Apple Music

Discussion in 'Apple Music' started by johannes, Jun 9, 2015.

1. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Was contemplating how to listen lossless (wired) when I’m outside the house. And I just remembered could still use the iPhone 6s!

raypin, Roman and Shinahashirome like this.
  2. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Portable DAC+AMP. I'm using FiiO Q3.

raypin likes this.
  3. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Im a little confuse on this new development on apple music, so it means to say loseless sound is better than dolby atmos?

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…lossless means the track contains the original data of the recording as it was recorded in the studio by the artist instead of lossy formats like Apple’s AAC which compresses that data to make it easier to download or stream. Bits and pcs are truncated or removed. At a minimum, lossless is CD quality or 44.1 hz or sampling rate / 16 bit or depth (SQ equivalent to an actual CD). At the top end are DSD tracks which are much larger files (gig size per track) than CD tracks. For DSD playback, you need a player that is capable of decoding DSD (direct stream decoding). Dolby atmos is software and hardware that tries to virtualize a 3D sound experience using the musical data to make the music or movie track sound and feel alive or to make it as near as possible to a live performance. So, the two complements each other. You need both.

#364 raypin, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    ronjet, gaol, greta87 and 1 other person like this.
  5. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

I think I'm experiencing a bug... when I play dolby/lossless downloaded songs from my device (turned off the wifi and data), songs sometimes stops early or midway and doesn't continue.

6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

most, if not all, music producers of commercial music, do their arranging with stereo in mind. exceptions would be movie soundtracks or possibly recordings of live music performances.

gaol, max_Moon, raypin and 2 others like this.
  7. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

apple updated lossless audio info (10 Jun 2021) https://support.apple.com/en-ph/HT212183

Can I listen to lossless audio using CarPlay?
    You can listen to lossless audio with CarPlay using a USB connection. Streaming lossless audio in a car over a cellular network will consume significantly more data.

joethemobile01 and raypin like this.
  8. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

so basically to sum it up this new update on apple music, to hear the difference on dolby atmos you need the likes of an airpods...then to hear the loseless sound quality you need a compatible wired head phones right?

cause by just turning on the speaker of your iphone/ ipad alone you will not notice the difference.

Provboy likes this.
  9. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

I think they listed it somewhere in their faqs that some specified models of the iphone, ipad, and macs are capable of playing back spatial audio from their speakers. The lossless of course was not mentioned.

10. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Thanks for this. Looks like I will have to use USB na instead of Wireless CarPlay. Also noticed a slight lag on Wireless CarPlay when playing so hopefully this fixes the slight lag.

11. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

For those Beatles fans, most of their albums are not yet in Dolby Atmos but most already in Lossless.

But I found this one, which I believe has a better quality. Also in Hi-Res.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Deluxe Edition) [2017 Remix & Remaster]

ronjet, Theus and raypin like this.
  12. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Annoying bug keeps occuring. Music stops early, thinking it’s just buffering because lossless eats up bigger data, but actually playback never resume. I hope Apple fixes it.

13. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

According to a fellow GC member, he monitored the data consumption of Spatial Audio of Apple Music.

30 GB for 30 minutes of playback!

14. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

im using my airpods pro, for me dolby atmos is a big changer for me, i can really hear the difference, but the loseless audio i hardly hear the difference..
    is that because i need a wired headset in order to hear the loseless audio?

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…you need wired. Bluetooth cant do lossless. Some can hear differences. Others not.

greta87 likes this.
  16. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

I just ordered a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter just to be able to connect my iPhone to my 24-bit 192 kHz DAC. I'll properly test Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless for myself when I get the dongle.
    [​IMG]

raypin likes this.
  17. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

According to whathifi article I read, the dongle can only support up to 24-bit/48kHz.

18. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

Uhmm, what I bought is the lightning to USB A adapter that allows connection to an external DAC which is this:

[​IMG]

It's not the lightning to 3.5mm stereo jack dongle with the built-in 24bit/48kHz DAC that connects directly to wired headphones/earphones/powered speakers which is this:

[​IMG]

#378 max_Moon, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    sabsar, vic2rp and greta87 like this.
  19. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

Can someone recommend an in-ear monitor that will not break the bank?

20. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Try the Chi-Fi brands like Tin HiFi, Moondrop, or Blons. You can get good ones from less than 2k to less than 5k Pesos.

jlconferido likes this.