Apple Product Failures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mokmoki, Apr 25, 2018.

1. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

I just realised that I luckily managed to avoid the Apple products with known defects. I guess my strategy of always waiting for the “S-line” paid off - I rarely get first gen Apple products with the exception of the iPhone X. The thing is just too damn pretty to resist, haha.

iPhone 4 antenna issues - got the 4s
    iPhone 5 power button failures - got the 5s
    iPhone 6 bend & touch issues - got the 6s
    2012 rMBP capacitor failures - got the Late 2013
    2015 12” Retina MB IC failure - got the 2016

I wonder though - he talks from a (very capable and knowledgeable) technician’s perspective so of course he sees these issues on a daily basis.

But I wouldn’t think Apple would grow to be the widely-loved company that it is if making defective products were the norm rather than the exception?

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Well, it happens, but having been with Apple since the 1980s, and having gone through literally dozens of Apple products (usually as an early adopter), I’ve had to seek warranty repair/replacement less than five times, iirc. This last time was for the replacement of my iPhone X (swollen battery) and it was replaced in four days. So yes, with many millions of products out there, I expect that there will be lemons, and eventually I’ll get one or two, but on the whole, I’m not worried—as long as there’s a warranty (I’m also an AppleCare user).

mokmoki, ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...have not had any failure from any of my Apple devices......my first Apple device is my Apple TV first gen (not counting the Apple II and Lisa from way back then) purchased in 2008. It still works. My MBA (first gen also) still powers up (battery does not hold charge anymore). All my Apple devices ,except for the 4th Gen Apple TV, were bought on the grey market, including my Greenhills-sourced iPhone X. No warranty claim of any kind. Lucky I guess.

#3 raypin, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    ronjet, Qin Zhi and hitme64 like this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

My failure with Apple is that I buy too much of their products...that's it basically

ronjet, raypin, Sunil_K and 1 other person like this.
  5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Other than my White Macbook's cracked Palm-rests which only happened when I was about to sell it (must have happened during the transport from QC to ATC :( )

The only failures I remember are for Lightning Cables and Earpods!

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  6. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

My first iPod touch died after a few days. I had it replaced under warranty. The replacement iPod also died in within a few days, so I had the replacement replaced. When I went to claim the next replacement iPod, it wouldn't power on when I tried it there at the service center, so the replacement replacement iPod touch had to be replaced. The next replacement that arrived is beside me on my bedside table now, and still working just fine after a decade

image.jpeg

jayparalejas and ronjet like this.
  7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I do recall the hinge issue (too much free play that could result in failure of the hinges) of the first gen MacBook Air. IIRC, Apple offered to replace it for free. I brought my unit in even though the hinges were fine, as a precaution. That was the only time I experienced an Apple product "defect."

I have not purchased Apple Care. Not once.

8. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

image.jpeg Worst case scenario, you can give your device back now

9. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

maybe there's just really a vast majority of silent-but-satisfied Apple users than those who experience defects, too bad this guy's confirmation bias only sees the bad sides of Apple products.

as for my experience, i've already had quite a few trips to Apple Authorized Service Providers, and I walked out a happier Apple customer in each of those times. first was for my 5s where the battery started going bonkers a few months past warranty - apple chat agent allowed "an exception" and still had it replaced. next was for my 6s Plus battery - it started exhibiting weird behavior and extreme battery wear just under a year after it was purchased. again, replaced by apple.

the next was for my 2013 15" rMBP. the keyboard's spacebar would every now and then would get "crunchy" and emit a clicking sound/sensation every time i press it. it's kind of hard to explain and even harder to replicate in front of the apple support techs. this one took quite some back and forth, even over the phone, but eventually they agreed to replace the rMBP's top case (battery/case/keyboard assembly all in one). i had AppleCare on this, so the technician said that it should have been no questions asked as long as it was under extended AppleCare.

last one was for my wife's 13" rMBP which exhibited StainGate issues. they replaced the screen no questions asked even after warranty and without AppleCare due to the recall/repair program for StainGate (thanks internet!).

all these "failures" have made me stick with Apple because as much as naysayers diss Apple's customer support, it's still miles ahead of the competition.

p.s. i went to Senco Link makati for all these instances instead of the more popular AASP's because i figured there would be less wait time as they would have less retail customers (most are corporate clients). there are even instances like my MacBook Pro where they agreed to release the unit after diagnosis while waiting for the parts to arrive.

Qin Zhi and raypin like this.