Apple Pay

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by balikpinoy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Damn, they're really aggressive with expansion. Dunno how the Smart angle would play out though. Shouldn't they be partnering with a local bank for exclusivity?

They shouldn't be, if they're true goal is cashless txn, then they should actually be FOR IT. It would drive up adoption of their virtual cards. After all, Apple is just asking for a few percent of what they make.

I'm more surprised that most of our foreign customers/balikbayan doesn't have Paywave on their cards.

Locally, Metrobank and Securitybank are the only ones issuing new cards without contactless.

Also, good news, BDO terminals removed signature requirements for txn PHP 2,000 and below, this should make paying by card faster.

#81 rdy0329, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    ruprup likes this.
  2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ I don’t have first hand info re: local banks but just my observation on locally provided e-payment systems (e.g. Paymaya sitting on Paypal backbone) - they don’t have infrastructure built for cashless systems. So there’s nothing to ‘go against’ adoption.

Closest we have is EPS and similar, and Paymaya/Gcash which is still restrictive with manual loading - not thru banks.

ruprup likes this.
  3. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

GCash and Paymaya are now loadable online thru BPI and BDO , respectively

4. MharDelaCruz

MharDelaCruz Active Member

BDO - Yes, BPI - how?

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

*119# using your Globe phone. Choose BPI and then cash in. You must activate first though but it's seamless once set up.

Let me digress for a moment on the state of cashless payments here in the country:

1. Globe + Alipay teamed up last year, you can see the adoption of QR codes for cashless payments (same with China) but I think it's still a primitive albeit easier way to adopt the system without NFC.

2. WeChat Pay is here via AUB - but only accepts payments from China mainland tourists. What yellow nonsense is this?!

3. Paymaya QR is also a thing apparently.

4. Bangko Sentral last week launched a central system for money transfers within banks. Guess what, BPI opted to be a receiving-only bank, none of their client can transfer to another bank. Forward thinking banks like BDO and Securitybank are all in on this initiative.
    *Rate will be based on BSP's fixed rate for transactions going through the system + bank's discretionary mark up (up to them to price the said service).​

5. 7-11 is actually benefiting from cash-ins via their CLIQQ terminals (GCASH, PAYMAYA, COINS.ph) and yet they don't participate in accepting these forms of payment.
    *To appear impartial? At least accept Paywave already!​

6. COINS.ph and BEEP teamed up so you can reload your BEEP card using any android with NFC.

*BEEP, unfortunately, is a prime example of how detrimental competition of local companies are preventing adoption. Consumers doesn't know what to get and are paralyzed. Instead of adopting it, they'd rather create their own system "to keep the money in". Hello? SM e-PLUS Pathetic.​

#85 rdy0329, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. bacchus_3

^^ Banks have to provide the service to merchants/stores and not need middlemen like GCash & Paymaya to be a seamless cashless payment system. Hopefully something like initiative from BSP can push some to give in and offer it instead of a ‘third party’ again.

7. bacchus_3

BDO yes, as a partner. I meant ‘banks’ to encompass most, if not all, local banks.

I’m curious how to load Paymaya thru BPI too it’s nowhere in their help sections.

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Please let us know how to load your PayMaya account via BPI. Thanks.

9. waks13

waks13 Active Member

I think there is no way to load Paymaya thru BPI, I always load it from 7-11, its also quite convenient.

For Gcash, you can instantly transfer from my BPI account to Gcash thru their app. Gcash is also more widely accepted by merchants.

100k is the maximum balance for both apps. Don't attempt to overload, it would be hassle to get refunds.

10. b0gni

b0gni Active Member

I tried linking my new BPI debit card (with EMV chip) to GCash. For some reason, I couldn't activate my GCash enrolment through the BPI atm machine. I had multiple accounts in my new BPI card.

According to BPI Customer Service, MasterCard, the payment network of my new BPI card, doesn't allow GCash linking. I was advised to do a manual activation - going to a bank branch and request for the enrolment.

11. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

We may finally see Apple Pay officially in the Philippines soon!

Grab launched their new GrabPay Card in PH, which takes form of a virtual MasterCard for now, and is currently working on enabling Apple Pay support. (y)

DB46C767-8DD8-4169-B047-2CD8178379D8.jpeg

12. ruprup

ruprup Member

I second the motion.
    This involves investing in both internet and the terminals. Although Apple Pay uses the same paywave terminals.

13. ruprup

ruprup Member

In SG, Grab Pay is much like Paymaya and GCash - payment via QR code. Although wala pang pay with Apple Pay sa app, much like Apple Pay when checking out in some online stores, I.e. Apple Store online, ASOS

14. shale_slate

shale_slate Active Member

9029569A-685E-4AC4-8554-C9C84D236FE1.jpeg

I just noticed the Apple Pay option in settings. Does this mean an imminent launch of Apple Pay in the Philippines? I tried adding my credit cards (visa and mc) but not working yet.

15. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple Pay appeared in the Settings app on my phone tonight as well.

I tried adding some of my cards but I'm just getting the "Your issuer does not yet offer support for this card" error. I tried rebooting my phone and Apple Pay is still there in the Settings app. My region is set to the Philippines.

The weird thing is that the add card button is missing in the Wallet app.

#95 neilrg, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  16. gino0112

gino0112 Member

It seems that Apple removed the Apple Pay in the Settings app on iOS 14.

17. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

I have Apple Pay Cash on my settings; is this now working locally?

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...no Apple Pay yet. Credit or debit card needed from an issuer in a supported country.

Dekra likes this.
  19. Josef Franz Cruz

Josef Franz Cruz New Member

I recently joined Ikea's Family Membership for great discounts in shopping as soon as we can in Ikea Pasay. Theres an "Add to Wallet" option after I finished joining; lo and behold it was added to my apple wallet, and can be accessed as well to my Apple Watch.

Hope Gcash , BPI, BDO, Puregold etc follow suit for easier transaction

Attached Files:

ronjet likes this.
  20. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member