Apple Rechargeable Battery problem

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Adel, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

I bought an Apple-branded set of rechargeable AA batteries with included charger a couple of years ago, and it's served me faithfully. At least until now.

I use them for my Apple BT Keyboard, Apple BT Trackpad and Apple Magic Mouse. While the batteries on my Keyboard and Mouse can last for months without recharging, I've noticed the batteries of my Trackpad required charging more often (which they should; I use the Trackpad the most, and I understand it's sort of a power hog), but lately it's gotten to the point where I have to charge it every week or so, from every six or seven weeks before.

It's becoming a pain now. I charged the Trackpad's batteries on Jan. 1, but now, on the 8th, it's telling me it's down to below 20% again and is asking to be recharged.

It might be stupid to ask this, but do they really degenerate this much? I was expecting a few more years of service from them (well, at least for the Trackpad batteries—the Keyboard and Mouse ones are still really good).

Maybe I have a messed-up Trackpad?

#1 Adel, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Try using alkaline batteries for your trackpad and see if it will last longer than a week just to rule out your trackpad as the culprit. If it's not the trackpad then its definitely the batteries. And I guess they would degenerate faster than the mouse's and keyboard's batteries because you charge them every couple of weeks vs every couple of months for the other 2 peripherals.

3. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

I have learned to expect degradation from my rechargeable batteries and maybe they are indeed on its life end after years of service, Maybe you can switch them with your KB batteries and see how they compare?

I bought a Magic Mouse along with a Macbook 35 months ago and since it has extended AppleCare, Apple replaced my MM with a new one a month shy of the end of the warranty period. If you bought yours with any Mac, maybe there would be a chance that Apple would give you a new pair :)

4. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

@Adel

I feel you. Even though these batteries are "rechargeable", they still have a lifespan. The ones which you charge/discharge more, would have a shorter life. - in this case, your Trackpad's.

With that issue you've got, you're still doing a lot better than me. - I'm using a Logitech G700 mouse... and guess what - I have to replace batteries like every 8 hours. lol - and Im not even gaming. That's just for normal computing.

so your 8 days is just my 8 hours :)

5. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I feel for you too, guy. :(

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yep, that's normal for a rechargeable battery. If it has served you for more than 2 years they have served you well. I've only used rechargeable batteries on my BT mouse since it's been cheaper to buy alkaline batteries that have stronger and better charge over any rechargeable batts I've used (for camera flash units, remote triggers and BT keyboards)

7. chaddictMac

chaddictMac Member

After two years, the same thing happened to my batteries.. That is why I bought a new one. I was looking for eneloop batteries last week but it.'s hard to find.

8. cybersniper

^There are sellers of Eneloop batteries at TipidPC.com

9. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Sanyo Eneloop at CDR King CDR KING
    [​IMG]

even the CDR King Batteries have good reviews here at the PhiMug CDR King thread. I have a few of them and they are ok

10. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Will these recharge with the Apple charger that came with my batteries?

11. cybersniper

Absolutely! or any other AA Battery charger for that matter.

You do know that Apple Batteries are rebranded Eneloops right? :)

12. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Just making sure.

13. chaddictMac

chaddictMac Member

Yes tried asking cdr king outlets near my area but out of stock ehehe and yes apple batteries are rebranded eneloops ü

14. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

I tried their chat helpline to find a store with an item I wanted. They use yahoo chat if I can remember.

15. chaddictMac

chaddictMac Member

Thanks! Good to know abt that @650h2

16. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....I use Sanyo eneloops 1800 mah but the charger is a different brand (both purchased from DIY(Robinson's). I was told that you need to match the charger with the rechargeable battery. It is not universal. Inquire with the vendor first or you might end up damaging your batteries and/or charger.

17. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Eneloops will charge on any charger but stay away from fast chargers that make the batteries HOT. Batteries give off as heat any charge they can no longer accept (when they are fully charged).

I have been using rechargeable batteries for a long time and there was even a time I would computer match battery characteristics when I still had an RC Hobby Shop in Virra Mall. matched batteries discharge at the same rate as the rest of the battery in the group.

Slow discharge batteries (with higher internal resistance) would benefit from slow chargers that charge maybe in 3 , 6 or 8 hours. Slow chargers will prolong the life of these slow discharge batteries ( like the eneloops).

Cheap chargers have dumb battery charge detection which results in hot batteries at the end of the charge cycle. Smart chargers have better/more sensitive DELTA or peak voltage detection and cuts charging when the voltage starts dropping after this peak voltage point. Smarter chargers also have false peak detection in the beginning and middle of the charge cycle.

My best charger is still a 10 year old plus Sony charger that has a regular and slow charge mode.

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm......thanks for the info. Battery geek ka pala! Lol! I ll keep that in mind next time I buy another set for my battery-hungry gadgets. I use a battery charger with an led status light (red, green, off) and unplug it as soon as the eneloops are fully charged.

19. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

Just got myself a set of Eneloop batteries from TipidPC. Going to use it for my Razer Orochi, hehe.

20. shiznit

shiznit Member

Reviving this thread...

Anybody here still uses their apple AA battery chargers? Thanks.