Apple Music

Discussion in 'Apple Music' started by johannes, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple Music tracks are 256kbps AAC files

We knew that Apple wasn't about to spring a surprise and offer CD-quality, lossless streams to match Tidal and Qobuz, so the smart money has always been on Apple Music offering 256kbps AAC streams.

Why? AAC is Apple's format of choice and 256kbps is what you'll get when you buy an iTunes download or use the iTunes Match service to upload your library to Apple iCloud.

There's no hint of confirmation from Apple on this, be it online or in the new Music app, which launched as part of iOS 8.4. There is however some information in the latest version of iTunes, which was released a few hours after the Apple Music launch.

[​IMG]

Head to the My Music tab, right-click on the track and then select Get Info to see the file information.

The File tab on the far right shows that Taylor Swift's Shake It Off is a 256kbps AAC file. As noted, this is the file stored by Apple Music in iCloud (see above).

Other services do also advertise their streaming rates as at 'up to...' a given bitrate, so there's nothing to suggest other services aren't doing something similar without the user's knowledge.

Reports online and our own research has already shown some widely varying streaming bitrates, which we'll do our best to make sense of ahead of our full Apple Music review.
    There's no denying you're in the dark on audio quality when it comes to Apple Music, though. Tidal and Spotify, for example, allow you to set your preferred streaming rates.

Tidal offers a choice of Normal at AAC+ 96kbps, High at AAC 320 and HiFi at FLAC 1411 (on desktop), for example. There's no such option like this in Apple Music.

While all this is of interest for how good your music sounds, it's also useful for knowing how much data you're using when you're streaming tracks over your mobile phone network.

2. ronnel0918

I love Apple Music! I'm discovering awesome artists! Here's one of 'em:

Forget.JPG

:D :) :cool: ;)

3. argonautjay

argonautjay Member

Does Apple Music have pre-set OPM playlists like what Spotify Philippines currently offers?

4. Airmaxone

Airmaxone Active Member

does it work on your iphone or ipad? try signing out and sigining in again.

5. ronnel0918

Just tried on my iPhone. It's working naman. Already tried signing out and in on iTunes but still to no avail. :(

6. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

for some reason, apple music is slow on both my ipads. there some kind of lag when browsing through the app. didn't know apple music offered videos, its one advantage over spotify. but at this point i dont think i can ditch the spotify premium yet.

chaddictMac likes this.
  7. Airmaxone

Airmaxone Active Member

mine is ok. i don't know why it's slow

8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

How about the Family sharing option? I chose the Family sharing for Apple Music. How do you start the other iOS devices? It keeps asking me if I want single or family.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

i agree... i just love the acoustic playlists of spotify with a lot of non-mainstream artists that i've never heard before.... if apple music can come up with playlists as good as spotify's then i'm shifting totally.

10. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I must say that after a couple of days of using it, I'm really digging Beats1. Lots of artists and songs I don't know but still rocking.

11. magkono

magkono Member

it was slow for eme the first few days of using it. but now it loads as fast as spotify....im slowly ready to let go of spotify! :))

12. ronnel0918

To those who have a US iTunes account, can you please check if you can see the album of Sara Bareilles titled Careful Confessions? I can't see it when I am searching for her album. I'm not sure if it's because I have a PH iTunes account.

Thanks! :)

13. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't see that album in Apple Music (US) but it looks like its on Spotify Premium.

14. ronnel0918

Thanks @xthine!

That's so disappointing. :(

15. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@ronnel0918 This is what I got when I searched for "Sara Bareilles" in Apple Music (US iTunes account):

[​IMG]

16. ronnel0918

Thanks! I can also see those albums on my PH iTunes account.

17. Airmaxone

Airmaxone Active Member

I wish you could add music to a playlist similar to spotify. you could only do that through an ios device.

18. ronnel0918

19. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

hmm not sure what exactly u mean bro, but i tried it on itunes pc and i can add songs to playlists naman, and it also automatically updates my playlist on the iphone

donzandro likes this.
  20. donzandro

donzandro Member

One affirmative to shootertwist's response. I can also do the same.