my superdrive firmware the sounds disappear:D

17. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

it sometimes still makes the noise from a cold boot, parang just to check if there is a bootable cd in the drive, but not when waking up from sleep anymore (presumably because you don't need to boot up from wake mode)

18. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

i am used of that ticking noise when coming from sleep, restart or turning off. for me, its alright to have this as i feel that it is quite a good indicator that your system still reads your superdrive. btw, i want to clarify things up, the noise is coming from the superdrive and not from the HD?

19. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

as for the sound in my superdrive, i also got used to it, even after reading all the complaints of other users about it - i didn't realize i was experiencing the same thing. LOL.

i still have issues with my airport detecting wifi properly even after the update.

20. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

aw! really? i'm also have some problems with my airport detecting network also.