Apple pushes MobileMe surprise to XP

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by pengski, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

and why do they do that?

2. ronvil

ronvil New Member

3. goriou812

goriou812 Member

part of apples grand plan to one day rule the world perhaps:cool:

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

That's bad. They should always ask for user's permission.

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

Hehe, This sort of thing doesn't happen to us Mac users. Does it mean to say that Apple is more respectful to us? Or is it that it's harder to sneak software in OS X than in Windows?

To me, much ado about nothing. Let them PC users put up a stink.

6. templar88

templar88 Member

I don't know what the big fuss is about. Apple has the right to compete with other Windows services. If the customers don't want MobileMe, they don't have to subscribe to it. Plain and simple. I just hope PC users get used to the fact that Apple wants to expand to other markets.

7. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

MS should retaliate and include this in the next update for MS office for Mac:

[​IMG]

there will be nothing more annoying than the intrusive paper clip for MS office...

i am so glad that office for mac does not have it.

8. raypin

its the principle of the thing.

By bundling Mobile me into iTunes 7.7 and
    not informing the user throught the EULA that
    a new service or software is being installed,
    it clearly violates the right of the consumer to
    make an informed choice.

I don't mind in partaking a bottle of wine offered
    by a stranger so long as I know what's in it.

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

well, if stopbadware.org has not made a formal review, then who are we to make pronouncements?

that said, however, allow me to hypothesize beyond the obvious.

i postulate that the applet is nothing more than a plug-in or add-on. think of it as microsoft's active sync, an extension or helper application that allows phones/devices to sync with outlook. in this case, the mobileme applet is an itunes helper app that allows iphones to sync with outlook.

had the applet been named "hotsync" or something innocuous, no one would've ranted. people are jumping to conclusions because they think of mobileme as a completely separate service--which it is to a certain extent. but all the applet does is sync to two data stores: 1) local (i.e., outlook), and 2) a remote data store (mobile me!). my point is: it is the same sync helper app, but people are dwelling on mobileme!

i'm no apple fanboy, and my hypothesis could very well be wrong. but it is pretty safe to assume that apple's smarties gave this thoughtful consideration. so they probably deserve some benefit of the doubt, not rash conclusions. :cool:

10. raypin

1. its not innocuous
    2. it redirects upgradees to a marketing site since
    the service is not free.
    3. what would it cost Apple to simply inform the upgradees about
    mobileme in the EULA? Answer: nothing or during the installation
    process, the question like "do you want to install mobile me?"
    could simply have been added.

If this type of behavior is not sanctioned, that would open the floodgates
    to every software company to do the same.

Its all about full disclosure and giving the power of choice
    to the consumer or end user.

11. elbert

elbert Active Member

raypin, sorry to be OT, but if you want us to understand your posts better, please refrain from using the return key to create new lines. This site can take care of wrapping your paragraphs within the margin automatically. Thanks.

Back to topic, personally, I think it really is not much of an issue. I'm not going to be an Apple apologist about this, but from the looks of it, and only a couple of sites are reporting it as an issue, no one really cares. Save for the few MS fanatics who do not want anything Apple in their computers, in which case, they wouldn't have installed iTunes or Safari in their machines to begin with anyway.

12. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Anyone watched "Pirates of Silicon Valley?" As what the master said.... Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer!"

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

That quote's by Sun Tzu actually, circa 400BC. :cool:

That said, however, notice how Microsoft did not make a fuss over this *sneakiness*? That's probably because:
    1) MS is is the biggest perpetrator of this (How about bundling IE on every Win OS, without our explicit permission? And worse, threatening Dell/HP when they attempted to bundle Netscape in their PCs!);
    2) MS actually benefits from this "offensive" applet, well, because mobileme syncs with Outlook, not any other PIMs!)

So shame on Apple for doing a Microsoft on Windows users. ;)

Of course, there is a panacea: Get a Mac. :D

#14 rbenzon, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  14. raypin

You're wrong. The bundling of I.E. with Windows OS is not an issue of user's consent but rather a lawsuit prompted by Netscape and other browser companies who alleged that it was a monopolistic and illegal practice for Microsoft Window's API to prevent consumers from downloading non-I.E. browsers and using it with Windows OS.

This is different. But for what its worth, this issue is now moot since Apple voluntarily changed its policy, as stated in the article.

#15 raypin, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008